Speciality Restaurants

babs135

The fact that a lot of people like art auctions should have no affect on those who do not. If you don't like art auctions, then don't go to art auctions. Why are you wasting your energy railing on Cruise Critic about how stupid art auctions are?

Now, in the above three paragraphs, replace "art auctions" with "specialty restaurants."

The reason is that art auctions affect those who do not attend in several ways:

a) The auctions are seldom over in time and those attending the next event in the venue are inconvenienced waiting for it to finally end.

b) The art auctions do not have an area reserved for them 100% of the day. Thus they take over a venue part of the time. The time is more than just the time of the auction, it is also a number of hours for setting the displays up. So the venue may be unavailable for use much of a day, not just an hour or so.

c) I am not interrupted several times a day with PA announcements about specialty restaurants like I am about art auctions.

d) My cabin does not get daily paper advertisements about specialty restaurants, but I get a lot of printed ads for the art auctions.

We received a complementary specialty restaurant dinner. I looked at the sample menus on the website and was a little surprised at how large the portions were. I am diabetic and try to keep within recommended portion sizes which means about 3 oz of protein per meal. I thought that perhaps we could ask to split the smallest protein offering as an option. I also thought that regardless of what the menu says I will say that I only want about 3 oz.. I don't want to waste food. Any suggestions?

Thank you for the many helpful and at times illuminating replies :D. I've found a sample of menus from the various restaurants and although they are from 3 years ago I doubt they will have changed dramatically. I will show them to him and if anything takes his fancy then I win, if not, so be it: it's not the end of the world.

Why do you eat in speciality restaurants? DH is of the mind that having paid to eat in the included eateries why should he pay more to eat elsewhere?

I would like to try an alternative restaurant and we will be on the Regal Princess at the end of the year; so how would you 'encourage' your husband to try something different and which of the speciality restaurants on the Regal would you suggest? He isn't one for over the top fancy places.

The bean-counter answer is that the meal in a specialty restaurant is a better meal. The bean-counters at Princess

figured the cost of the meal and deducted what it would have cost to feed you in the MDR when they set the price.

Now... the remaining questions are "Do we want a special treat?" and "Do we like the menu?" For example, I read

the Share menu and always decide "I'd rather eat in MDR even if there weren't a surcharge" ;)

The bean-counter answer is that the meal in a specialty restaurant is a better meal. The bean-counters at Princess

figured the cost of the meal and deducted what it would have cost to feed you in the MDR when they set the price.;)

Sure, if Princess's goal in having a speciality resturant is to break even.

Seems unlikely.

Even if that was Princess's goal, it's not as simple as the cost of the meal, as

you have labor costs -- a head waiter/supervisor; and each waiter in the speciality

restuarant serving fewer passengers than at a station in the dining room.

More likely, how much profit do we expect this space to generate ... set the price to generate the

number of covers for achieve that profit.

Sure, if Princess's goal in having a speciality resturant is to break even.

Seems unlikely.

Even if that was Princess's goal, it's not as simple as the cost of the meal, as

you have labor costs -- a head waiter/supervisor; and each waiter in the speciality

restuarant serving fewer passengers than at a station in the dining room.

More likely, how much profit do we expect this space to generate ... set the price to generate the

number of covers for achieve that profit.

You don't count beans, do ya? ;p

"Profit" is computed as revenue minus cost, no? And "cost" includes a negative representing

the savings of not feeding you in MDR.

Thank you for the many helpful and at times illuminating replies :D. I've found a sample of menus from the various restaurants and although they are from 3 years ago I doubt they will have changed dramatically. I will show them to him and if anything takes his fancy then I win, if not, so be it: it's not the end of the world.

Babs, I apologize for taking your thread off track, yesterday, As much as I want to respond to, at least, one subsequent post, I am going to try to respect your query.

You really don't have to rely on three-year old menus. Princess has posted the current menus of all it's specialty restaurants on their web site. Here is a link:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/

As you suggested, changes are, usually, subtle. but, if you have your heart set on something, and it's not available when you arrive, that can be very disappointing. A few years ago, after working our way through our meal at Crown Grill, the server brought us the menus to make our dessert selections. I was VERY disappointed that my old favorite--Fruit and Berry Crisp--was no longer available. No, I was not interested in Norman Love Chocolates. I ordered a dish of vanilla ice cream. Yes, I know, First World problem,

I can also advise that the SHARE menu was completely revised about two years ago.

Finally, if you are interested in Sabatini's note that there is a "Sabatini's" and a "Sabatini's Tratoria." Both are good, but it would be best if you knew which restaurant was on your ship so that you could review the correct menu.

Have a great cruise and Bon Appetit,