Beach Umbrella

Da27

grand turk has loungers that are free. i forget which color to look for. ask on the grand turk forum maybe.

I would not bring it for one island (Half Moon Cay). Tendering there is also very crowded so it would be a pain. Since it could just be needed for one stop i would probably just pay for a rental. Or wait it may not even be sunny that day.

"

Tendering there is also very crowded so it would be a pain"

A huge golf umbrella is no bigger than a cane, but how do you keep it up without holding it. Surely you could not bring a large beach umbrella with a stand.

I will be traveling with a toddler and was wondering if it would be a good idea to bring my own beach umbrella to grand turk and hmc just to ensure that we have shade.

There are lots of trees for free shade on HMC.

But, if you want to bring your own umbrella, go for it.

There are lots of trees for free shade on HMC.

But, if you want to bring your own umbrella, go for it.

It's my understanding that for Grand Turk on the beach by the pier :

blue chairs/green umbrellas are free to guests ,,,, there are other chairs with umbrellas but they are charged $$ for.

sorry that came out so HUGE ... it didn't look like it had changed when I typed and entered

Edited by summersigh
size

Here's my .02 cents that won't be worth much...

This past August my son and I went to the beach down on the Gulf. We went to W-mart and picked up an umbrella. It was so windy, that we could barely keep the umbrella anchored in the sand and had to chase it more than once. My poor mom had to sit and keep her hand close by so that she could sit in the small amount of shade. It was only like $10 and it was easy to carry. Would I bother again?, probably not. More Hassel than what it was worth, and mom still ended up getting sun burned. Rent one or find a tree. Better yet, make sure your son has something like this https://www.amazon.com/Piece-Swimsuits-Sleeve-Sunsuit-Swimwear/dp/B07CCZTNC6/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1538712360&sr=8-3-spons&keywords=rash+guard+boys&psc=1

(found on Amazon). At the trip to the beach I bought a ladies long sleeved rash guard (Costco) and floated in the ocean for the better part of the day and got no sunburn. Here is a ladies one on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Attraco-Womens-rashguard-athletic-Aqua-Navy/dp/B01N3615NA/ref=sr_1_7?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1538712968&sr=1-7&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=rash+guard+women

Also mineral based sunscreen such as Blue Lizzard (sensitive or baby varieties)

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Lizard-Australian-Sunscreen-Protection/dp/B0725W7V9W/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1538712866&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=blue+lizard+sunscreen&psc=1&smid=A19NVE4G6SOT2C

or Think Baby Sport.

https://www.amazon.com/Thinksport-Safe-Sunscreen-Cream-Ounce/dp/B00JZHCJLM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1538712820&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=thinkbaby%2Bsafe%2Bsunscreen&th=1 Got mine on Ebaby for less than Amazon, fyi.

Reef Safe.

Grand Turk—Plenty of free loungers and umbrellas.

HMC—Plenty of shade trees to set loungers under. The shade trees are not near the kiddie area (which was a good thing for us), but it might not be for you.

From experience, don't bother taking a pop up tent. The security with Carnival threatened to throw ours away because they considered it a 'Household appliance". They let the poles and stakes grow through security with no problems whatsoever but the actual tent was "a banned appliance". It was brand new and had never been used. Fortunately we were able to take it to a local hotel that held it for us for the week. NOT happy and neither was the toddler or his grandmother that doesn't like to be in the sun.

Umbrellas on the beach are $10 to rent from Jack's and the other local beach clubs and probably bigger than any thing you can carry in a shoulder sling. Only the OP can decide if it's worth it to haul an umbrella on and off the ship.

I would just rent.

I wouldn't bother bringing the umbrella onboard. Why haul more stuff than is truly necessary?? You can rent umbrellas if you really need one. With luggage for a family, carry ons and the umbrella stroller we took for our then 3 yr old, I can't imagine adding a beach umbrella to that!

Our youngest was 3 on our first cruise as a family - we just used sunscreen and went about the business of having fun! He wasn't going to sit in the shade or under an umbrella anyway. He was more interested in being in the pool or the ocean than being in the sand. :)

I will be traveling with a toddler and was wondering if it would be a good idea to bring my own beach umbrella to grand turk and hmc just to ensure that we have shade.
Yes, it's your cruise so do what you feel is best for your family. I have seen many families bring these ashore many times! But can not use them onboard at pool.