Winemaker's dinner

gibsonsgolfer

Sometimes your roll call will set one up for those that want to join. Looking at your roll call, that is not the case. You need to call the Dine Line and schedule one, or talk to the Matre De'. Hopefully there are enough people wanting to do it to get one scheduled.

• 5 months later...
On 9/17/2018 at 5:05 PM, ksm77 said:

The Royal & Regal are the only ships that offer the Winemaker's Dinner. It is well worth the cost. I would highly recommend it. I have done it twice on the Regal.

Majestic has it as well.  When the next ships come on line, I would expect it there as well.  There is a special location in one of the DR's they use - typically the one with all the wine bottles.  It was in Symphony on Majestic. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 8:34 PM, Mrs Clooney said:

What is DW???

There used to be a page listing all of the CC acronyms but the link I was going to post goes to the old forums that are no longer available. You know, the ones that were totally easy to navigate and worked great? I just did a brief search on this new (sucky) site and didn't find the list. Most can be easily figured out though such as DW: Dear Wife, DD: Dear Daughter, DH: Dear Husband, etc. Some will be less intuitive. Wish I could find the full list to post a link for you but it may well have gone away completely with these "new and totally sucky" boards.

6 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Majestic has it as well.  When the next ships come on line, I would expect it there as well.  There is a special location in one of the DR's they use - typically the one with all the wine bottles.  It was in Symphony on Majestic. 

There’s a Wine Cellar in both of the midship dining rooms...Symphony (5) & Concerto (6)...and they’re also there on the Sky & Enchanted deck plans.  The Sky has renamed the MDRs...Soleil-5 (Sun); Estrella-6 (Star); Cielo-6 aft (Sky).

85CC620B-428F-4AF7-8560-40926C0AEFD5.jpeg

CE33CEB2-60C7-49F9-B1ED-1127E0B3F833.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 11 months later...

WINEMAKERS Dinner ... can we book this ahead of time or do we need to wait until we are on board?  I would love to surprise my husband with this one of the nights!  We are on Royal Princess July 25 Northbound Alaska 7 nights

Edited by SixGals

33 minutes ago, SixGals said:

WINEMAKERS Dinner ... can we book this ahead of time or do we need to wait until we are on board?  I would love to surprise my husband with this one of the nights!  We are on Royal Princess July 25 Northbound Alaska 7 nights

It can only be requested on the ship...calling the DINE line early on embarkation day we’ve been able to enjoy this wonderful dining experience ($40) on each of our six Royal-class cruises.  Seating is limited to 12 passengers & on a weeklong cruise it might be available a couple of times.

I’ve read posts that it’s also possible to request it from a headwaiter in the dining room open from noon to 1:30 during the embarkation day lunch (we either go there or to Alfredo’s Pizzeria).

It should be possible to surprise your husband if you call to make the reservation & open the letter they send to your cabin confirming being assigned & more details.

Here is the menu & entree/dessert we recently enjoyed on the Sky which has been the same on the Royal & Regal.

D27A99F7-6E9A-4E92-9A70-8E942DEF1F39.jpeg

D8CB96ED-F9AA-4E73-AD24-922E3AA55136.jpeg

6DB6098E-F2FF-43FD-AA60-2AB4821D3CBC.jpeg

07A3D1DE-6ABA-40B5-B2AC-1F30121826A6.jpeg

SixGals, on our AK cruise on the Royal Princess, last September, I don't think they offered the Winemaker's Dinner.  (I did ask.)  However, on our first visit to Sabatini's the headwaiter invited us to a SuperTuscan Dinner that was held in the Sabatini's room towards the end of the cruise.  I have to say it was outstanding--both the wines and the meal.

So, if you have no luck with a Winemaker's DInner, ask about a SuperTuscan Dinner.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XBGuy said:

on our AK cruise on the Royal Princess, last September, I don't think they offered the Winemaker's Dinner.  (I did ask.) 

Ours have usually been on sea days which in Alaska has few of them & could be why it wasn’t offered on your cruise.

4 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Ours have usually been on sea days which in Alaska has few of them & could be why it wasn’t offered on your cruise.

We were on the 12-day Los Angeles roundtripper and had six sea days.  (If you want to add the day that we made an "administrative" stop at Victoria and nobody was allowed to leave the ship, you could say we had seven sea days.)  I think it's a "one or the other" choice they make.  No big deal.  As I stated, I really enjoyed the event we attended--and my wife absolutely loved the two-top table we had next to a seaview window.

12 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I really enjoyed the event we attended

Maybe we’ll have the Super Tuscan meal available to attend on the Royal this Spring...like you others have posted about how much they have enjoyed it.  Once we signed up on a Royal TA until learning the price had increased from $60 to $105 because an over $500 bottle was added as a tasting.

Edited by Astro Flyer

19 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Maybe we’ll have the Super Tuscan meal available to attend on the Royal this Spring...like you others have posted about how much they have enjoyed it.  Once we signed up on a Royal TA until learning the price had increased from $60 to $105 because an over $500 bottle was added as a tasting.

Wow. 

I would have been there in a heartbeat.

We had the poor man's $60 edition.  The night before the ST Dinner we attended the Chef's Table.  The CT was nice, but the ST Dinner (even the low-dollar version we had) blew it into the weeds.

2 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Wow. 

I would have been there in a heartbeat.

We had the poor man's $60 edition.  The night before the ST Dinner we attended the Chef's Table.  The CT was nice, but the ST Dinner (even the low-dollar version we had) blew it into the weeds.

Thanks...we had the $40 ST tasting on the Royal’s inaugural TA in 2013.  That was small tastes of hot appetizers with wine that topped out at about $200.

4 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Once we signed up on a Royal TA until learning the price had increased from $60 to $105 because an over $500 bottle was added as a tasting.

Over-the-top and unnecessary IMO.  I'd back out in that situation and wine is a must for me with dinner, but not happy to pay an inflated price due to a jacked-up bottle.

11 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Over-the-top and unnecessary IMO.  I'd back out in that situation and wine is a must for me with dinner, but not happy to pay an inflated price due to a jacked-up bottle.

Oh we canceled after our MDR waiter informed us of the higher price.  He apologized which wasn’t necessary because he didn’t add a $500+ bottle of wine resulting in the higher price.  Like you, I have wine with dinner on cruises & sometimes at home but don’t need such expensive wines to please my tastebuds. 🍷 

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks...we had the $40 ST tasting on the Royal’s inaugural TA in 2013.  That was small tastes of hot appetizers with wine that topped out at about $200.

Ours was a full-on sit down dinner,  Like. I assume, yours was, we were offered a single glass, and they were standard pours, of the various wines.  Since Mrs. XBGuy is, primarily. a white wine drinker, she would take a sip of the reds and give me the rest of hers.  We were not offered any $200 wines.  (Was it Ornellaia that you had?  That is, certainly, a good one.)  The spendiest wines that we were offered were Tignanello and Luce della Vite which are both in the mid-$100 range on the Princess list, and both of which I enjoyed.

Lest some reader think that Mrs. XBGuy was disappointed because she did not get very much white wine, rest assured she loved the dinner.  She was absolutely gushing afterwards.  Not only did she enjoy the meal, but she is cognizant of the "best" tables in any room. and she was loving her seat in the corner next to the window.  Mr. XBGuy, being something of a troglodyte, is pretty my nonchalant about which table he is seated.  On the other hand he has been married long enough to know the truth in "Happy Wife, Happy Life."

• Like 1