Back from the Dark Ages! Live Review of the Allure OTS

53 minutes ago, Capt Snoopy said:

@mom2tcdx2 I 100% agree. I was very disappointed because I haven’t been able to get to Chops this entire cruise because of that issue. Had I known it was an issue, I would have scheduled everything on the first day! I’m glad you won’t run into the same predicament as me. I would definitely suggest 150 CP more than once. I personally never went to Sabor or the Brazilian steakhouse for dinner because it just didn’t seem as delicious as Giovanni’s, 150 CP, and Izumi. If those didn’t work, we would go to coastal kitchen because Chops has been too booked to get in. 

We will try Samba at least and Giovanni's once.  Sabor we may hit up more for lunch at some point, don't really see myself doing dinner there.  Sushi isn't my thing so Izumi is probably out, but if we could potentially try the Hibachi we may try and add that one.  I figure if we did Chops twice, 150CP hopefully twice, Giovannis, Samba, that still leaves us one other free night to do something.  

@mom2tcdx2 that sounds like a great plan. I don’t want it to be quoted as fact but the server did tell me the $39 hibachi is covered (1 meat) and the $45 hibachi (2 meat) is covered but you have to pay $10 in addition to the dining package. I hope that still stands true when you attempt it 🙌🏻

Last night the headliner show was the least favorite show so far but was still entertaining. The performer, Earl Turner is a great singer and entertainer that plays classic songs from different genres. 

This morning was the same breakfast as usual then onward to San Juan. Ship boarded at 1:30pm so we spent a couple hours walking the shops and around Old San Juan, then headed back because at 1:20pm there was a sailaway party on the helipad for suite guests. Also if anyone is curious, it is $7/person to go into the Fort in Old San Juan. 

16FA9857-FF3E-4819-BB0E-BB20542DAD3A.thumb.jpeg.631e94b48680024ba73233319b38837d.jpeg

For lunch before the sailaway party, we went to the Coastal Kitchen since everything else was closed. Chops was ‘open’ for lunch on the Royal app but in person they were sadly not open. At CK Blake had Marsala with gluten free noodles while I had a medium rare steak with hollandaise...also how does her fork always end up on my plate? 👀

1EB376F4-64A8-48E4-83DD-BCF0D57A60C3.thumb.jpeg.cd720b7b8df8fd9f4e8da46b99e8e22c.jpeg

The sailaway party was a lot of fun and Dexter was a great host. There were champagne and other drinks provided and Dexter introduced the heads of almost all the departments on the ship. Everyone was super friendly and down to earth, it was really nice to hear different perspectives of operations around the ship. My hats off to the great job everyone does to make this cruise a wonderful experience. 

9A22F12E-BCDE-4E03-A8C1-4B57D4A8BFEE.thumb.jpeg.37e8a1bca40e20bb484196d8fea962dd.jpeg

Then we went to Johnny Rockets for a little snack of fries and a sundae, now we are being lazy until Giovannis for dinner tonight. 

4B5849D1-5545-4639-8C46-C9EB2D719856.thumb.jpeg.b79a5c31ca1f531068a3953e354384de.jpeg8A095D51-7C91-419A-97D0-A1F0ECEE4702.thumb.jpeg.2a71dcf781a2645749836141721f5382.jpeg

Well all we can do is ask and the worst they tell us is no.  Right now from the website it says no, so if they do even with the $10 upcharge is better than the website shows.  So hoping that is right.  

Now if I only could have afforded a suite to try the CK LOL.   We just have a boardwalk balcony, hoping I didn't go too wrong with that location for our first cruise on one of these megaships.  But I really wanted something different from the ocean balcony and at the time we got it, it was coming up cheaper than the inside cabins.  

On 10/16/2018 at 11:25 AM, Capt Snoopy said:

Saturday, the day prior to sailing, we stayed about 10 minutes from the ship at Pier 66 Hotel. I felt bad because the Harmony OTS was docked which meant CruiseLifeRick was back from his B2B (loved his review!). 

For our afternoon snack after Blake finally arrived, we ate at the hotel restaurant Pelican Landing. I had ceviche that was incredibly acidic and Blake had a grilled Mahi salad, she said the fish was flaky and moist. 

We ended the day with Uber eats from a Mexican place (El Camino); shrimp tacos, carnitas tacos, and Mexican street corn. 

How was Pier 66 & Pelicans Landing? I’ve read mixed reviews. We are booked for both this coming Saturday. Got a decent deal bidding on Priceline and hoping I won’t regret it. 

Thanks for the trip report and filling my time until we fly out. 

Cindy

18 minutes ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

Well all we can do is ask and the worst they tell us is no.  Right now from the website it says no, so if they do even with the $10 upcharge is better than the website shows.  So hoping that is right.  

Now if I only could have afforded a suite to try the CK LOL.   We just have a boardwalk balcony, hoping I didn't go too wrong with that location for our first cruise on one of these megaships.  But I really wanted something different from the ocean balcony and at the time we got it, it was coming up cheaper than the inside cabins.  

We were in a boardwalk balcony on Oasis last year and absolutely loved it!  Noise was never an issue and we were on deck 11.  We don't think we can ever afford a suite:)  We are booked on Allure for February in a similar cabin to our Oasis one.  Just 2 down from that cabin.  We loved that it was cheaper than the inside cabins too.  If you want to see pictures, check out my Oasis review.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ace1zoe2 said:

How was Pier 66 & Pelicans Landing? I’ve read mixed reviews. We are booked for both this coming Saturday. Got a decent deal bidding on Priceline and hoping I won’t regret it. 

Thanks for the trip report and filling my time until we fly out. 

Cindy

So Pier 66 was very pretty on the outside, the pool and grass was very pretty. The room I was in reminded me of a holiday inn. Also the breakfast buffet was $26 per person and consisted of scrambled eggs, bacon, French toast, and some fruit with cereal and milk. But again, thebpool was very pretty!

Pelicans Landing is decent food but I would say it’s a little over priced. The ceviche was $13 and it tasted very very acidic. But I’m sure they do have better food there!

No worries! I read so many reviews leading up to this cruise, it felt like mini vacations.

5 hours ago, molly361 said:

Thanks for the review. We board Sunday. First time in a suite

No worries! You’re getting on board with an amazing crew. Dexter and Nancy meet every expectation. If there’s any info I can find for you, I don’t mind. Which suite are you in?

5 hours ago, createmem said:

We were in a boardwalk balcony on Oasis last year and absolutely loved it!  Noise was never an issue and we were on deck 11.  We don't think we can ever afford a suite:)  We are booked on Allure for February in a similar cabin to our Oasis one.  Just 2 down from that cabin.  We loved that it was cheaper than the inside cabins too.  If you want to see pictures, check out my Oasis review.

Nice, I really worried after I booked it that I started seeing posts about the amount of noise from there.  We don't spend huge amounts of time in the cabin anyway and I figured by late at night it would be a bit quieter anyway.  We originally had an inside overlooking Central Park, and then switched to the Boardwalk balcony.  Honestly I can't imagine us not having a good time and enjoying ourselves.  The suites of course are only in my dreams, they are just way outside of what I can afford.  I would prefer to cruise three times a year than just once LOl.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the great review so far...we're "vacationing" vicariously through you!  We'll be on the Allure in 30 days...can't wait!!  I have to ask...what type of camera are you using for your pictures...they are beautiful! 😉  Looks like you got really lucky with great weather as well!

If you get a chance, can you please post the teen program?  We're wondering if it varies from week to week...thanks! 

@Grommet no problem, I can go down to Adventure Ocean in a couple of hours. In Labadee today so it’s either run errands or get sunburnt, I rather run errands 😂

The food pictures are with my iPhone 8+ but all the other pictures of better quality are with my GoPro Hero 6! Thank you btw, I’ve really been in awe of how gorgeous this ship is.

Edited by Capt Snoopy

So I know I said I was going to Giovannis but our Johnny Rockets fries and sundae at 3pm didn’t really leave any room for dinner at 6pm. I called and switched the dinner reservation from Giovannis at 6 to Chops at 9, since I haven’t been able to get Chops yet. I am so so glad I finally was able to eat there again. Blake and I both had beef carpaccio followed by Blake having tuna tartare and me having the shrimp cocktail. The shrimp are HUGE, they take 2 huge bites per shrimp. A5C1FBF0-660D-4B59-876E-DFDD2CFB0AAE.thumb.jpeg.892f4b906b1f1c10f0fa2af08a673ff6.jpeg

7A5CE989-3A87-4310-BD00-A574F76D503E.thumb.jpeg.a68ecec5694d4088a9d0da42a7fee5d3.jpeg

After the delicious appiteasers, the 9 oz filet mignon (medium rare of course) come and I try all three sauces. The steak just falls apart, it is probably one of the best steaks I have ever had and they don’t overcook it at all. The only better steak I have had is at Hall’s Steakhouse in Charleston, SC. I feel like I could’ve used a butter knife at Chops. The sides we chose were Mac and cheese (simple cheese sauce with noodles, it was pretty dry and blah) and the sautéed mushrooms (these were pretty good, 6.5/10). The meats are definitely where Chops shine, I have never thought the sides were anything to ‘write home about’. Also sorry for the poor quality pic, the lighting is so dark in these restaurants.69C72567-E3F9-42D1-9F53-E27C169E9EE0.thumb.jpeg.7134f63851d89a9df6e8444ec445ed65.jpeg

Dinner ended around 10:15pm and we were tired so we went back to the room and tried to catch up on sleep but here I am, awake at 6:50am. I wish for one day I could sleep til 9am 😂 Also because dinner wasn’t til 9pm last night, I was finally able to get a sunset picture from our port side balcony! I really hope I can sail in this room again. 

5E064D39-DA0D-4A10-B6BA-F14ED4E80FAC.thumb.jpeg.579756348e1fe4f832fdfbc4f845882c.jpeg

@mom2tcdx2 either one, Central Park or boardwalk, you will love! They are both great neighborhoods to look out on. I don’t imagine there will be any noise for you, I walked around the Boardwalk around 10:30pm last night and it was absolutely quiet. It seems once the shops and the carousel close (at 10pm I believe), it’s quiet and peaceful. I really enjoy CP at night because they normally have someone playing soft tunes on a guitar and at night, they play crickets chirping. Very relaxing. 

On 10/16/2018 at 12:25 PM, Capt Snoopy said:

Saturday, the day prior to sailing, we stayed about 10 minutes from the ship at Pier 66 Hotel.

How was it?  We stayed there when it was a Hyatt, I think it closed temporarily after Hurricane Matthew? When it re-opened it was no longer a Hyatt.  We enjoyed out stay there, the only negative was no hotel shuttle to the port and a $20 breakfast buffet. 

@BillOh it was $130/night through Priceline Express Deals. The hotel and pool were beautiful and I enjoyed walking the marina but the room was a let down. I did not think it was 4 star quality that they attempted to advertise it as. The decor was drabby and there was mold around the bath tub. 

On 10/17/2018 at 3:52 PM, Capt Snoopy said:

@Espn thank you! I honestly booked the cruise just for the St Maarten port. My profession is a pilot so today fulfilled all my dreams and goals LOL

The texting has not worked all cruise for me. I keep trying it about once a day. It keeps saying ‘Beta’ and tells me to connect to the ship WiFi to text. I don’t know how to tell it I’m already on the ships WiFi. I hope they can work the kinks out before your cruise!

What do you fly?   I'm just a aviation nut who wasn't allowed to fly due to a lazy eye and poor depth perception. I'm glad to have made it to Maho to see one of the last 747s land there in 2014. 

klm747still.jpg

5 minutes ago, BillOh said:

What do you fly?   I'm just a aviation nut who wasn't allowed to fly due to a lazy eye and poor depth perception. I'm glad to have made it to Maho to see one of the last 747s land there in 2014. 

Wow! That 747 looks amazing. I’m very jealous of you, you experienced history! I think I’ve heard eyes disqualifying a lot of people, sorry to hear. 

I fly Blackhawk helicopters full time and then on the side I fly Cirrus SR22s and next month starting to fly Citation jets.