Azamara, Greenwich to Lisbon: Pirouette’s observations

Pirouette

Pirouette- Thank you for a very well written and balanced blog/review. We had very similar observations on our first AZ voyage last year. One of our biggest frustrations was with the online booking engine which fortunately has gotten much better. We do have two more AZ voyages booked for 2019, both more itinerary driven than anything else. We wish AZ would either go truly all beverage inclusive or go with most river cruise line’s model: beer & wine included and cocktails & premium wine al a carte. Would be much easier for everyone. Happy travels to you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just a quick comment on wine. I don’t think that price necessarily determines the quality of wine. We have a friend who is a qualified Wine Master. On his recommendation we have bought quite a few wines from Aldi (for those not in the U.K. this is a discount supermarket). They’ve all been between £5 & £6 a bottle and all have been great. Their Exquisite range includes a lovely Muscadet and a nice Sauvignon Blanc. They also sell a gorgeous Pinot Gris in a different range.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's like everything in life you get what you pay for. Most wine experts will tell you that.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Forums mobile app

In 2008, when we took our first Azamara cruise, there were no alcoholic beverages included. You chose the cocktails and wines you wanted and paid for them. Those who didn't drink were happy, and those who drank could get exactly what they wanted. There were no questions about what was included and what was extra. It was so easy!

In 2008, when we took our first Azamara cruise, there were no alcoholic beverages included. You chose the cocktails and wines you wanted and paid for them. Those who didn't drink were happy, and those who drank could get exactly what they

wanted. There were no questions about what was included and what was extra. It was so easy!

Yes I remember it well, so much better, reasonable prices for the cruise and then pay for the extras that you want.

Sadly the good old days are gone forever.

And we can source it from many suppliers unfettered by draconian laws. I can’t imagine having to use a state dedicated liquor store like our Canadian friends!

Buying from a Provincial outlet is one stop shopping with many wines from many Countries

We can also buy direct from the winery & now ..wait for it ...we can buy wine/beer in some supermarkets or stand alone wine store :evilsmile:

For those who have asked, having the ultimate beverage package seemed to result in slower service. It was not until the end of the cruise that the servers seemed to have our regular choices at hand. I alternated between the Nicholas Feuilatte champagne and the Chardonnay (Seeker Chardonnay). It was fine but not really special. I did try the included Chardonnay one day. I believe it was Italian. I sent it back. It was not to my taste.

Reds do not usually agree with me. My spouse chose a Pinot Noir ( Willemette?) and on the recommendation of the sommelier, sampled a Chianti and a Merlot- not sure which ones.

Toward the end we were offered wines that were not part of the package and they were a nice addition. I like champagne and it is hard to go wrong with the real thing. California Moet et Chandon is also offered as part of the package for those that prefer California.

Regent is all inclusive and has superior wines. Oceania is not all inclusive and its beverage package ( there are two levels) at the premium level is more expensive. I recall that it was about $50/ pp/day. Three premium drinks or champagne daily will equal or exceed that amount. We had no complaints about the Oceania package. Silversea is also all inclusive. Their included wines were fine but not the same level as Oceania or Regent.

This is one area where Azamara really needs to improve. We were led to believe that this is a common complaint.

One of the benefits of our government liquor store is that it has a huge, global selection of wines. It is Canadian taxes that drive up our prices, but most Canadians accept (but grumble) about that. Regarding pay as you go for alcohol, I wouldn’t book with that system. I get that it may be cheaper, or perhaps ‘fairer’, but I like knowing the whole cost of my trip ahead of time. Similarly we do all inclusive Caribbean vacations for the same reason.

It has been a week since our return. Time for a summary of final thoughts. Again, thank you to all who have read and contributed to this thread. I take the time to blog each cruise and provide my observations,both positive and negative, to fellow cruisers. I am not loyal to any one cruise line. I appreciate that we all have differing priorities and that no one cruise or cruise line is perfect. I have done my best to set out the strengths and weaknesses of this cruise based on my own experiences and observations. Some may disagree with them.

From our perspective, there is a lot that Azamara does well: the White Night party, the Azamazing evening, comprehensive port shuttles, excellent gym facilities to name a few. We found the food to be as good or better than other cruise lines: Oceania, Regent and Silversea. What we found to be lacking was pre-cruise communication, on board service, the quality of the wine selections, and other than the captain, we did not find the crew to be especially friendly. The internet package is also expensive for those of us that must remain connected to home.

The embarkation in Greenwich was well-organized. It is unfortunate that we did not receive our cruise booklet with embarkation information until the day before our departure, and only after contacting Azamara to request it. I initially thought it was the fault of our TA. He had not received it either. Some passengers had not carefully read the itinerary and believed there were two days in London. Not so-the ship departed at 2 am the morning after embarkation and it was a sea day. We were aware and happy with that, others were not. Bottom line: always check the docking and departure times when considering an itinerary.

For us the itinerary was wonderful. We had three full days in London prior to the cruise then two sea days before arriving in Bordeaux for an overnight stop. The vineyards were bursting with ripe fruit-harvest was scheduled for the following week in the places we visited. The weather was warm and sunny.

We did not do any tours offered by the ship. We knew we wanted to do two days of wine tasting and touring in Bordeaux and we booked it independently through a local tour operator. It was less expensive than the ship's tour and our group was only 8 people, most also from the ship. We have an aversion to large tour groups and booking independently or rambling about on our own suits us better.

We missed one port due to dock work in St.Jean de Luz. Instead we had an overnight in Bilbao. This allowed us a half day to explore the outside of the Guggenheim museum and return the next day for the inside. We would have been rushed seeing the outside and the inside in one day-so much to see! Again, regular modern shuttle buses were available from the ship to the center of town.

We knew nothing about our next two ports, Gijon or A Coruna: they were both lovely cities on the Bay of Biscay with considerable history.

Porto was delightfuland again there was a shuttle bus provided. We had been to Lisbon before and it is also a beautiful historic city. Too bad about the taxi strike! Apparently similar strikes have been occuring in many European cities as a protest against UBER and other ride sharing services. We were happy to have booked an independent transfer for our early morning flight on departure day.

Now that life has returned to its normal cadence, it almost as if we have never been away! We enjoyed our cruise for the itinerary, the food and the relaxation. The outdoor spaces on the pool and sun decks are lovely and well maintained. That being said, but for the itinerary, the on board experience was not on the same level as several other cruises we have enjoyed in the last few years. That is not to suggest that it was bad, only that we had higher expectations based on Azamara's promotional materials and reviews on this board.

As I have said elsewhere, the quality of the wines and spirits on the Ultimate Beverage package is less varied and inferior to those offered on the Premium Beverage Package on our last Oceania cruise, on Regent and on Silversea. Bar staff still struggle with which items are included and which items attract a surcharge. Azamara has other better wines available, but they are not included and this is unfortunate. Again, this would not prevent us from chosing Azamara again, but if fine wines and spirits are important to you, be prepared to pay extra or bring your own.

We liked the informality, the variety and quality of the food and the itinerary. We also enjoyed being able to dance late into the night at the disco. We missed the proper "afternoon tea" (not the self serve option in the Living Room), hot and cold hors d'oeuvres with our pre-dinner drink (yes, they are available, self serve in the Living Room) and the attentive service we have experienced on other ships.

Would we chose Azamara again? Yes, if the itinerary is interesting and fits within our schedules. We would likely choose a larger cabin next time. Last minute booking on this occasion did not afford a choice. Holidays for us are about couple time and for that, the cruise was enjoyable.

Many thanks for your honest review.

We love Azamara but it is so refreshing to read a review highlighting both the positives and the negatives.

Reds do not usually agree with me. My spouse chose a Pinot Noir ( Willemette?) and on the recommendation of the sommelier, sampled a Chianti and a Merlot- not sure which ones.

Enjoyed reading your blog/review, Pirouette - thanks!

On the topic of your spouse's choice of wine, I am a fan of Willamette Valley Pinot Noir, their 2016 is lovely.