In searching for a cruise

mredandchis

Do any of you have a method for searching for a cruise by island? We were looking for a journey cruise but after school is out. My daughters family wants to go along with us and yes we have lil ankle biters. The kids will ONLY sail on Carnival cause they love camp Ocean. And i love camp Ocean cause they disappear for large chunks of the day. I do love the grandkids but we all enjoy our time. Carnival has one on the Sunshine leaving out of NYC in June. Well it is a 10 day one so close to a journey. I wont do another NYC cruise. So i was thinking hey a B2B. But then all i can search for is a carribean cruise on the web site and i want to find a port that they havent been to yet. She is a gold member close to platinum and has seen a few but is still in the mindset of "HEY a place i havent been" As for me 90 percent of the islands i will go back to. But again my issue is do i really need to go thru all the ships searching for each east coast/ gulf port? Surely one of you got a secret method. Pleeeazzzzze

Go to the website

Click on Explore

Click on Destinations

Pick your destination and on the left you will see a tab for which ships sail there and you will also see a tab for sailings further down on the right.

I am not aware of a way to search by destination and date combined...is anyone else?

I've had better luck using my computer rather than using the website on my phone to look for what I want. When you search for cruises you can filter the results by month/year, departure port, length of cruise, ship and destination. I believe you can pick multiple selections under the filters, too (so if there is a class of ships you are interested in rather than a specific ship you can select all in that class). It can seem like a lot to go through but I think that's part of the fun!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

I know this is probably throwing this off topic so feel free to ignore, but you said you won't do another cruise out of NYC. can I ask why? I'm cruising out of NYC in 2019, and just curious if you had a bad port experience or if there is something I should be aware of.

I know this is probably throwing this off topic so feel free to ignore, but you said you won't do another cruise out of NYC. can I ask why? I'm cruising out of NYC in 2019, and just curious if you had a bad port experience or if there is something I should be aware of.

I am not the OP but I can give you perspective on cruising out of NY because I have done 2 Canada cruises from there. Those work great - like normal cruises with a couple of sea days and a couple of port days. The port runs well and it is a beautiful sailaway. You are sailing with primarily "New Yorkers" so you should simply expect that cultural environment.

The downside is when you are sailing south - especially in the winter - is that you have lots of sea days where it is cold outside, driving everyone inside to the few public decks. Makes for a crowded ship. Even sailing out of Charleston has this issue in the colder months...until you get to Miami (and then it isn't a guarantee to be out of the 60's in January), it's not gonna be warm.

. You are sailing with primarily "New Yorkers" so you should simply expect that cultural environment.

this made me lol.. I TOTALLY understand this. I live here (though I've never sailed out of NYC), I have to deal with these crazy people every.single.day, so 100% understandable. :p

:cool:

we are sailing in August, so hopefully, it will still be warm enough that people will be out and about.

even though I live here, I typically sail out of Miami or Tampa, but this time, we have our 2 kids (young ankle biters ;)) and I did not want to deal with flights.

thanks for the answer.

this made me lol.. I TOTALLY understand this. I live here (though I've never sailed out of NYC), I have to deal with these crazy people every.single.day, so 100% understandable. :p

we are sailing in August, so hopefully, it will still be warm enough that people will be out and about.

even though I live here, I typically sail out of Miami or Tampa, but this time, we have our 2 kids (young ankle biters ;)) and I did not want to deal with flights.

thanks for the answer.

There will be plenty of ankle biters for them to play with. And I get the not flying...we are takig the Pride out of Baltimore because we are taking oldest DS (college) and his GF, plus his younger brother (14) and I don't want all the travel costs of 5 people.

Our boys are both Platinum so I better not hear the youngest say he is bored as he should dang well know how to entertain himself and make friends on a cruise, and the older...well...he has his GF...what more can I say?;p

There will be plenty of ankle biters for them to play with. And I get the not flying...we are takig the Pride out of Baltimore because we are taking oldest DS (college) and his GF, plus his younger brother (14) and I don't want all the travel costs of 5 people.

Our boys are both Platinum so I better not hear the youngest say he is bored as he should dang well know how to entertain himself and make friends on a cruise, and the older...well...he has his GF...what more can I say?;p

haha. wonderful! he'd better stay occupied for sure. mine will be 5 & 2. we are just waiting for my daughter to turn 2 so we can dump them off in Camp Ocean and have a real vacation. we don't have other family to babysit or leave them with, not even a babysitter, so it'll be our first vacation since I was pregnant with our daughter...and MUCH needed, and I don't feel a bit guilty for sending them off to camp ocean whilst I sunburn and dring fruity drinks.

Hi, it was just the traffic getting into the port. This ol country boy had to go all Nascar on them and start offering to trade paint last time i was there. But like all good hubbys and dads, it appears I will be driving thru the Holland Tunnel once again. Seems like that Sunrise cruise is in my future next June. It is right now being discussed at length. It was mentioned that my son in law will be asked later this evening. Did I say asked? lol. But if you are flying in there and using a shuttle just close you eyes and think something pleasant like St Maartin beach.

I am not the OP but I can give you perspective on cruising out of NY because I have done 2 Canada cruises from there. Those work great - like normal cruises with a couple of sea days and a couple of port days. The port runs well and it is a beautiful sailaway. You are sailing with primarily "New Yorkers" so you should simply expect that cultural environment.

The downside is when you are sailing south - especially in the winter - is that you have lots of sea days where it is cold outside, driving everyone inside to the few public decks. Makes for a crowded ship. Even sailing out of Charleston has this issue in the colder months...until you get to Miami (and then it isn't a guarantee to be out of the 60's in January), it's not gonna be warm.

Amen and amen. But New Yorkers arent bad when you get them on a boat, its behind the wheel that it gets dicey. It is a long ride to the carribean.

Thanks yall. I got a lot of really good info from each of you. And yes i liked the answers. But it seems like Sunrise is one of the cruises for next year out of (like they say in the commercial) NEW YORK CITY. But that is with my daughters family. I love her and the kids and all. BUT the wifey and I will now look for one alone outta the good ol south. And i dont care where it goes. As long as there is sea air, a great crew, friendly cruisers, and carnival chocolate melting cake with ice cream.

If I want to sail Carnival and not fly, I'm limited to NY and Baltimore, both within 1-3 hrs driving, since I'm in NJ.

I loved when Splendor sailed from NY in winter and went 5x in 2014, all different itineraries. My preference is cruising in the winter months so I was very disappointed that there are no ships sailing from NYC during those times.

Recently I sailed Pride from Baltimore, 4X since Feb, all different itineraries (slightly varied, but not much).

It really doesn't matter where I go, so in searching, I just look for the best deals from the closest ports to me.

I grew up in NY and transplanted to the Jersey Shore, so I do like to cruise with New Yorkers and it's amazing how many I met again on other cruises on Splendor and Sunshine:):) from NY!

Hi, it was just the traffic getting into the port. This ol country boy had to go all Nascar on them and start offering to trade paint last time i was there. But like all good hubbys and dads, it appears I will be driving thru the Holland Tunnel once again. Seems like that Sunrise cruise is in my future next June. It is right now being discussed at length. It was mentioned that my son in law will be asked later this evening. Did I say asked? lol. But if you are flying in there and using a shuttle just close you eyes and think something pleasant like St Maartin beach.

I live in NYC, but I'm a country girl myself, born & raised in Alabama ...ROLL TIDE!

yeah, if I didn't live here, unless the itinerary was just unbelievable, I don't think I would fly in just to cruise out of here (unless I spent several days being a tourist here). it seem like a hassle. We'll be cabbing to the port though, I live about 10 miles straight up the road from the port, so should be an easy pick up/ drop off for us.

thanks for the answer.

Yep and in Galveston you sail with primarily Texans, Charleston you sail primarily with Southerners, and in Long Beach, primarily Californians, so what?

New Yorkers are probably the most diverse group of people you can sail with from an American port. Our commonality is that we talk loud and fast.

Yep and in Galveston you sail with primarilyTexans, Charleston you sail primarily with Southerners, and in Long Beach,primarily Californians, so what?

New Yorkers are probably the most diverse group of people you can sail with froman American port. Our commonality is that we talk loud and fast.

definitely don't want to pick a fight over a non-issue, but there is adifference between a bunch of southerners in bulk verses a bunch of northerners in bulk. there just is... not saying it's good or bad, but there is a cultural difference for sure. I can say that life in Alabama is100% different than in NYC. people are different and act in certain waysthat may or not be acceptable in the opposite culture.

New Yorkers have more hubris, Southerners tend to be more subversive. I know it's a sweeping generalization and there are always, always, always exceptions,but New Yorkers can be very rude and open in that rudeness, while Southerners can be very rude, but they are really sweet when they are being rude. :p

Do any of you have a method for searching for a cruise by island? We were looking for a journey cruise but after school is out. My daughters family wants to go along with us and yes we have lil ankle biters. The kids will ONLY sail on Carnival cause they love camp Ocean. And i love camp Ocean cause they disappear for large chunks of the day. I do love the grandkids but we all enjoy our time. Carnival has one on the Sunshine leaving out of NYC in June. Well it is a 10 day one so close to a journey. I wont do another NYC cruise. So i was thinking hey a B2B. But then all i can search for is a carribean cruise on the web site and i want to find a port that they havent been to yet. She is a gold member close to platinum and has seen a few but is still in the mindset of "HEY a place i havent been" As for me 90 percent of the islands i will go back to. But again my issue is do i really need to go thru all the ships searching for each east coast/ gulf port? Surely one of you got a secret method. Pleeeazzzzze

I use another website other than Carnival to research cruise vacations to go on. See what I did there? There is an option to include ports to visit. Once I find something I like, I go to Carnival's site and check availability and pricing.

Most islands Tourism and Visitors Bureaus will tell you what cruise lines visit.

I did just notice there is a "sail to' option on carnivals website where you can possibly drill down into the destination you are looking for. I haven't used it since I usually look by sail date/ warm weather and the departure port.