Anyone ever get a new itinerary before sailing due to weather? (florence!)

tabprincess

We are sailing on the Getaway this Sunday, Sept. 16th and I am assuming we will be going nowhere near the Western Caribbean as our original itinerary states with Isaac bearing down on it. (Costa Maya, Cozumel, Roatan and Belize. )

Does anyone have any experience as to when we might be notified of our alternate ports? It would be nice to have a little time to plan something ahead of time for the new ports!

I managed to get my flight through Charlotte on Sunday changed to Saturday through Chicago, so I am very happy about that!

Safe travels to everyone always, but especially in the next few days....

A few years ago we cruised during a hurricane and were almost diverted; we were only notified of a change to alternate ports when we checked in at the port on embarkation day. As luck would have it though, 4 hours later, by the time of sail away, an announcement was made that we were going back to the original itinerary with only a slight time change b/c the storms path had changed again. Given that the path of these storms can change in minutes, I don't imagine the cruiselines make the call to change an itinerary until the last possible minute. Have a great cruise, wherever you end up going and be safe.

A few years ago we cruised during a hurricane and were almost diverted; we were only notified of a change to alternate ports when we checked in at the port on embarkation day. As luck would have it though, 4 hours later, by the time of sail away, an announcement was made that we were going back to the original itinerary with only a slight time change b/c the storms path had changed again. Given that the path of these storms can change in minutes, I don't imagine the cruiselines make the call to change an itinerary until the last possible minute. Have a great cruise, wherever you end up going and be safe.

Thank you!

I am on the same cruise and we have wondering the same thing. I would rather re-route than have soggy weather the whole time. We are headed out of Boston Saturday morning on Jetblue straight shot down. No layovers. Thank goodness or we would not be going.

Isaac is real tricky. While moving reliably westward at the moment, it is weakening, and forecasters are talking about it dropping to depression or dissipating completely. But models show it turn NW toward Jamaica and The Cayman Islands out 5-6 days. Strength, and path beyond are impossible to predict. Forecasters call it a "low confidence" forecast - So stay tuned.

It happen to us in 2013 in another cruise line, we were supposed to go Canaveral, Turks, Saint Marteen, St Thomas, San Juan but when we left Canaveral a hurricane was due on Turks so the ship hugged the coast of Cuba (6 miles away according to captain) and Haiti from there we went straight to St Thomas and reversed the itinerary stopping at Turks 5 days later after storm had passed, it was very smooth sailing both ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We sailed a Caribbean cruise several years ago while a hurricane was working it's way nearby. We called it the "Mystery Cruise" as every night during dinner the Captain would come on and discuss our route and where we were going to port the next day. The only port from the original itinerary we made was St Thomas, and the other 4 ports were surprises. We were with some friends, and we all decided to make the best of it and embraced the randomness of it. It ended up being so much fun, and we've referred to it ever since as the Magical Mystery Cruise.

I’m on this cruise to. I agree just get me on and I’m optimistic that the captain will steer us to clear skies. I’ll miss Roatan,Costa Maya and Cozumel my favorites on this cruise. Belize is a joke of a private island for NCL I just stay on the ship there. Anyway I’ll see everyone Sunday! Bring on the FUN

I’m on this cruise to. I agree just get me on and I’m optimistic that the captain will steer us to clear skies. I’ll miss Roatan,Costa Maya and Cozumel my favorites on this cruise. Belize is a joke of a private island for NCL I just stay on the ship there. Anyway I’ll see everyone Sunday! Bring on the FUN

I agree with missing Roatan and Cozumel. Never been to Costa Maya, but was looking forward to it.

If I may ask, why is the private Island in Belize a joke? I have never been there either...

It’s NCL private island in contractual agreement with the Belize Government. Bars and Restaurants are charged by cash or credit card only. Any UBP or Other Perks can’t be used here. It a huge pool great for suntanning lots of chairs and zip line which also costs extra. Your keycard is valueless here. I stay on the ship,grab a great lounge chair by the pool and enjoy all my Perks with No extra cost..... Since it’s your first time there,check it out but bring $$$$

Costa Maya has $20 Hour Massages right on the Beach and the Food is Great.

We had booked an eastern Caribbean on the Escape last year for the first week of October. It ended up being switched to the western itinerary due to last year's hurricane. We were definitely disappointed because we like the eastern ports a lot better than western, but obviously it was understandable under the circumstances. We still had a great time but it definitely wasn't what we had spent 6 months planning for.

we sailed a caribbean cruise several years ago while a hurricane was working it's way nearby. We called it the "mystery cruise" as every night during dinner the captain would come on and discuss our route and where we were going to port the next day. The only port from the original itinerary we made was st thomas, and the other 4 ports were surprises. We were with some friends, and we all decided to make the best of it and embraced the randomness of it. It ended up being so much fun, and we've referred to it ever since as the magical mystery cruise.

……...:d...…..

We are headed out of Boston Saturday morning on Jetblue straight shot down. No layovers. Thank goodness or we would not be going.

As long as you fly around that big hurricane named Florence that will be smack dab between Boston and Miami,,,, you'll be fine.

But,,, watch for Kirk forming in the western Caribbean.

We are sailing on the Getaway this Sunday, Sept. 16th and I am assuming we will be going nowhere near the Western Caribbean as our original itinerary states with Isaac bearing down on it. (Costa Maya, Cozumel, Roatan and Belize. )

It happens often, but has never affected us. At leasttrn

Does anyone have any experience as to when we might be notified of our alternate ports? It would be nice to have a little time to plan something ahead of time for the new ports!

I managed to get my flight through Charlotte on Sunday changed to Saturday through Chicago, so I am very happy about that!

Safe travels to everyone always, but especially in the next few days....

It happens often but never to us. At least not yet. I know we are already wondering about our cruise which isn't until Feb. We leave from San Juan and there is a storm coming close right now. Of course this doesn't really mean much at this time. We all know most of these storms do not ever live up to the panic we all feel and see. And yet, we also know what last year was like. How culd we forget.

I am sure you will be just fine. Boy were you lucky and smart to change your flight out. Have a good time.

I agree with missing Roatan and Cozumel. Never been to Costa Maya, but was looking forward to it.

If I may ask, why is the private Island in Belize a joke? I have never been there either...

We loved Roatan and Cozumel, wouldn't get off the ship again for Costa Maya. We also loved Harvest Caye, although we had to pay for drinks and food, etc (just like any other port) we thought it was beautiful, fun and a lot to offer. IMO Harvest Caye was much better than Costa Maya. Have fun and stay safe.