My sister's first cruise...and she's got questions!

lovestocruise19

My sister has a few questions that I couldn't answer for her so I thought I'd pop on here to see if anyone knew the answers.

1) Can one person book for others for the Behind the Fun tour now that we don't get our S&S cards right away? I guess her thinking is that I'd sign her up as soon as I get on the ship since I'd be on before her because I'm platinum. I'm not even sure someone can sign someone else up regardless.

2) At what time can you check in for your cruise? For example, our check in is Nov. 25. Do we check in at 12:00 a.m. (midnight) so she can pick an earlier time?

3) How much do the snorkels cost at the shore excursion desk?

4) Is Camp Ocean open while in port?

Congratulations to your sister! Introduce her to Cruise Critic, it sure helps get you in the mood. I would also suggest she gets acquainted with the search function (upper right on the page). She will surely have more questions as she goes along.

I hope the two of you have a great time.

My sister has a few questions that I couldn't answer for her so I thought I'd pop on here to see if anyone knew the answers.

1) Can one person book for others for the Behind the Fun tour now that we don't get our S&S cards right away? I guess her thinking is that I'd sign her up as soon as I get on the ship since I'd be on before her because I'm platinum. I'm not even sure someone can sign someone else up regardless. Are you in the same cabin? If so, you should be able to make the reservation for you both.

2) At what time can you check in for your cruise? For example, our check in is Nov. 25. Do we check in at 12:00 a.m. (midnight) so she can pick an earlier time? Are you speaking of on-line check in? If so, you don't have to check-in at midnight. Just do it anytime between when it's available and three days before embarkation.

3) How much do the snorkels cost at the shore excursion desk?

4) Is Camp Ocean open while in port? Hours

Hours may vary due to cruise itineraries

• Sea Days: Scheduled activities run from 10:00am-1:00pm, 2:00pm-5:00pm and 7:00pm-10:00pm. This service is complimentary.
  • Port Days: Supervised free play begins from port arrival until approximately 2:00pm; scheduled activities resume at 2:00pm until 10:00pm. This service is complimentary.

Answers in red above...Have fun :)

Answers in red above...Have fun :)

Thanks for the Camp Ocean answer. Is this the same for Circle C? My older niece will be in Circle C.

We aren't in the same cabin and I think they book them based off folio number which leads me to believe I wouldn't be able to book it for her. I probably won't go because I have done the tour before and I just spent a small fortune on shore excursions.

As for check in, yes the online check in. I guess I'm just wondering if 12:00 a.m. would be the best time to do the online check in if you want the earliest time.

As for check in, yes the online check in. I guess I'm just wondering if 12:00 a.m. would be the best time to do the online check in if you want the earliest time.
Keep in mind her room won't be ready like yours will be as Platinum. If she wants to board with you and have her room ready she should try to purchase FTTF.

Thanks for the Camp Ocean answer. Is this the same for Circle C? My older niece will be in Circle C.

We aren't in the same cabin and I think they book them based off folio number which leads me to believe I wouldn't be able to book it for her. I probably won't go because I have done the tour before and I just spent a small fortune on shore excursions.

With regard to online check-in, you should be able to start beginning at midnight Eastern time 90 days before you sail. There is no compelling reason to stay up to do this at that time, unless you want to be among the first to select your arrival appointment, which is the time slot you can arrive at the port to check-in there.

With regard to online check-in, you should be able to start beginning at midnight Eastern time 90 days before you sail. There is no compelling reason to stay up to do this at that time, unless you want to be among the first to select your arrival appointment, which is the time slot you can arrive at the port to check-in there.

Yep. I set a reminder on my phone for 6am on the day when we were 90 days out (I get up at 6) so I wouldn't forget. We ended up with an 11am arrival time.

This was in the $35 dollar range for full face snorkel and mask, like $20 for a regular snorkel and mask.

I seem to remember being able to buy a plain plastic snorkel (no mask) for $5 at the shore excursions desk. Again, no mask, only the snorkel. Full snorkel sets are available elsewhere on the ship for more money

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What ship are you on, if I may ask? We sail on the Dream November 25 (2018).

Our 90-day mark just passed and we did online check-in and set arrival appointment time at 12:01am EDT on that 90th day.:cool: We were able to get the earliest arrival appointment (11:30am) while people in our roll call who waited until later that day ended up with 12:30. That would be the only reason to check in early like that.

as a diver you do not want a $5 snorkel, you seriously want a dry snorkel, where you can not suck water into your snorkel. As to the full face snorkels, there have been some issues and accidents with these. I like to submerge even snorkeling and the full mask does not allow you to clear the pressure.

https://www.amazon.com/Calypso-Aquatics-Silicone-Mouthpiece-Snorkeling/dp/B074W9JN91/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1536278280&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=dry+snorkel&psc=1

as a diver you do not want a $5 snorkel, you seriously want a dry snorkel, where you can not suck water into your snorkel. As to the full face snorkels, there have been some issues and accidents with these. I like to submerge even snorkeling and the full mask does not allow you to clear the pressure.

https://www.amazon.com/Calypso-Aquatics-Silicone-Mouthpiece-Snorkeling/dp/B074W9JN91/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1536278280&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=dry+snorkel&psc=1

Cheap snorkels and full face masks work fine for light snorkeling, i.e. Bobbing along the surface and looking below. Obviously if you want to do anything more advanced, then better equipment can be considered. Common sense is necessary any time you're in the water and if you need a break, take a break. Most accidents are not the result of malfunctioning equipment, just user error.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What ship are you on, if I may ask? We sail on the Dream November 25 (2018).

Our 90-day mark just passed and we did online check-in and set arrival appointment time at 12:01am EDT on that 90th day.:cool: We were able to get the earliest arrival appointment (11:30am) while people in our roll call who waited until later that day ended up with 12:30. That would be the only reason to check in early like that.

Ah ha! Perfect! That is what my sister was thinking.

1) Can one person book for others for the Behind the Fun tour now that we don't get our S&S cards right away? I guess her thinking is that I'd sign her up as soon as I get on the ship since I'd be on before her because I'm platinum. I'm not even sure someone can sign someone else up regardless.

From the time you board the ship until you can get to your cabin to get your S&S cards, you use your boarding pass to make purchases. If she were to purchase FTTF, she can get on right after you and should still be able to purchase the tour. With FTTF, you can board as soon as the Platinum/Diamond and wedding parties have boarded no matter what time you check in time is. You still have to choose a time but it doesn't matter with FTTF.

Yep. I set a reminder on my phone for 6am on the day when we were 90 days out (I get up at 6) so I wouldn't forget. We ended up with an 11am arrival time.

That sounds like a nice early time to me. Been times i didnt make it on by 11 am when there were delays. awesome.

I just did the check in for my cruise and im still confised if im priority if im supposed to pick a time or put skip or what when i get to that part.

i think i got a time slot for noon or after, i hope i didnt take it away from someone who really wanted to board then.

I quit cruising so often and they changed all the rules on me, now im a novice.

I just did the check in for my cruise and im still confised if im priority if im supposed to pick a time or put skip or what when i get to that part.

i think i got a time slot for noon or after, i hope i didnt take it away from someone who really wanted to board then.

What you did was chose a time when you plan on checking in. That's what the system was designed to do. It's to keep the amount of people checking in spread out so that there isn't long lines. Let's say there are 100 people for each time slot. They plan on 100 people showing up at that time. Now if 100 Platinum/Diamond and FTTF people say they are showing up at 1:30 and all show up at noon, now you have twice as many people all trying to check in at the same time. Even though you may be priority, they still want to know what time you plan on checking in.

Even though you picked noon, you can still show up as early as when they open the doors. Granted, it throws the systems off a little but as of now, it's allowed.

3) How much do the snorkels cost at the shore excursion desk? I will answer this. Don't bother with the excursion snorkels. Buy a dry snorkel before you leave home. You can buy a brand new one for under $20 on Amazon. Excursion snorkels are the worst.You will enjoy the experience so much more with a dry snorkel of your own. JMHO.

Edited by LuckyStar

For a snorkel and mask go to a scuba shop and take advice from them for good comfort and fit. That makes for a better experience. I ignore all the fancy valves and claims on snorkels. They are bound to under perform or fail entirely. It takes five minutes of instruction to learn how to properly clear your snorkel when surfacing. We all have different faces and mouths. Get one that is comfortable and suitable for you. Same goes for your mask.

Everytime I snorkel with a cruise ship group I see masks full of fog and people missing out on the underwater vistas. I have used this simple, sanitary solution for 50 years. Put one drop of baby shampoo inside the mask. Spread it around the interior with your finger. Dip it in the water and remove immediately. Put the mask on and enjoy your dive fog free. I keep the baby shampoo in a one ounce dropper bottle.

Have a great cruise. The behind the fun tour is a terrific adventure. Good choice.