Freestyle Dining and possibly sharing dinner table

Rassa

We have been on 2 NCL cruises. One to Hawaii about 2007. We enjoyed the Freestyle Dining but passengers had the choice of joining others on a bigger table or dining for two alone. We actually loved going to dinner when we liked and joining others for dinner. Generally every night we were with different people.

The 2nd NCL cruise was on the Jewel - most of the tables were only for 2. The second night, a waiter was having a bad night and took it out on me so we never went back. I know I should have said something, but I didn't, but may-be next time I possibly would.

Anyway I have seen a great cruise on Norwegian Spirit and would like to know if one could ask to join others for dinner as the waiters allocate us a table, when entering the dining room? Something similar to Select Dining on Celebrity - they ask if you want a table for just 2 or a share table. Would be grateful knowing.

Rosie

Ask at the Matre'd desk of the MDR, although you'd have to be paired with another couple that requests it. Best chances would be to go during a very busy time, when they will ask others "Do you mind sharing a table?" At 6PM, when the place is mostly empty, no one is going to be asked that.

I would suggest you join your cruise roll call and let folks know you'd love to have dinners with "new friends" on the cruise.

I often sail solo and go to the solo group. I have met people there and we've chosen to dine together. Sometimes just one other person, but on the Christmas cruise in 2016 we had bigger groups. Last year I met another solo traveler on an excursion. I'm the type that will dine solo and be comfortable, but I certainly have enjoyed company.

Edited by Nola26

I agree with joining the roll call for your sailing. That will give you the best opportunity to meet others who would like to get together for dinner.

I remember being asked if we'd like to share a table when sailing on the Norwegian Majesty in 2007 or 2008. I can't recall being asked since.

I can’t recall ever being asked if I wanted to share a table on norwegian. I’m sure you can ask about sharing a table, but not sure how many want to share so don’t know if it would create a wait.

Confused about the second point that when after the waiter was rude you didn’t go back. You aren’t assigned a dining room or wait staff on norwegian. Most ships have at least 2 MDRs plus 1-2 other complimentary sit down restaurants. There are plenty of choices if you don’t care for a waiter one night. Either go to a different MDR or go to the same and request a different section.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums