Cruising in December vs June

Lalory77

According to the Accuweather website, the typical Miami December temperatures are 76 degrees F to 69 degrees F.

“Typical” being the key word. I lived in Miami for a few years and yes, the temperatures during the winter months do stay comfortably in the 70’s, sometimes higher, sometimes lower. But if there’s a cold front sweeping through, temperatures can dip in the 50’s, sometimes even in the 40’s. Heck, one time we even had a freeze advisory. Not common but it can definitely happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

“Typical” being the key word. I lived in Miami for a few years and yes, the temperatures during the winter months do stay comfortably in the 70’s, sometimes higher, sometimes lower. But if there’s a cold front sweeping through, temperatures can dip in the 50’s, sometimes even in the 40’s. Heck, one time we even had a freeze advisory. Not common but it can definitely happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I get it completely - not unfamiliar with southern FL weather as well. My point - primarily to the OP - is that while it can be questionable at the FL departure ports that time of year, it clearly is not an issue in December in the Caribbean. :)

We are thinking about taking an Eastern Caribbean cruise the 1st week of December out of Miami. I’m just concerned about weather since we normally cruise during the early part of June. Anyone that has cruised during the month of December that can give me some info on weather would be helpful. I read somewhere that December tends to be a “rainy” month in the Caribbean. Thanks for any replies :)

December cruises are wonderful. The temperatures are a little better than in the summer, and the islands are green and ready for visitors. The rain comes and goes that time of years. It is typical spotty showers, and rarely an long event.

Hi

Great time of year to travel to the Caribbean, better prices as well.

And it’s very entertaining to hear Christmas carols played on steel drums! Early December is a great time to cruise in the Caribbean. Hurricane season should be over, and kids are mostly in school, so prices tend to be a bit cheaper.

We are thinking about taking an Eastern Caribbean cruise the 1st week of December out of Miami. I’m just concerned about weather since we normally cruise during the early part of June. Anyone that has cruised during the month of December that can give me some info on weather would be helpful. I read somewhere that December tends to be a “rainy” month in the Caribbean. Thanks for any replies :)

Here is an example of the monthly average weather for St. Thomas:

St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands Weather

Temperature (Fahrenheit)

JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec

High 84 84 85 86 87 88 89 89 89 88 87 85

Low 73 73 74 76 78 79 80 79 79 78 76 74

Precipitation Days

Days 4 4 3 3 4 3 4 5 5 5 6 5

Humidity

Percent 64 62 62 66 69 67 67 68 71 72 72 68

Here is an example of the monthly average weather for St. Thomas:

St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands Weather

Temperature (Fahrenheit)

High 84 84 85 86 87 88 89 89 89 88 87 85

Low 73 73 74 76 78 79 80 79 79 78 76 74

Precipitation Days

Days 4 4 3 3 4 3 4 5 5 5 6 5

Humidity

Percent 64 62 62 66 69 67 67 68 71 72 72 68

I like your matter-of-fact presentation of the climate conditions (of the region.)

The thing is, everyone has a different definition, concept, preference, and/or level of tolerance to environmental conditions. It makes me LOL when I read that, for example, Nassau Bahamas in November (where I will be cruising to this November) is cold ... when generally speaking, temperatures at this time of the year over there would be in the 80s ~ 70s range. To me, this is HOT! I have a low tolerance for hot weather with strong sun and prefer cold over hot if I must choose between the two. I do realize that this temperature range to most people is just about perfect though.

When I was in Bermuda this past June, it was so miserably hot and humid that I could only manage being on land twice, for not more than 30 minutes each time :o ... hence, booking another cruise but in the cooler months, hoping for more comfortable outdoor conditions this time. ;)