Back from the Dark Ages! Live Review of the Allure OTS

15 hours ago, Capt Snoopy said:

Last night the headliner show was the least favorite show so far but was still entertaining. The performer, Earl Turner is a great singer and entertainer that plays classic songs from different genres. 

Thanks for the review so far, obviously I'm catching up after a couple of days. I've done Allure twice on the Eastern itinerary and loved it. Thanks for refreshing my memory. Earl Tuner was our entertainer back in May of 2013, he must like the ship and Royal likes him. Quite a bit of Motown and 70's type music, I could see where it might not be the favorite of someone your age. Thanks again, back to reading, I'll probably have a few more comments 😀

18 minutes ago, Capt Snoopy said:

Wow! That 747 looks amazing. I’m very jealous of you, you experienced history! I think I’ve heard eyes disqualifying a lot of people, sorry to hear. 

I fly Blackhawk helicopters full time and then on the side I fly Cirrus SR22s and next month starting to fly Citation jets. 

This is supposed to work well in this new forum, this is the gopro video of that day.  Its 3 minutes long, if you view it on a big screen TV you can see the plane about 2 minutes in. Sorry for the shirtless old guy at the beginning.

@BillOh

Oddly enough I knew a lot of the songs because my parents always played the Oldies on the radio my whole childhood, so it did bring back fond memories and somehow I still knew the words! He is definitely a great performer, he had everyone out of their seats and singing. 

Also that was a great video! The 747 looks HUGE in your video! That must’ve been a blast 🙌🏻 Thanks for sharing that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Capt Snoopy said:

Yes! It is one of my favorites. The steak is good enough for me to book another cruise for!

Glad to hear that, I've eaten at Chops on Freedom, Navigator, Allure, Oasis, Adventure,Jewel and Enchantment and each time on the Oasis class it was less than great. 

3 hours ago, Capt Snoopy said:

I fly Blackhawk helicopters full time and then on the side I fly Cirrus SR22s and next month starting to fly Citation jets. 

Oh cool. My nephew starts WOCS and then flight school at Ft Rucker next June. He wants to fly Blackhawks too.

So, at the port in San Juan, are there shops around the port to get souvenirs like most places? In a couple of weeks we thought we would just get off the ship and buy a couple of things and then head back to the pool or solarium.

3 hours ago, Capt Snoopy said:

Yes! It is one of my favorites. The steak is good enough for me to book another cruise for!

So the last 3 times I have been to Chops I have asked where the steaks are from.  Being a Nebraska girl, I know a good steak and suspected they were from Nebraska.  Each time I was told by the chef that they are ordered from Omaha Steaks.  I suggest you order some shipped to your home when you get back from the cruise.  Omaha Steaks has a great grilling app for your phone too that will time the perfect medium rare steak.  My daughter is in culinary school and they even use that app for timing in their kitchens!

2 hours ago, Espn said:

Oh cool. My nephew starts WOCS and then flight school at Ft Rucker next June. He wants to fly Blackhawks too.

So, at the port in San Juan, are there shops around the port to get souvenirs like most places? In a couple of weeks we thought we would just get off the ship and buy a couple of things and then head back to the pool or solarium.

I am at Ft. Rucker! SMALL WORLD!

2 hours ago, Espn said:

Good luck to your nephew! It’s a very hard but rewarding path. I’m sure he is going to love flying Blackhawks! 

In San Juan they have a LOT of shopping. Probably 6 streets deep and 20 streets wide of shops and places to eat. It all seemed relatively safe. We had 1 beggar get a little too bold for my liking but nothing that couldn’t be handled. 

Youll be able to find so many trinkets and t-shirts, even jewelry and watches!

8 hours ago, Capt Snoopy said:

@Grommet no problem, I can go down to Adventure Ocean in a couple of hours. In Labadee today so it’s either run errands or get sunburnt, I rather run errands 😂

The food pictures are with my iPhone 8+ but all the other pictures of better quality are with my GoPro Hero 6! Thank you btw, I’ve really been in awe of how gorgeous this ship is.

Oh man we bought the GoPro Hero 6 over the summer but decided to return it because it didn't seem to be user-friendly; I thought it was too difficult to handle for a woman - I could barely get the battery compartment to open so thought maybe it wasn't the right choice for us 😞 

I am sailing Allure in January and am curious to know what specialty restaurants are open for lunch?  I am considering the Ultimate Dinning package or the 3 or 4 night package but it seems like the Ultimate is well worth it if Lunch is included on the 3 sea days.   We just got back from a short cruise on the Brilliance and we ate at Chops and Giovanni's and they were far superior to the 2 meals we had in the main dining room.    Also curious to know what places you went for dinner and which places you doubled up on.    I figure if we do the Ultimate we would eat at 150 twice, Chops, Giovanni's, Izumi, and the mexican place and than have 1 other repeat as the Brazilian place doesn't seem to do much for me.  

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.  Your review has been great so far.  

@mumluv2cruz so every drink is priced at $13 or under (drink package cap). The only ones that go above that is the cucumber basil martini from 150 CP ($2 out of pocket) and then all the expensive scotches and whiskeys. Every bar has a different menu but if there’s a bar you had in mind, I’ll go get the menu for you 🙌🏻

Honestly if you would like to post any of the bar menu's would be lovely.  My husband does like the scotch's, hopefully he will find some good ones with the package.  I really like a Sidecar, so hoping I find a bartender good at making them.  I had seen some on older menu's, hoping they are still on them.  Then I really like Margaritas too.  

@bogs1009 for lunch on sea days Giovannis, Izumi, Chops, Johnny Rockets, and Sabor are open. Also Johnny Rockets told me that you can eat there once a day so on port days I’ll eat there midday under the dining package. I would really really suggest the Dining Package, I have really enjoyed it. I have ate at 150 Central Park twice for dinner (one more time tonight), Giovannis once for dinner (one more time tomorrow night) and twice for lunch, Chops last night for dinner and will eat there for lunch tomorrow, I ate at Sabor one night and one time for lunch (on port days Sabor isn’t covered under dining package). I haven’t been to Samba, Brazilian steakhouse doesn’t sound appealing to me. 

I think you’re on a great path with your proposed choices. I’d 100% suggest 150 CP twice (ask for Izzine, he has been my server and is amazing!), Giovannis is worth lunch and dinner (the osso buco at night is to die for!), Chops is amazing as well and great for lunch too! Sabor was ok, if there is another option, I’d choose it. I hope this helps some!

2 minutes ago, Capt Snoopy said:

@bogs1009 for lunch on sea days Giovannis, Izumi, Chops, Johnny Rockets, and Sabor are open. Also Johnny Rockets told me that you can eat there once a day so on port days I’ll eat there midday under the dining package. I would really really suggest the Dining Package, I have really enjoyed it. I have ate at 150 Central Park twice for dinner (one more time tonight), Giovannis once for dinner (one more time tomorrow night) and twice for lunch, Chops last night for dinner and will eat there for lunch tomorrow, I ate at Sabor one night and one time for lunch (on port days Sabor isn’t covered under dining package). I haven’t been to Samba, Brazilian steakhouse doesn’t sound appealing to me. 

I think you’re on a great path with your proposed choices. I’d 100% suggest 150 CP twice (ask for Izzine, he has been my server and is amazing!), Giovannis is worth lunch and dinner (the osso buco at night is to die for!), Chops is amazing as well and great for lunch too! Sabor was ok, if there is another option, I’d choose it. I hope this helps some!

I don't see any dining packages being offered for my sailing in my Cruise Planner, wondering if I missed the boat? No pun intended haha 🙂  Hoping that they will offer some significant discounts or savings if we buy onboard the ship that we won't be able to resist...have you seen any offers?  How much is the package?

22 minutes ago, Grommet said:

I don't see any dining packages being offered for my sailing in my Cruise Planner, wondering if I missed the boat? No pun intended haha 🙂  Hoping that they will offer some significant discounts or savings if we buy onboard the ship that we won't be able to resist...have you seen any offers?  How much is the package?

Noooooo! That’s not good! I found mine on the planner under food. Sorry it’s not there anymore.  I remember the package being sold on board but they aren’t selling it anymore. I will try to find out how much it wouldn’t cost! Maybe calling royal and asking if they can grant you the dining package??