Fall Coatal Cruise Review with Pictures.

clarkg

The review itself will be here on Cruise Critic

There is also a blog that goes with it... http://clarkanddeb.blogspot.com/2018/10/fall-coastal-cruise-2018.html

P1050157.JPG

The wife and I took the Nieuw Amsterdam down the coast from Vancouver to San Diego.

Leaving out of Vancouver can sometimes be a challenge. One cruise it took us four hours just to get to up to security. The line stretched out of Canada Place, across the front of the hotel, down along the sidewalk and halfway down the ship that was parked there. This time it was a breeze. It took less than an hour to get from the parking lot and on to the ship.

P1050165.JPG

It was just the wife and I this time. Our friends were to busy to come with us, and after having to cancel two cruises this year, I wasn't about to cancel this one.

P1050166.JPG

I do like the decor of Canada Place. A weird thing happened. A lot of people came down to watch the ship leave. Groups of them were staring at this ship, and us. A little girl was waving at us, Deb waved back, the little girl giggled, then a minute later she was waving again.

P1050167.JPG

Canada Place is beautiful. I remember one time we got off one ship, walked across and got on another. Actually we've done that twice now as I recall. There is a lot of one day cruises you can take from Seattle to Vancouver, then get on longer cruise going South.

Our room was in the perfect location. Right by the elevator but far enough away to not hear the noise of the stairwell. We booked a guaranteed balcony, so we weren't able to pick out our own room. The only thing that would have made it better would have been on the port side of the ship so I could watch the California Coast. This cruise it didn't matter, the coast was fogged in.

Our room steward, Victor, is amazing. All smiles and very helpful. We met him right away.

P1050168.JPG

Top of Canada Place

For sail away we were all over the ship. The wife was getting a little exasperated with me. "What, we're moving again." I wanted the best view and when the ship changes direction, the view changes.

P1050179.JPG

Going under Lion's Gate Bridge

We are looking forward to reading your review, thanks!

We have been out of Canada Place four times and have never had a problem. Sorry to hear you had a long line! :rolleyes:

After lots of hit or miss cruises out of Canada Place, we figured out the trick. We go on the ports web site and figure out how many ships are in port. If there are three or more, we book a different day.

P1050191.JPG

The Ship:

The ship was clean and the bed comfortable. I've been on some bad beds on cruise ships, but this one was excellent. The storage in the room was enough, but we were only on there 4 days. Others were going on a 21 day through the Panama Canal. It would have been tight had we packed for that.

Holland gives you movies and things other cruise lines make you pay for. That was a plus.

The Entertainment:

We had the music row on this ship. Deck two had all sorts of music venues from classical, to blues to oldies, and they pulled it off great. Evening entertainment was awesome. The morning had computer classes and cooking classes. I've been to most of the computer classes on other ships. I did get to some cooking classes, but other than those, there wasn't much going on.

P1050192.JPG

P1050197.JPG

Just read your review. Sounds like you had a great time. But just FYI, the Neptune Lounge isn’t for long time cruisers. It’s for Neptune Suite and Pinnacle Suite customers. It’s more than food and alcohol, although the alcohol isn’t free. There are concierges in there who will arrange anything you’d like as well as solve any issues you may have without standing in line . They have little parties in there too . It’s a nice perk

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just read your review. Sounds like you had a great time. But just FYI, the Neptune Lounge isn’t for long time cruisers. It’s for Neptune Suite and Pinnacle Suite customers. It’s more than food and alcohol, although the alcohol isn’t free. There are concierges in there who will arrange anything you’d like as well as solve any issues you may have without standing in line . They have little parties in there too . It’s a nice perk

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you so much for clearing that up. I thought it was like the diamond club on RCCL.

The Food:

I have to start by saying I'm not a foodie. I'm easy to please, normally, but the food on this ship, well, the food on the ship was simply amazing! The waiter kept picking up my completely empty plate and saying, "I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner." I loved everything I was served. I stole some tater tot looking things off the wife's plate, those were the worst things I tasted on the ship. But even they weren't bad and I ate them. I even tried foie gras. That was even good.

P1050194.JPG

My Favorite Meal

P1050193.JPG

We lucked out and got a table by the window. Met some really nice people from Ottawa. We hit it off so well we ate dinner together the rest of the cruise.