My TA won't book MSC

Baatman

When we once asked a Princess rep if they would match a deal offered by a cruise agency the Princess rep told us "we do not compete with our authorized agencies since we want to encourage their business."

Hank

A Cruise Consultant on MSC once told me something very similar when MSC first began to sell future cruises onboard.

I found a report dated 2016/2017 that answers a lot of questions about cruise commissions.

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/library/TMR/cruise-report-card/files/assets/common/downloads/publication.pdf

While I believe that most of the info is correct, I did note that the subject of rebates differed from my personal experience.

One basic fact:

- Higher volume agencies receive a higher % commission - generally 16 -17% of commissionable revenue as opposed to a base of 10%

We recently booked MSC YC 16 Days with an agent with a large online agency that has typically provided us 8-10% in OBC or rebate. She mentioned in passing that they do not do much with MSC. She gave us 5% for the MSC booking. I suspect that they are in a 10% MSC commission tier.

We then had a short 7 day MSC family trip come up (no YC). So we solicited bids on the well known site that allows you to do that. Even though it was much less expensive than the YC booking, we got a few offers of 10% from other large, well established online agencies. I suspect that they were at 17% tier.

To the OP's original question... It may be that there are still many agents/agencies that have not achieved a higher commission tier with MSC. And given that MSC is experiencing a learning curve with it's stated ambition to earn a larger share of the NA cruise market, they are more difficult to communicate with. Our first hand experience with their call center is that they vary from dreadful to excellent. So some agents/agencies may be taking a pass - at least for now.

In any event, there are agents ready and willing to book MSC and to give up to 10% OBC.

• 2 weeks later...

I have first hand experience of an agency refusing to sell MSC. My preferred agency sold me a MSC cruise in April of 2015. Back then they were terrible to deal with. The website was worse than it is now and MSC call sites had extremely long holds. The 'straw that broke the camels back' was the security data breach. My agent said that she did not want to put her customers at risk and was no longer selling MSC by the time I was ready for MSC cruise #2. Americans (me included) are often shocked when we are told no as our culture promotes the 'customer is always right' philosophy. This isn't the case with MSC (and in some ways I applaud their philosophy).

In the same time period (2015-2016), one of the big box agencies also pulled the MSC product. I don't know for sure if it was the commission structure as suggested in this thread (which is a logical reason), I can only go by what my long term agent told me at the time. MSC was just too difficult to deal with. Of course, back then they were also getting far more complaints and poor reviews than they are now so that is probably a factor as well. I just checked online, and they still aren't offering MSC cruises on their website so at least two agencies either refuse to sell MSC or don't advertise the MSC product.

Just one girls experience. I'm sure YMMV

• 5 weeks later...

This is an interesting thread for me since we had booked our first MSC cruise to try YC on Seaside. We have booked all of our previous cruises with the large NW Warehouse store and have been very pleased. They do not represent MSC so after booking our cruise direct we looked to transfer the booking. I called several TA's that said they dealt with MSC and the agents either indicated they could not offer any perks or they would be very minimal. I actually was referred to a large outlet style agency by a cruise critic poster.  I contacted an agent there who offered a small (200 dollar) OBC. I figured why not and authorized him to make the transfer. Basically nothing happened for months despite my requests and his assurances he was taking care of things. He claimed MSC was not responsive but based on his lack of results I am thinking he was likely the non responsive party. After being promised follow up several times with none ensuing, I basically told him to forget it and that I preferred keeping my booking with the agency. He did not even acknowledge my e mail regarding this.

Anyway disappointed that I couldn't find a reputable agent to handle this booking but excited to try YC and think the value proposition for YC is remarkable.

Happy cruising.

We too have used TA's in the past but we have always found that doing upgrades or making changes can be problematic as using the TA has to call the crusie line anyway to do any changes.

In the case of NCL sometimes you don't get the "upgrade" offers if you use a TA.

We booked out next 2 cruises directly with MSC and although we have had our share of "issues" and delays in getting answers, it seems once you find that one MSC direct staff person that can help you out, you never let go of that contact information.

Based on my experience with booking a cruise on MSC using both their wonky website and HOURS and HOURS of phone calls to their customer service department, I can fully understand why a TA would not want to deal with them.

MSC must lose out on a significant number of bookings because of their problematic website and discounts or bookings "falling off" the reservation.

I'm dealing with one out of my two reservations not showing up on the website now.

Our first MSC cruise this January had better go with few issues or we will cancel reservation #2.

33 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Based on my experience with booking a cruise on MSC using both their wonky website and HOURS and HOURS of phone calls to their customer service department, I can fully understand why a TA would not want to deal with them.

MSC must lose out on a significant number of bookings because of their problematic website and discounts or bookings "falling off" the reservation.

I'm dealing with one out of my two reservations not showing up on the website now.

Our first MSC cruise this January had better go with few issues or we will cancel reservation #2.

I was planning on booking my first cruise direcly from them.  What kind of issus can I expect?  we`ll probably just have a standard balcony and drink packages, and 5% Voyager Club discount.  What whould I be aware of can happen?   Is it the norm that something goes wrong?

I think we all have different experiences. I rarely use a TA because it is simpler to book direct considering we don't book more expensive cabins. 

Here is my experience: Found a great Caribbean cruise and attempted to book it online. Website was working okay, but I had a question, so decided to book it through MSC on the phone. Agent (pretty rude and incompetent) said the cruise was fully booked except for one very expensive cabin. We saw MANY cabins available the day before and panicked because we booked out airline just an hour before.

So, I went to the site, easily booked online and then called another agent who confirmed our booking and told me that we qualified for the %5 plus 15% discount for our Black Card Status (got that because we are platinum NCL.)  She said the approval for the discount had to come from Italy...  so we waited.

Fast forward about six weeks of calling, checking, waiting, promises, etc. The discount might show up one day and would "fall off" the next- that is the MSC term for their unique problem. It was finally resolved to my satisfaction three days before the final payment. Whew! 

Now: that reservation is now not showing on my MSC account. I want to check out ship excursions, but can't. I know about the drop down box of sailings and only one out of my two is showing. 

So, I'm keeping my hopes up that things are resolved and that the cruise will be so wonderful that I'll not remember all of these booking and website glitches and incompetencies. 

Others will report they  had no problems at all. That has not been my experience.