New to Cunard...a Few "Foodie" Questions

DocRock143

I have been a Princess cruiser for a long time....ready to take a transatlantic (London -> New York) on Cunard.

A few questions for you Cunard travelers.

1. Is there a different dining/food level/quality between all the Grill levels and let's say a traditional balcony cabin?

2. Are there different menus between Grill/Brittania levels?

Thanks a lot. I'm looking forward to this journey.

Yes, there are different menus for the Britannia, Britannia Club, Princess Grill and Queen's Grill. They generally go from very good in Britannia, to better and better as you go up. There is more variety in the Club and Princess menus and in QG the ability, even the encouragement, to order off menu. With time and supplies, they can do almost anything the diner wants.

Yes, there are different menus for the Britannia, Britannia Club, Princess Grill and Queen's Grill. They generally go from very good in Britannia, to better and better as you go up. There is more variety in the Club and Princess menus and in QG the ability, even the encouragement, to order off menu. With time and supplies, they can do almost anything the diner wants.

Menus in the Queen’s Grill has several pages. If you don’t see anything that strikes your fancy, just ask for what you want. If they have the ingredients they’ll make it for you.

We explained what is in a German Chocolate Cake and they did a good job of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Menus in the Queen’s Grill has several pages. If you don’t see anything that strikes your fancy, just ask for what you want. If they have the ingredients they’ll make it for you.

We explained what is in a German Chocolate Cake and they did a good job of it.

Dont know when you last went in QG but we were on QE last October in QG and there was certainly not pages of the menu there was one page of the table d hote which changed every night and the other page was a la carte some you could have without ordering in advance and others you had to order by lunchtime. We were also throughout the whole cruise never asked if we wanted anything specially prepared or off the menu.

Dont know when you last went in QG but we were on QE last October in QG and there was certainly not pages of the menu there was one page of the table d hote which changed every night and the other page was a la carte some you could have without ordering in advance and others you had to order by lunchtime. We were also throughout the whole cruise never asked if we wanted anything specially prepared or off the menu.

Last time was when QM2 was new. I guess maybe budget cuts?

First page was dinner, second was always available (they didn’t call it that), third was suggestions.

Lunch and dinner weren’t on the same page.

Did having your table reserved for only your use at all meals also change?

Going back to compare the four dining options, both Britannia and Britannia Club share the same (spectacular) dining room and galley. The BC area is in the rear, closest to the galley and separated from the MDR with a wood and etched glass partition. The primary difference is that the BC is single seating at "your" table for all meals. There is an additional menu for BC listing always available items. These are also available upon request from your server in Britannia. (Shrimp Cocktail, Caesar Salad, Steak, Chicken Breast, Portobello Mushroom). You also can have tableside flambes in Club, I think. (My info comes from reports I've read - we've personally not found the perks worth the price).

As others have mentioned, the Grills take it a step further by adding a few additional options to the daily menu and providing multiple on request and by advance request options. Queen's Grill being the most eager to meet the guests' wishes, They also have their own galley - which prepares for (my estimate) 250 versus 2500.

As for MDR dining, my most recent experience on Princess was one of the older ships, the Star Princess in 2015 (and a handful of times over the previous 25 years). Bottom line is the Main Dining Room(s) experience, as premium large ships, are more alike than different in quality and service. Cunard likes to appeal to the luxury segment, and the Grills certainly are - but it's not that different in the MDR, although Cunard tends to have a higher budget. Quality-wise, I find Cunard shoots a bit higher and often meets it, but other times misses the mark. I've always considered Princess, the ultimate California Beige line. Consistently acceptable and nothing offensive. In the MDR, Princess consistently provided a nice selection of food without much flavor. All large kitchens catering to large groups can fall into that trap. From time-to-time, we found that true on Cunard. Happily, last month, the food was flavorful. (I had issues with cutbacks, but it tasted good). Of course all of this is, literally, a matter of personal taste.

Edited by MarkBearSF

My last cruise on Princess was earlier this year on ROYAL PRINCESS. I thought the overall quality of cuisine and selection was superior to Cunard, at least when comparing with Britannia. This wasn't always the case, but it certainly was this last go around. One thing I miss with Cunard in Britannia are the "always available" selections on the menu like Princess, Celebrity, and most other lines offer. Staples like chicken, steak, etc in case nothing else on the menu appeals to you. Some of these items are actually available in Britannia on Cunard, but they don't advertise it and don't print it. They are offered in the Grills and Britannia Club (printed on the menu), and I suppose they have to make it look like they are giving them something extra. Anyway you won't starve on Cunard regardless of where you dine. I would not call the cuisine gourmet, but it's pretty decent. Better in the Grills for sure.

Food.. on a ship, or restaurant or anywhere is probably too subjective for "recommendations" or blanket condemnations.

I can certainly say, in my experience with Cunard since 1977, the cuisine is certainly far better than in the "old days". And for me, shipboard dining is just as defined by the details, nuances and little touches. Here, Cunard delights in setting a proper table with fish knives and forks (try finding those on most lines). And being British, having the best breakfasts afloat. Probably the most enjoyable meal is luncheon. Indeed, Cunard is one of the dwindling lines that actually serves a proper luncheon in the dining room every single day. And one that always features British Empire or British "school" favourites especially for deserts like sticky toffee pudding, spotted dick etc. The Executive Chef in Princess Grill on QE is from Goa and we enjoyed some superb curries for lunch, too. Even P&O has apparently stopped doing that as it continues to morph into.. well, something.

It was wonderful spending 17 days on a modern cruise ship without once setting foot in a "lido restaurant" nor imagining wishing to do so.

Agreed on the table settings and offering breakfast and lunch in the MDR. (Although using the long ice tea style spoons for a simple dish of ice cream is awkward.) One of the real-world adjustments that was particularly tough this time was not having my croissant(s), pineapple juice, omelette, streaky bacon, and sauteed potatoes waiting for me the next morning.

Personally, while I always found something to choose on the lunch menu, I was perhaps less enthusiastic about it than others, and enjoyed the delicious Pub Lunch at the Golden Lion on a few occasions, and ate a light lunch at the Carinthia Lounge a couple of days before Afternoon Tea.

- Mark

Our experience exactly in November last year. But considering there was a choice of around 18 entrees in the evening, we did not suffer! I did have an excellent vegetarian biryani at lunchtime, and asked the waiter if I could have it again, he asked the head waiter, who asked the maître'd who then asked the chef, and my request was granted. In the end it was good, but not as good as the first one!

We had the same experience as you in November last year on the QE. I remember that almost half of the a la carte dishes had to be ordered by lunchtime and tough luck if you hadn't done so! Once I asked for caviar as a starter for my evening meal, my waiter said he would have to get permission from his manager, the head waiter then arrived and questioned us querying the fact that we had requested caviar, we said yes, then he said I will see if I can arrange something....We did eventually get a portion of caviar but the hassle we had was unbelieveable and something we had never before experienced in Queens Grill. Hope things have changed for the better by the time we are in QG again in December!

If you're reading this board and in particular, any thread about dining in the Grills, then there's no excuse to not know the ins and outs of ordering.

In QG, some a la carte dishes have to be requested by 2pm which I don't think is unreasonable and for those not as familiar with off menu ordering, I do think the QG staff on QE are not as on the ball as the staff on QV but I must make the comment that I have never had a problem when ordering caviar on either ship and I rarely pre order now. A quiet ''could I have caviar tonight please?'' has never necessitated a chain of command. Our waiter has always said ''of course''.

For QG newcomers, please, just ask if you want anything which isn't on the menu. Sometimes order the night before or ask to see the day's menu at breakfast time if you haven't picked it up already from your corridor fan. Have a look and if nothing grabs you, ask to order off menu. The answer will be yes if the fixings are on the ship but depending on the dish, it might not be that night. Crispy Peking Duck for instance needs a three day warning.

Off menu can be ordered for lunch as well. Again, bear in mind any time frame involved. A salad or a burger or anything equally simple can be ordered at breakfast time. Sushi, I order the day before.

You'll get the drift but most important, remember, if the ingredients are on board, you can have it even if you have to give the recipe and method to the Head Waiter, which I have done in the past!

Enjoy

Edit

My experiences are up to date, as in summer this year.

Edited by Victoria2

I'm copying part of a post you made last November about your QG experience.

''The senior maitre'd did come to our table in the first few days of the cruise asking if everything was fine and he did say if we had any special requests just ask which we never found the need to do''

I still say QE staff aren't as outwardly encouraging as staff on QV, in the ordering off stakes, but I would say your comment constitutes asking if you wanted anything off menu

I'm copying part of a post you made last November about your QG experience.

''The senior maitre'd did come to our table in the first few days of the cruise asking if everything was fine and he did say if we had any special requests just ask which we never found the need to do''

I still say QE staff aren't as outwardly encouraging as staff on QV, in the ordering off stakes, but I would say your comment constitutes asking if you wanted anything off menu

Yes and that was the only time he came to our table during the whole cruise and the waiter never mentioned or asked if there was anything we liked if anything he always tried to second guess what we wanted or assume what we wanted even before we ordered. If we ever wanted coffee with our breakfast we would have struggled because every morning without asking he bought us tea and an orange juice. Dont get me wrong we thought the food was excellent and TBH there was enough choice on the menu to cover 12nts without asking for "off menu" but the service was very disappointing he was always seeming to rush us and was only as good as what we have had in Britannia and we expected better being in the Queens Grill. The Head Waiter when we ordered the whole duck which states carved at your table he couldnt even do that without sending half of it onto the floor.

Yes and that was the only time he came to our table during the whole cruise and the waiter never mentioned or asked if there was anything we liked if anything he always tried to second guess what we wanted or assume what we wanted even before we ordered. If we ever wanted coffee with our breakfast we would have struggled because every morning without asking he bought us tea and an orange juice. Dont get me wrong we thought the food was excellent and TBH there was enough choice on the menu to cover 12nts without asking for "off menu" but the service was very disappointing he was always seeming to rush us and was only as good as what we have had in Britannia and we expected better being in the Queens Grill. The Head Waiter when we ordered the whole duck which states carved at your table he couldnt even do that without sending half of it onto the floor.

I know, some cruises you see the M'd call at your table every night and sometimes rarely, especially, funnily enough if it's a large table which has really gelled. You don't need him!

I'm sure having let you know once you could have any special dish, that was enough. Some might say to be asked many times might seem intrusive. You professed not to have been told but you had and as this is a big feature of the QG dining experience, saying you hadn't is misinformation.

I also know what you mean about having the same items brought to you as standard. Ask for breakfast tea and tomato juice twice and it'll probably be there on the third breakfast. I don't put it down to assumption or second guessing on behalf of the wait staff. I think it's eagerness to please which maybe frustrating for some guests [you seem to have found it so] but rather sweet in my eyes. No problem, just say could I have xx instead and you can only be rushed when dining if you let yourselves be rushed. A quiet, can we wait a bit for the next course, helps the digestion if you think you might be in danger of a quick in and out dinner.

Had Duck a l'orange but never Duck sur le plancher. Must be a new interpretation!

I'd be lying if I said every day in QG [ have well over 200 days in QG] has been up to scratch but the not so good days have been very few in number. I have no idea if last October was a first and only QG cruise for you, or one of many but don't let what seems to have been a mediocre experience for you, put you off.

Once I asked for caviar as a starter for my evening meal, my waiter said he would have to get permission from his manager, the head waiter then arrived and questioned us querying the fact that we had requested caviar, we said yes, then he said I will see if I can arrange something...

That's a shame, I was on QE in December and people were ordering caviar on the night with no fuss at all from the waiters. It was better than the one night it was on the menu: the off-menu version came with plenty of dinky little toast squares while the on-menu version had a rather stingy portion of blinis.

I know, some cruises you see the M'd call at your table every night and sometimes rarely, especially, funnily enough if it's a large table which has really gelled. You don't need him!

I'm sure having let you know once you could have any special dish, that was enough. Some might say to be asked many times might seem intrusive. You professed not to have been told but you had and as this is a big feature of the QG dining experience, saying you hadn't is misinformation.

I also know what you mean about having the same items brought to you as standard. Ask for breakfast tea and tomato juice twice and it'll probably be there on the third breakfast. I don't put it down to assumption or second guessing on behalf of the wait staff. I think it's eagerness to please which maybe frustrating for some guests [you seem to have found it so] but rather sweet in my eyes. No problem, just say could I have xx instead and you can only be rushed when dining if you let yourselves be rushed. A quiet, can we wait a bit for the next course, helps the digestion if you think you might be in danger of a quick in and out dinner.

Had Duck a l'orange but never Duck sur le plancher. Must be a new interpretation!

I'd be lying if I said every day in QG [ have well over 200 days in QG] has been up to scratch but the not so good days have been very few in number. I have no idea if last October was a first and only QG cruise for you, or one of many but don't let what seems to have been a mediocre experience for you, put you off.

It was our first and more than likely only ever QG experience. We tried to find as much info as possible before we sailed but found the experience not as good as expected or believed it would be. Many have said you should have done this or asked this but on first time if you dont know you dont thnk to ask. We never saw our butler except for bringing tea/orange juice/croissants for breakfast we didnt receive our 2 bottles of spirits until the next afternoon and asked when ordering if we could have brandy and was told no. Dont know whether we expected too much but found in general the food was excellent but many other aspects underwhelming. Speaking to many onboard and on forums since and before the cruise the smart idea seems to be better value is PG. If we do decided again in the future I think that is what we will look at as we think butler IMO a waste of money aand difference in the menus not worth the extra money and size of cabins not a big issue for us. We liked the private deck, Queens Lounge and the afternoon tea in PG restaurant.

It was our first and more than likely only ever QG experience. We tried to find as much info as possible before we sailed but found the experience not as good as expected or believed it would be. Many have said you should have done this or asked this but on first time if you dont know you dont thnk to ask. We never saw our butler except for bringing tea/orange juice/croissants for breakfast we didnt receive our 2 bottles of spirits until the next afternoon and asked when ordering if we could have brandy and was told no. Dont know whether we expected too much but found in general the food was excellent but many other aspects underwhelming. Speaking to many onboard and on forums since and before the cruise the smart idea seems to be better value is PG. If we do decided again in the future I think that is what we will look at as we think butler IMO a waste of money aand difference in the menus not worth the extra money and size of cabins not a big issue for us. We liked the private deck, Queens Lounge and the afternoon tea in PG restaurant.

We have been on many cruises with Cunard, but only once in the grill, not impressed. The food in the Britannia Restaurant is not bad at all, we cruised on the Q.V. in August, but on a couple of nights the menu was not to my liking, in fairness, the waiter told the Head Waiter who looked after our table, he arranged for something not on the menu, We have found the Staff in the Dining Room always helpful.😀😀

We have cruised in PG and QG on the QV and QG last November on the QE.

Relevantly to the discussion here, we did notice a difference between the two ships. We were really encouraged to order off menu on the QV, with the Head Waiter in PG coming up with new flambé desserts for us once we had exhausted the usual suspects and Beniamino Acler in QG preparing fabulous tableside pasta and suggesting a number of main courses I’d never tried before for the galley to prepare.

QG on the QE was good. The service and the menu were miles ahead of Britannia, but in truth not with as much wow factor as on QV. Requests for off menu items were accommodated without fail, but with a reserved politeness rather than warmth and enthusiasm. The Maitre D in the QG was also not much of a presence in the restaurant, whereas on QV Beniamino Acler somehow seemed to be watching every detail of what occurred at each table.

So overall, if you are a foodie there is absolutely a good argument to go for the Grills, but the experience can vary. Be confident in your ability to order off menu and they will accommodate without a doubt. We reckon that even an ‘off’ experience in the Grills is still extremely good by most standards.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Britannia dining was excellent on our first QM2 (Sept 9-16, 2018) crossing. When you consider steak, rack of lamb, beef Wellington, pheasant, lobster and venison were on the menus in Britannia, I suppose caviar and escargot are the upgrades in the grills restaurants. We also enjoyed our Britannia table number 73 which was in the double high section of the dining room with a great view of the grand staircases.

I’ve found Princess’ MDR to be far superior to Cunard’s Britannia. With that said, neither compares to the Grills due to the separate kitchen.

But Oceania still has the best food IMO.

Based on my last Princess cruise, earlier this year on ROYAL PRINCESS I would agree with you. I thought Princess had a better selection, and the quality and taste was better than recent Britannia expereinces on Cunard. They even had my beloved Beef Wellington which was fantastic. That is the first time I've felt this way though in many years. Usually I find the food on Cunard superior to Princess, except for periods back in the 80's and 90's when both service and food on Cunard were pretty dismal (even in the Grills).

I totally agree with you about Oceania as well. The very best cuisine I've ever experienced at sea was on Oceania's RIVIERA. It was seriously like a gourmet experience every night. I was extremely impressed. It blew the Grills out of the water, and any other cruise line I've sailed as well. Not sure if I hit just an exceptional sailing or if that was norm, but we were impressed. I do know that Oceania has the highest food budget of pretty much every cruise line, and they really strive to be the cruise line of hard core foodies. I was blown away by the rest of the Oceania experience, but I would certainly return just for the cuisine.

My best dining experience on Cunard was many years ago in Princess Grill on QE2. A wonderful setting and a great table, and it was also like a gourmet experience every night. One or two table-side preparations every single night. It was quite magical. Still not quite to Oceania standards but close. I've never experience that level of cuisine and service on Cunard since, although it's still really really good and I have no complaints.

It’s subjective though isn’t it?

While I agree that Oceania’s buffet restaurants are far superior to any of those on Cunard ships, in my experience, the main restaurants aren't a patch on QG. In my opinion.

We found the meals on Oceania were generally good, though not anywhere as good as Regent, but the rest of the experience left much to be desired - compared to QG.

It’s subjective though isn’t it?

While I agree that Oceania’s buffet restaurants are far superior to any of those on Cunard ships, in my experience, the main restaurants aren't a patch on QG. In my opinion.

We found the meals on Oceania were generally good, though not anywhere as good as Regent, but the rest of the experience left much to be desired - compared to QG.

Food is absolutely subjective. No one will ever agree, and ask 10 people about the same exact meal and get 10 different opinions.

I rarely eat at the buffet so I wasn't even comparing them. I was mainly speaking of my evening dining experience on Oceania which overall was far superior to the Grills on Cunard, with the exception of Princess Grill on QE2 that one year which was pretty exceptional. Not that there is anything wrong with the Grills, they are quite good, but my one experience on Oceania was just superior from a food standpoint. I have not sailed on Regent and really don't have a desire to, but I think the food budget on Oceania is even higher than that of Regent. Of course they are now owned by the same parent company as NCL so I'm not sure what changes might have happened since then? I have sailed on Silversea and although food and service were very good (I would say like the Grills), Oceania still had them beat.