Royal “allures” carnival girl: A comparison story.

amsred2

We are staying there in May. Can u tell us how it is ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I maybe imbibed a little bit too much to write coherently tonight but I will recap my day, including my flight and hotel, as soon as I stop seeing double.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I still need to recap yesterday but a quick note about the check-in process so far. It has been super smooth. We walked into the terminal looking like the lost tourists we are. We were checked in via a tablet before we even got in a line. Boarding hasn't started ut so the have us seated by order of arrival. Being new to RC, we are in the general cattle section instead of the Prime USDA section, but it is still pretty organized. I guess they have to be with 6000 passengers.

Below are a few pics of the terminal and waiting area. The only downside so far is we are seated by a kids' play area. Smart idea for those with littles, but I will be spending the rest of my vacay as far away from the squeels and screams of those cherubs as possible. da2486a56565a68f1de5ef7861ce36bd.jpg6a514d438027adfa4e4c561f735a8bd3.jpg542da3f833768f545e8e8b84ebfde1c3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Exciting!! I had no idea there was a kids area in the terminal - that’s so smart to give an appropriate place for them to play instead of making everywhere an ‘appropriate’ place to play. That being said - I’m sure you won’t have much trouble enjoying kid free time on board...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are staying there in May. Can u tell us how it is ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have stayed there twice and its perfectly fine. Nothing fancy, but the room is big and clean. They have a free breakfast in the am. They also have a restaurant/bar on site as well as a place to purchase something that you might have forgotten. We have left our car there several times with no problem. They also have a shuttle that takes you to the port, they have that system down to a science!

Hope she hasn’t forgotten about us and comes back with her comparison!

We went the other way—tried Carnival after many Royal cruises. The food was good, cabin and service okay, but...we won’t go back.

We are trying Celebrity in December before our next Royal Cruise in April. Should be closer to what we’ve become accustomed to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hopefully she hasn’t posted in a while because she’s having such a wonderful cruise that she just doesn’t have the time or desire to go on the internet. We always disconnect when we cruise and we just enjoy the vacation. The only exception is the one coming up in April because we want to video chat with our sons everyday since this is our first cruise without them. So we got the surf and stream for one device, but that’s all we are using it for.

Can’t wait to read about her opinion but hope she’s having a wonderful time!

I have been thinking the same thing! I have been checking for her updates daily. All the pre-cruise writing had me wondering what she would post during the actual cruise. Anyway, I hope she is having a blast so much so she forgot to post!

CHAPTER 2: The year that changed my mind and my life.

Warning: This part of the story does not carry with it my usual satire and you may even need a tissue. Feel free to skip to the live review starting September 29. However, it is important to me to tell this part of the story. I promise it will be the only part of this voyage that isn’t filled with fun facts, fabulous information, happy memories and possibly/probably a few drunken tall tales once the cruise begins.

I never felt the need to take any grand adventures or big risks. After all, we were a military family and every move, every new duty station, was already more of an adventure than I was comfortable with. By nature, I am not a risk taker and do not like to do things outside of my comfort zone. Although initially excited, that first cruise was a big step for me and of course it BOMBED!

After the cruise from Hell, I recovered and went on with daily life, cemented on the idea that I was meant to stay, not only on dry land, but also in my nice cozy, safe lifestyle.

Really there isn’t much to tell in the ten years that followed. We changed duty stations every couple of years, our kids turned into teenagers, hubby grew in his career and I held down the fort while he was deployed. We enjoyed all the necessities, and a few luxuries, but never another real vacation. I was to scared to spend the money on another catastrophe.

In the meantime, my parents had discovered a new zest for life and a new hobby: cruising. Most of my adult life I lived far away from my parents but I regularly spent hours on the phone with my mom. Once she found a love for the sea, she wanted to share it with everyone…all the time. Pretty much every conversation was how great the food is, how you get “one stop” for entertainment, gambling and shopping. She would coo over how relaxing a cruise is and how it made my parents feel like kids again. I would roll my eyes as she droned on about how I should give it another shot and how I can’t judge a whole industry on one incident that was “pretty much your own doing”. Mom never nagged me to make her a grandparent (maybe cuz I made her one at 44 and by this time she had 13 grandkids) but now I kind of know how those childless children feel. She nagged me relentlessly to take a cruise with her. I always mumbled a “No. It cost too much” or “The Seasickness” or “Too much time away from the kids” (who were old enough to take care of themselves).

During one of our visits home, I sat facing her at the table were she implored me to go on this fancy ship with a fancy cabin and a… BUTLER! Her face was radiant as she lamented how great it would be for her and I to get pampered while my dad and hubby went scuba diving (like me, mom was not adventurous and scuba was not our idea of a good time). She would pay for everything; flights, scuba qualifications for hubby, cabin, tips, spa treatments and even a night at the steakhouse (this made me begin to crack a little).

Seeing the look on her face as she practically begged me to go…I caved. I gave hubby the look that said “be quiet, it’s done!” and it was decided that we would cruise with them in five months’ time. She was so over the moon that within five minutes (not exaggerating) mom had booked flights, cruise, pre-cruise scuba certifications and hotel.

Now all our conversations would be about upcoming tours, ports, spa packages and pre/post cruise fun. I loved doing all the dreaming and scheming with her during the time “in-between”. A few months later, hubby was scuba certified and my parents were off to a “pre-cruise” cruise.

She wasn’t feeling great during that cruise and did not come back bragging about how wonderful it was. We new something was wrong and finally convinced her to go to the doctor, but it wasn’t good news.

Her first thoughts after hearing her devastating diagnosis were about our cruise together. She demanded that we NOT cancel and made us promise to continue the voyage…no matter what! We cried “nonsense” and insisted that she would make the cruise just three months away.

Six weeks later mom was gone!

As a tribute to her, we went on the cruise that she had so excitedly booked. As promised, we embarked the ship with heavy hearts. But as the smell of the salty air and the crackle of sail-away excitement overtook me, it was as if I was seeing it all though her eyes and my love for the sea was forever rooted in my soul.

It will always haunt me that we never got to share those precious memories together, but now I take her in my heart, and feel her with, me on every voyage.

Next Up:

Happier times and how I got to be a Carnival girl!

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your mom. Definitely needed tissues.

I had the same thing happen with my husband.

We had booked "his dream cruise" to Alaska for June of the following year.

In the fall he was diagnosed with terminal cancer and passed away 10 weeks later.

We, too all went on the Alaska cruise in his memory and called it his "memorial" cruise.

I know he was there with us in spirit.

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your mom. Definitely needed tissues.

I had the same thing happen with my husband.

We had booked "his dream cruise" to Alaska for June of the following year.

In the fall he was diagnosed with terminal cancer and passed away 10 weeks later.

We, too all went on the Alaska cruise in his memory and called it his "memorial" cruise.

I know he was there with us in spirit.

Sorry for your loss as well. My brother in law just passed away suddenly last week. He was scheduled to cruise with us this coming February. Working on cancelling cruise and getting refund. I was able to get refund for air very easily thru Expedia. Although he has cruised with us in past years, he will be missed. So it will be hard to look across the hall and not knocking on the door to see if he is ready for Dinner. Enjoy, and make the time for family while you can. Time is too short. We had booked an Alaska cruise many years ago, but had to cancel it to go on a cruise with late brother in law as he was getting married on a Carribean cruise. We never got to go on an Alaska cruise. Don't think it is in the cards for us, as I have knee arthritis really bad and can't walk or do steps without pain. We have been doing the smaller ships as late, but planning on taking my scooter on the Anthem and Symphony cruises we have booked for 2019 and 2020.

I'm not planning a cruise on Allure nor have I never cruised on a Carnival ship, so I'm not sure why I clicked on your thread...but I'm so glad I did!! Loving this and can't wait to read about your cruise!

So sorry about the loss of your mom!

Eeyore

Eerie - same. But she reeled me in with the very first post!

K

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk