Alaskan Cruise Question

Holmie

My hubby and I are looking to do an Alaskan cruise for our anniversary in summer 2020.

I’ve heard that if you’re going to splurge for a balcony, Alaska is really the one to do it for. We have only ever done interior rooms to save money, but are thinking of taking the advice we’ve been given about Alaska and getting a balcony for it. Is there a better side of the ship to be on for this? Are the views off one side better than the other? If we are going to spend the extra money, I definitely want to get the most out of it.

Also, it looks like there are two different Alaskan itineraries on Royal right now. Assuming those stay the same through summer 2020, is one preferable to the other or are they both good?

I’d be grateful for any other Alaskan specific advice, too. Thanks in advance.

My hubby and I are looking to do an Alaskan cruise for our anniversary in summer 2020.

I’ve heard that if you’re going to splurge for a balcony, Alaska is really the one to do it for. We have only ever done interior rooms to save money, but are thinking of taking the advice we’ve been given about Alaska and getting a balcony for it. Is there a better side of the ship to be on for this? Are the views off one side better than the other? If we are going to spend the extra money, I definitely want to get the most out of it.

Also, it looks like there are two different Alaskan itineraries on Royal right now. Assuming those stay the same through summer 2020, is one preferable to the other or are they both good?

If you do southbound, go for the port side.

If you do northbound, go for the starboard side.

If you do round trip, it does not matter.

If you aren't sure you will be able cruise again, taking either a northbound or southbound trip will allow you to see more of Alaska and potentially add on a land portion to get more into the interior. You can also go from Seattle or Vancouver BC. If you leave from Vancouver BC, you will probably only have Alaska ports in the itinerary. If you go from Seattle, you will stop a Victoria which is a very nice port.

There is a CC board for Alaska specific ports if you want to get ideas for excursions.

Be aware the excursions in Alaksa can be very expensive for the coolest experiences. If funds are limited so you have to choose between a balcony and excursions, I'd pick the excursions for sure! We had 3 Alaskan port stops and I think we spent about 700 per person to kayak and flightsee in ketchican, small ship cruise up tracy arm, whale watching in Juneau, and glacier point wilderness safari in Skagway.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Some random thoughts:

• If you have a starboard side balcony, and the captain announces a pod of 10 Orcas swimming along side the ship on the port side, will you see them?
  • If you have a starboard balcony, and as the ship spins around at the glacier and the glacier calves while the glacier is on port side, will you see it? I bet those inside cabin people standing up on the pool deck and helipad will have no problem seeing and enjoying everything.
  • Radiance of the Seas visits Ketchikan a fantastic (maybe the best) Alaskan port with excellent excursion options.
  • Radiance of the Seas is a one-way sailing, so you have to fly to/from Anchorage rather than Seattle.
  • Radiance leaves/arrives in Vancouver... if you choose Radiance you'll regret not staying in Vancouver at least a couple of days, beautiful world class city.
  • Ovation of the Seas is an amazing ship, and I personally feel will be one of the best ships to visit Alaska. High technology, lots of fun things on board... but the itinerary is lacking. If you're doing this trip to actually see more of Alaska, don't choose the Ovation itinerary.
  • close your eyes, take out your credit card while not looking at the bill, and do a helicopter tour at one of the ports... lifetime memory. Absolutely and totally awesome.

Be aware the excursions in Alaksa can be very expensive for the coolest experiences. If funds are limited so you have to choose between a balcony and excursions, I'd pick the excursions for sure!

This!!! 110% agree

You will never remember what your cabin was 10 years from now, but you will have vivid memories of exactly what you did on those specific days and how amazing it was just being there.

If there is a cruise that you should have a balcony, it is Alaska. There is always something to see from your balcony.

But and I know all those who have to have their balcony might disagree, but they miss an awful lot if they stay on their balconies when things are happening all around them. Like when you are by a glacier, sure you can see everything from your balcony, but not when the ship does it's 180 so the other side can see. For me, I have to be on a high deck to get a 360 perspective of what I am seeing. If you want to see whales, you have a much BETTER chance by being outside, on a high deck. Sure you can see whales from your balcony, but what if they are on the other side of the ship, Gosh, you missed it.

If you do get the balcony, don't just stay on it, get up on a higher deck for some of the more important things to see.

Cheers

Len

Some random thoughts:

•  
  • If you have a starboard side balcony, and the captain announces a pod of 10 Orcas swimming along side the ship on the port side, will you see them?

• If you have a starboard balcony, and as the ship spins around at the glacier and the glacier calves while the glacier is on port side, will you see it? I bet those inside cabin people standing up on the pool deck and helipad will have no problem seeing and enjoying everything.

• Radiance of the Seas visits Ketchikan a fantastic (maybe the best) Alaskan port with excellent excursion options.

• Radiance of the Seas is a one-way sailing, so you have to fly to/from Anchorage rather than Seattle.

• Radiance leaves/arrives in Vancouver... if you choose Radiance you'll regret not staying in Vancouver at least a couple of days, beautiful world class city.

• Ovation of the Seas is an amazing ship, and I personally feel will be one of the best ships to visit Alaska. High technology, lots of fun things on board... but the itinerary is lacking. If you're doing this trip to actually see more of Alaska, don't choose the Ovation itinerary.

• close your eyes, take out your credit card while not looking at the bill, and do a helicopter tour at one of the ports... lifetime memory. Absolutely and totally awesome.

For some reason, the idea of going in a helicopter absolutely terrifies me. Not totally sure why, as I have no problems flying.

I don’t mind spending money on travel. If we pay big for this cruise, we will probably just limit our vacation to just one that year. Right now, we have 3 7-night cruises and 1 9-night booked between New Years this year and New Years next year. I could see myself being happy just going on 1 if that 1 is really great.

I’m a teacher and my husband works loading trucks for a grocery chain, so we aren’t hugely wealthy, but we make enough to travel when we want, so long as we book early and pay off over time.

I’m considering booking the Alaskan cruise while on board because my parents said it’s worth it for the added perks. I’m not exactly sure when to expect summer 2020 to open up though. Our next cruises are dec/Jan and then end of March, so If they open in between those I don’t know if I should wait or just book online to snag the room we want

My suggestion is an Aft Balcony! They are amazing for an Alaskan cruise.

How’s the motion in aft balconies? We tend to stick midship because I get occasional bouts of motion sickness and I’ve heard midship is where you fee motion the least

This!!! 110% agree

You will never remember what your cabin was 10 years from now, but you will have vivid memories of exactly what you did on those specific days and how amazing it was just being there.

We don’t normally spend too much time in our room, so interiors are normally good for us. I love the idea of getting to sit out on a private balcony at night and/or early morning though. One of my favorite parts of cruising is finding a spot with few people and just looking out at the endless water. Since we are going for our fifth anniversary, I can definitely see myself spending a little more.

On Alaskan cruises, we spend hours a day/evening on our balcony watching the beautiful scenery and the sea life (whales, dolphin, seals). Balcony is a must. Magical!

I’ve heard this many times, including from my aunt/uncle who have done Alaskan itineraries in both inside and balcony rooms. My parents are doing Alaska in a balcony next August, and I tend to agree with them on what is best to spend more on... but... I don’t want to have to wait until they get back to book since we are shooting for late June 2020 and they are going mid August 2019

Some random thoughts:

the 11 night Ovation gets a lot of the the must see ports except Glacier bay and does the inside passage

Leaving From: Vancouver onboard Ovation of the Seas

Visiting: Vancouver, British Columbia | Cruising | Icy Strait Point, Alaska | Sitka, Alaska | Hubbard Glacier (Cruising) | Juneau, Alaska | Skagway, Alaska | Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier, Alaska | Cruising | Seattle, Washington

Our anniversary is late June, so preferably, late June. Could also do mid June or early July

June has been a total Crap shoot for at least a decade regarding weather... some years awesome, others rain and Cold for weeks. If you could Get into Mid July and onward would Be better chance of warmer Weather.

Be prepared that absolutely no one can give you advice on weather. You may have 40 degrees F and driving Rain sideways in June (and thus your balcony is useless) or 80... You just don’t know. Last few years mid May has been much better than most of June for example.

There’s a ton Of Alaska reviews and comments on this forum... just go up to the “search” tool On this page page and type Alaska.... lots and lots Of helpful Advice, different opinions, etc [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some random thoughts:

Agree about Radiance vs. Ovation. We are going on our sixth Alaska cruise next summer on Ovation, purely for the ship rather than the itinerary, which I agree is limited. We will enjoy the ports and the experience, but will spend more time on the ship than we might have otherwise. Our first Alaska cruise was a one-way, and was by far the best we have ever taken. College Fjord - oh, my!

Hubby has finally persuaded me to take a helicopter tour to a glacier this time. I may have to make Bob (Clarea) my insurance beneficiary;p!

Pat

the 11 night Ovation gets a lot of the the must see ports except Glacier bay and does the inside passage

Leaving From: Vancouver onboard Ovation of the Seas

Visiting: Vancouver, British Columbia | Cruising | Icy Strait Point, Alaska | Sitka, Alaska | Hubbard Glacier (Cruising) | Juneau, Alaska | Skagway, Alaska | Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier, Alaska | Cruising | Seattle, Washington

I think this is the one I was looking at awhile back. If we do this one, I’d need to squeak in another short cruise sometime before another long one because after all our booked cruises, we’ll be 12 points from diamond [emoji23] it’d kill me to do this 11 night and then another long one knowing our perks wouldn’t kick in until the following cruise when we’d hit the level the first night.

I like balconies, when you go into a glacier you can watch from your balcony or go up on deck and move across if whales are spotted, the spin the ships when in viewing the glaciers so you can view from you balcony.

It can be colder so viewing from the solarium can be more comfortable.

The advice on having enough of your budget for excursions is really spot on.

Visit the Alaska forum and determine which ports and what excursions are must see to you, that would determine which cruise line and which itinerary to take.

If you are planning on going to Alaska only once many say Glacier National park is a must see and not all lines go there.

June has been a total Crap shoot for at least a decade regarding weather... some years awesome, others rain and Cold for weeks. If you could Get into Mid July and onward would Be better chance of warmer Weather.

Be prepared that absolutely no one can give you advice on weather. You may have 40 degrees F and driving Rain sideways in June (and thus your balcony is useless) or 80... You just don’t know. Last few years mid May has been much better than most of June for example.

There’s a ton Of Alaska reviews and comments on this forum... just go up to the “search” tool On this page page and type Alaska.... lots and lots Of helpful Advice, different opinions, etc [emoji846]

My options are June and July only because I’m a teacher... we don’t get out until the first week of June and staff goes back first week of August. I hate using my personal days because my school pays us for each one we don’t use. And I have a hard time leaving my students unless absolutely necessary.

How’s the motion in aft balconies? We tend to stick midship because I get occasional bouts of motion sickness and I’ve heard midship is where you fee motion the least

There are no issues. Keep in mind, the ship moves slowly and it never leaves site of the shorelines. It's the best place for a balcony and it's the most coveted balcony on the ship.

There are no issues. Keep in mind, the ship moves slowly and it never leaves site of the shorelines. It's the best place for a balcony and it's the most coveted balcony on the ship.

I’ll keep that in mind. I just hope I can figure out when the itineraries will open up so I can get in right away.

My options are June and July only because I’m a teacher... we don’t get out until the first week of June and staff goes back first week of August.

Gotcha... then try for one of the last two or three weeks in July for a greater chance of better weather imo.