Current Sirena Transatlantic crossing while storms are churning?

cruzemaven

39 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

We are considering a "Northerly" Atlantic crossing which leaves UK late September, has 10 port stops in Canada, (Newfoundland,  Quebec,  Nova Scotia ) then heads south down the East Coast in mid October.

I was interested in other people's past experiences regarding weather, related to itinerary changes in that region at that time of year.

We are not concerned about rough seas or closed outside decks during the crossing, but we are aware that storm avoidance in that area could have a major effect on that itinerary for the Canadian ports.

Interested in others' experiences as we size up the risks with this itinerary.

Thanks.

It may or may not affect the Canadian ports  but if there is  a hurricane (tis the season)  it will surely affect  NE ports NYC & south

check the hurricane paths for  this year & few  before

of course  all could be just fine   you just never know

We haven't done a TA at that time of year in this vicinity, but we DID do a TA (Southampton to NYC) in early December some years ago.  This was on QE2.  We did have some severe sailing conditions the first few days.  After that it was fine.

(Although maybe I thought it was fine once I got the "seasickness shot"!  :classic_laugh:)

Being QE2, this was just the crossing so no ports of call, but the itinerary you described sounds very nice!  Assuming weather and the seas cooperate.

Several of us here are doing a crossing in April on Marina from NY to Southampton -- ports of call include New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Cork and Dublin in the north.  From there we have a couple of french ports before ending in Southampton.

We expect cool weather and hope for calm seas!  When I did a similar itinerary, also on Marina, in mid- to late-May 2014 the seas were generally very cooperative and of course the weather was warmer than we expect in early to mid April.

Mura

Reading about the low pressure system in Newfoundland Canada (the same that caused the winter storms in NY and Boston on Wednesday).  

Waves originating off Nfld were recorded at 56 feet and some of these waves were spotted at the Canary Islands!

That would make the chardonnay in my glass list to port!

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

There is a good thread on the Celebrity board titled " Back from TA, lessons learnt" which has a lot of comments on recent experiences.

We have done 2 crossings, both northerly as they included Iceland.

These were in July and weather was not an issue.

This one being Sept / Oct has given me pause.

I have since found another option, so will stay flexible.

Edited by Tranquility Base

34 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

This one being Sept / Oct has given me pause.

I have since found another option, so will stay flexible.

I did a northerly TA in Sept, but due to storms we missed 3 ports and had very rough seas everyday. I won't ever do that again. 

51 minutes ago, JimandStan said:

Calmer in November?  Are you kidding?  

Perhaps the poster you responded to ("floridatraversforlife")  was specifically referring to hurricanes, rather than just "storms and high seas".  According to historical research that can be found on line...over the past 132 years, hurricanes in November occurred 6.8 times less often in the Atlantic basin than hurricanes occurring in September.  Regards

4 hours ago, golfguyhhi said:

Did the TA from Barcelona to Miami in November 2016 and November 2017.  No problems, no rough seas, no missed ports.  Doing it again next November.

Glad that you had good weather before, and wish you the best, next November-

However, if you sail enough at that time of year, you will learn that the Atlantic is a crapshoot during any month with an "R" in it.

Michelangelo-accident_damage2(picc).JPG

This is storm damage to an Italian Line ship, sailing the supposedly calmer Southern Route during ApRil

A word to the wise is sufficient.  😉

1 hour ago, JimandStan said:

However, if you sail enough at that time of year, you will learn that the Atlantic is a crapshoot during any month with an "R" in it.

This is storm damage to an Italian Line ship, sailing the supposedly calmer Southern Route during ApRil

What about June, July and August? That's hurricane season in the Atlantic and August seems to be a  popular time for them to hit...along with September and October. 

I thought months with an "R" was about oysters?

Edited by Go-Bucks!

6 hours ago, golfguyhhi said:

Did the TA from Barcelona to Miami in November 2016 and November 2017.  No problems, no rough seas, no missed ports.  Doing it again next November.

Same here.  Did Nov. 2017 on Marina and weather was great. Had a wonderful time.  Hope to do Rivera  in 2020.  

Thanks everyone.

It's a Northern crossing from UK to Canada I was considering.

After Ireland there are 11 port stops in Canada, which is why I am interested about the historical itinerary disruptions due to having to take a more Southerly route out of UK.

In early October are the storms which would affect a Northern crossing more likely to be ex Hurricanes, or one of the 'nor'easters' which often head out into the North Atlantic from around the New York / Canadian Maritimes area ?

2 hours ago, JimandStan said:

Hopefully   ships  are built better now than in the 60's

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Same here.  Did Nov. 2017 on Marina and weather was great. Had a wonderful time.  Hope to do Rivera  in 2020.  

RJB - I hope you do, too!  We just signed up for that Riviera TA in Nov. 2020 this past week.  Hope to see you onboard.  Regards.

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

Thanks everyone.

It's a Northern crossing from UK to Canada I was considering.

After Ireland there are 11 port stops in Canada, which is why I am interested about the historical itinerary disruptions due to having to take a more Southerly route out of UK.

In early October are the storms which would affect a Northern crossing more likely to be ex Hurricanes, or one of the 'nor'easters' which often head out into the North Atlantic from around the New York / Canadian Maritimes area ?

Generally, yes.  The north Atlantic storms in the Maritimes tend to be the "played out" (ex Hurricanes) which have swung north up the U.S. coast.  I'm not trying to minimize them.  They can bring lousy weather with them, but it's generally not "Hurricane-force".  As a matter of fact, this October 2018, New England and the Maritimes had pretty lousy weather for a week around October 20-25.  An other Octobers......nothing.

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Hopefully   ships  are built better now than in the 60's

I suppose that hope must spring eternal.

Outside of electronics which did not exist, then, I can't think of anything that is built better now than in the 1960's

On 11/25/2018 at 5:58 PM, pingpong1 said:

Generally, yes.  The north Atlantic storms in the Maritimes tend to be the "played out" (ex Hurricanes) which have swung north up the U.S. coast.  I'm not trying to minimize them.  They can bring lousy weather with them, but it's generally not "Hurricane-force".  As a matter of fact, this October 2018, New England and the Maritimes had pretty lousy weather for a week around October 20-25.  An other Octobers......nothing.

Thanks for that...good info.

As this is a Northern crossing leading into multiple Canadian ports, I think possible schedule disruption risk is a bit too great for me.

If a route deviation South was required then it could have a big effect on multiple ports.

I'll come up with another plan for that time of year.

On 11/24/2018 at 11:53 PM, pingpong1 said:

RJB - I hope you do, too!  We just signed up for that Riviera TA in Nov. 2020 this past week.  Hope to see you onboard.  Regards.

Would be great.  Just a bit too early to get on the roll call if there even is one.  But in a few months will look for one.  Happy holidays.