NCL Spirit to Canary Islands

WeBeCruisinMon

I’m looking to book the NCL Spirit out of Barcelona to the Canary Islands December 2-13. Has anyone done this itinerary before and have any feedback?

Any feedback on this ship for those of you have recent sailed on it? I’ve heard it is the oldest and smallest, we don’t normally go for the ship but more for the ports.

Has anyone gone to the Canary Islands in December? What type of weather can we expect?

Is there a thread on here giving the menus for this ship? Specifically the Blue Lagoon?

Thank you!!

I’ve done a couple of Canary Island cruises on the Spirit.

Firstly, the ports. Personally I think they are nice without there being anything particularly outstanding. We have been there at Easter when we are mainly after some better weather and a fairly relaxing break. The ports are nice, but we tend to just have a walk around rather than full busy days. We’ve always found things to do.

Casablanca is a bit different though. It is interesting, but not the nicest to do by yourself. It is one of the few ports that we take a tour rather than going out by ourselves. I do quite like it though.

As for the ship, it gets fairly mixed reviews. We are booked for our 5th time on it next Summer, which says a lot about how much we like it (although it is also to do with some of the itineraries it sails). We really enjoy the terrace at the back and Henry’s Pub, and have always found the staff to be outstanding. Some people say that they think it is a big tired, but I haven’t noticed that particularly (although I’m not particularly observant about that sort of thing).

From what I understand the weather should be ok in December, although it can get a bit bumpy.

Overall I would recommend the ship and itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m looking to book the NCL Spirit out of Barcelona to the Canary Islands December 2-13. Has anyone done this itinerary before and have any feedback?

Any feedback on this ship for those of you have recent sailed on it? I’ve heard it is the oldest and smallest, we don’t normally go for the ship but more for the ports.

Has anyone gone to the Canary Islands in December? What type of weather can we expect?

Is there a thread on here giving the menus for this ship? Specifically the Blue Lagoon?

Thank you!!

Hi

We have completed this cruise several times over the winter period on various Norwegian vessels including Spirit in December. In fact have booked Spirit again for the 13th December 2018.

I agree with Keith, the first poster, and his comments. Spirit is a ship we like too. Its a manageable size, clean, nicely decorated, friendly, good vibe with nice restaurants and bars, especially Raffles Terrace at the stern on deck 11 & 12 and the Beer Garten on 13.

The ship does not have the 'bells & whistles' & attractions of more modern and larger vessels and in some ways it is showing its age. Nevertheless we have always enjoyed our time on what we consider an oversized yacht.

Not experienced really bad or rough weather at all in December in either the Atlantic or Mediterranean on this itinerary not to say it doesn't happen. It has rained and been overcast but once the Canaries are reached it always seems to be sunny and warm. Bare in mind these islands and the southern coast of Spain are major winter holiday destinations for Europeans.

I like all the ports on this cruise possibly with the exception of Casablanca. They all have a history worth exploring especially Alicante, wow the castle and old town there ! In Malaga, explore the city or take an excursion to Granada

Funchal has a stunning cable car and a beautiful promenade with bars, cafes and restaurants

In Tenerife we have taken an excursion through the national park to Mt Teide its stunning

I like this cruise as it breaks up a UK winter nicely, has a pleasant and more relaxed itinerary and on a ship that feels intimate and comfortable.

John

We have been on the Spirit twice in the last year and I have no complaints as I sail for itinerary. We were booked to do the Canary Islands in March but all the canary ports were canceled and replaced with Tangiers, marseille, Cartagena, and Palma Majorca. We didn’t get notified until we boarded in Barcelona. The sad part is we boarded earlier in Malaga and heard nothing but passengers boarding in Barcelona received news a day earlier. Coming from Canada we were not disappointed in the change but a lot of Europeans were upset as they were looking forward to the islands.

Hello! We almost did this exact itinerary in 2014 on the spirit during the same time of year. We loved it. Ask away if you have more questions.

The ship is small, we also go for the ports and don’t prefer a massive ship. It wasn’t awfully boring on the ship. I was in my early twenties and my boyfriend and I had a great time. There were almost no children on the ship. I didn’t think it was too old but it definitely wasn’t the fanciest thing I’ve seen. That doesn’t bother us (we aren’t looking for the ship with bumper carts and rollercoasters). Plenty to do I thought, but again, were not the type looking to go crazy and party for 10 days.

Barcelona was amazing, spend extra time there if that’s where your cruise leaves from. We spent almost a week beforehand. The weather there was rainy some days but not freezing. Visit the market and stay away from las rambles most of the time (tourist area with raised prices and not as authentic). Back a rain jacket, umbrella and you probably won’t need shorts. Most ports I wore capris and maybe a light hoodie. Maybe 50-love 60s (but some wind). Very walkable and transportation friendly.

Funchal - my favorite port ever. Beautiful island with amazing people. Looks like it’s out of a movie. I would take this cruise again just to visit this place. We did our own thing here. Took the tram to the top on our own grabbed a beer and took the wicker basket down. You must try it- watch videos on YouTube.

Canary Islands - we went to Santa Cruz and Tenerife, saw the volcano and did wine tastings. Both were great. It was windy here but warm enough for capris and a t shirt or very light jacket.

Granada was nice too, we walked around. Very walkable city.

Morocco- the food was fantastic, besides that there’s not a lot going on. My least favorite port. We wandered around and were followed and bombarded more than ever. I would go to Marrakech or a masque through a tour next time. Most people stayed on the boat.

As for the menu, if you google you will find it online.

Thank you for your responses. When you were there before, is the weather nice/warm enough to be at the beach or is that still too cold?

We’d be going out of Barcelona. The days at sea before and after the Canary Islands, what can we expect the weather to be like then? I know it will be cooler in Barcelona. It hoping to get some sun, warmth and deck time!

Did you have bad weather when sailing? I’ve read some reviews that the boat is very rocky.

Lastly, we’ve never been on a cruise in December or in Europe. When do cruise ships start decorating for the holidays/Christmas? I would assume since this cruise is December 2-13 it would be decorated.

Thanks!!

Thank you for your responses. When you were there before, is the weather nice/warm enough to be at the beach or is that still too cold?

We’d be going out of Barcelona. The days at sea before and after the Canary Islands, what can we expect the weather to be like then? I know it will be cooler in Barcelona. It hoping to get some sun, warmth and deck time!

Did you have bad weather when sailing? I’ve read some reviews that the boat is very rocky.

Lastly, we’ve never been on a cruise in December or in Europe. When do cruise ships start decorating for the holidays/Christmas? I would assume since this cruise is December 2-13 it would be decorated.

Thanks!!

It was too cold to go to the beach probably the entire time. I wouldn’t bank on much tanning time. On the days at sea we found it perfectly fine to sit in the hot tub or sit out with some clothes on but it was too cold to sit on the deck in a suit. The weather seemed similar the whole time, more towards the 50s and rainy in Barcelona and maybe the low 60s and a little breezy at the ports and sea days. The breeze made it cold. Morocco was the warmest but I still don’t think it would’ve been warm enough to wear a bathing suit or swim in the ocean, I get cold easily though. The weather isn’t ideal but that’s why the cruises are typically a STEAL during nov to before Xmas.

Seasickness doesn’t bother us much, it may have been a little rocky but I honestly don’t remember anything too crazy. Alaska wasn’t much worse. We had a balcony and found it nice to get fresh air if it did rock.

As far as decorations, I believe they came out in December in Barcelona but I don’t remember anything on the ship. Our cruise may have been a week before yours.

We have been on the Spirit twice in the last year and I have no complaints as I sail for itinerary. We were booked to do the Canary Islands in March but all the canary ports were canceled and replaced with Tangiers, marseille, Cartagena, and Palma Majorca. We didn’t get notified until we boarded in Barcelona. The sad part is we boarded earlier in Malaga and heard nothing but passengers boarding in Barcelona received news a day earlier. Coming from Canada we were not disappointed in the change but a lot of Europeans were upset as they were looking forward to the islands.

Why were the Canary ports cancelled? We're booked on this itinerary in March 2019. I would be really upset if the ports were changed and we weren't notified.

Morocco- the food was fantastic, besides that there’s not a lot going on. My least favorite port. We wandered around and were followed and bombarded more than ever. I would go to Marrakech or a masque through a tour next time. Most people stayed on the boat.

As for the menu, if you google you will find it online.

Thanks for the nice review! I can't believe "most people stayed on the boat" in Morocco. Morocco is one of the top tourist destinations in the world. Such a shame to miss it when you are docked right there! I get it that everyone is different and has different interests, but for most people to stay on the ship, just seems crazy.

Seriously recommend visiting Morocco if you have the chance, even if it is for just a few hours.

We did this cruise last week of November, first week of December 2017. The weather was great for Casablanca, Las Palmas, Santa Cruz, Funchal and Malaga, but it was very cold in Alicante. It was 30 degrees in Santa Cruz and when we went to Las Palmas we were able to take a nice stroll on the beach with the water lapping at our feet, there were plenty of people sun bathing.

I thought the Spirit was a lovely relaxed boat that doesn't try to be something it isn't.

The itinerary was great. As has been said by others the ports aren't anything out of the ordinary with the exception of Malaga, which I loved, and Casablanca which I thought was one of the most interesting places I have visited in a cultural way. Keith gives some great advice about going on an organised trip rather than doing it yourself. Interesting and beguiling it may be but I wouldn't want to get lost there.

• 2 months later...