Can no longer see "Go to first unread post"

When I go to a thread - eg Danube River levels low - which is a number of pages long, I used to see "Go to first unread post" at the beginning of the thread. That is no longer there? So all I can do is click on the >> for the final page, but I may have missed some interesting posts in the previous pages.

Please can "Go to first unread post" be reinstated?

4 hours ago, NurseJEB said:

It is there.  Click the blue bullet to the left of the thread title.

I can see how this advice works on other Roll Call threads, but our particular roll call and all those listed below lack that blue button.

Do I just assume it's a work in progress do you think?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Ruth

The problem is that the go to first unread post button needs to be clicked BEFORE you click on the thread title. The minute you click on the title, you lose the ability to go to the first unready post. The option is in the wrong place. It needs to be available, as it was before, after you click on the title. (I don't mind leaving the current functionality, but it shouldn't be the only one.)

Edited by gnome12
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

The problem is that the go to first unread post button needs to be clicked BEFORE you click on the thread title. The minute you click on the title, you lose the ability to go to the first unready post. 

You're really trying to help a 'dude'. 

I can neither find this option before I click on the ship - Amsterdam; nor can I find it before I open my thread.  I can see the grey page count on other threads so I'm missing something.

But thanks for trying to help.

Ruth

6 hours ago, Been There, Planning That said:

You're really trying to help a 'dude'. 

I can neither find this option before I click on the ship - Amsterdam; nor can I find it before I open my thread.  I can see the grey page count on other threads so I'm missing something.

But thanks for trying to help.

Ruth

I haven't looked for a ship yet; I have only looked at the information boards, and this is what I see. I think it depends what platform you are using, but I'm not sure.

Edited by gnome12

Option 1: In the thread listing, if there are new posts, the title will be bold.  To the left of the title is either a star (if you've posted to that thread) or a circle/dot (if you haven't posted).  Click the star or the circle to jump to the first unread.  If the title is not bold (ie: "normal"), there are no unread posts.

image.png.b8204e1be1d30af30254fd3223666235.png

Option 2: Once you click on the thread, put the following at the END of the address in the address bar: ?do=getNewComment.  So if your address bar shows https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2595588-login-fail/, add the above and you get https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2595588-login-fail/?do=getNewComment.  Hit enter and it should take you to the first unread post. 

16 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Option 1: In the thread listing, if there are new posts, the title will be bold.  To the left of the title is either a star (if you've posted to that thread) or a circle/dot (if you haven't posted).  Click the star or the circle to jump to the first unread.  If the title is not bold (ie: "normal"), there are no unread posts.

image.png.b8204e1be1d30af30254fd3223666235.png

Option 2: Once you click on the thread, put the following at the END of the address in the address bar: ?do=getNewComment.  So if your address bar shows https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2595588-login-fail/, add the above and you get https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2595588-login-fail/?do=getNewComment.  Hit enter and it should take you to the first unread post. 

I shouldn't need to do that for every thread I'm subscribed to (or following). When I click on the bold thread name, it should just go to the first unread post. I have all my subscribed threads saved under a bookmark, and while some of them are in bold, none of them has a blue dot or star.

26 minutes ago, lighthousemom said:

I shouldn't need to do that for every thread I'm subscribed to (or following). When I click on the bold thread name, it should just go to the first unread post. I have all my subscribed threads saved under a bookmark, and while some of them are in bold, none of them has a blue dot or star.

I don't follow/subscribe to many threads, but IIRC, I don't remember the old CC software giving you the ability to jump to the first unread by clicking on the thread title.  Didn't you always have to click the icon?

Try clicking on the Activity tab at the top of the page and then My Activity and select 'Content I follow'.  That should get you a list of what you've followed with the star/circle icons.

The screen shot you posted is where you can manage what you follow (you can change notification for the threads).

24 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I don't follow/subscribe to many threads, but IIRC, I don't remember the old CC software giving you the ability to jump to the first unread by clicking on the thread title.  Didn't you always have to click the icon?

Try clicking on the Activity tab at the top of the page and then My Activity and select 'Content I follow'.  That should get you a list of what you've followed with the star/circle icons.

The screen shot you posted is where you can manage what you follow (you can change notification for the threads).

Thanks, I got all excited that this might work, but it didn't. I clicked on Activity>My Activity Streams>Content I Follow, and here's what I got:     Why does it list certain threads more than once? I tried playing around with the different selections under My Activity Streams and that only messed things up more.1040885052_ScreenShot2018-10-17at3_43_18PM.thumb.png.5165898a16ff791dacb6e4f2c6998f98.png

Under the old implementation, if I clicked first unread, I was always taken to the most recent post, even if I hadn't visited the thread for days, so I'd have to scroll back to where I think I left off.

Clicking the dot works exactly the same way - I get the bottom of the thread, not the one after the last one I read.

Oh well

There is NO blue dot nor is there any "mini window" if I hover over the thread IF IT IS  A ROLL CALL. Yes, this stuff works in the main forums. NO it doesnt't work (or even exist) in any of my roll call forums. I think that CC got some 13 year old "iPhone" kid to code this new stuff. It's freaking horrible.

On 10/17/2018 at 8:46 PM, lighthousemom said:

I clicked on Activity>My Activity Streams>Content I Follow, and here's what I got:     Why does it list certain threads more than once?

Because it's listing every new post to that thread. Just change the first setting to "Content items only". Then you should see each thread listed only once in the Activity Stream, no matter how many posts have been made to it.

6 hours ago, Thrak said:

There is NO blue dot nor is there any "mini window" if I hover over the thread IF IT IS  A ROLL CALL. Yes, this stuff works in the main forums. NO it doesnt't work (or even exist) in any of my roll call forums. I think that CC got some 13 year old "iPhone" kid to code this new stuff. It's freaking horrible.

There are plenty of blue dots in the roll call forums. See these (although I suspect that the first one will be enough to demonstrate this to you):-

1zn8xzq.jpg

25he8og.jpg

2rp7gp2.jpg

I've got plenty of blue dots BUT my thread will only open at the last page and there's no apparent way I can get back to the first pages of the thread.

And interestingly the threads above the one in which I'm interested show the earlier page numbers in a feint colour but none after have this option.  And there's no arrow to return to earlier pages.

Ruth

Edited by Been There, Planning That

14 hours ago, Been There, Planning That said:

I've got plenty of blue dots BUT my thread will only open at the last page and there's no apparent way I can get back to the first pages of the thread.

If you're clicking the blue dot (or star), taking you to the first unread post - which is likely to be on the last page - is the intention of the blue dot. Once you're in the thread, there should be page numbers listed at the top and bottom of each page to allow you to navigate within the thread.

14 hours ago, Been There, Planning That said:

And interestingly the threads above the one in which I'm interested show the earlier page numbers in a feint colour but none after have this option.  And there's no arrow to return to earlier pages.

Taking the Fred Olsen Roll Calls screenshot in the post above: The Boudicca roll call thread has page numbers in a faint colour after the thread title. This is because that thread has more than one page and you can go directly to (for example) page 2 by clicking the "2".

The subsequent threads listed don't have faint page numbers because they're short threads that only have one page.

Is that the same as the behaviour that you are seeing? Or are page numbers missing from threads that are definitely more than one page long. Remember that the page length is now a fixed 40 posts per page.

3 hours ago, Globaliser said:

MEA CULPA

Globaliser, I'm so embarrassed to admit I was fussing for naught.  I'd clicked on the wrong cruise date so there were NO first pages to find.  We board after the one I'd clicked.

I incorrectly blamed the new format for my careless stupidity.  

May I graciously thank you for the time you took to suggest corrections and search options and apologize for taking much of your time to offer such a clear and detailed response?

Dunce cap is secured as I type. 

Ruth

Edited by Been There, Planning That

The problem for me is that I mistakenly hid the title I am screwed finding first unread. Go back and button gone. Used to be on first page of thread there was a go to first unread. I do forums often on iPad and with fat fingers miss the dot. 

Please bring ink this feature back

• Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 11:59 AM, lighthousemom said:

These are some of the threads I'm subscribed to. None of them have that dot or a star. And how do I mark it as a favorite? There is no heart to click on when I visit each thread. 1185035131_ScreenShot2018-10-17at2_56_02PM.thumb.png.de8b5a0f73a26a255ab6956bb9342f5b.png

This post above shows Manage Followed Content, which is the only way I can (sometimes) see my subscribed threads.  There is no blue dot or star on this page. I have to click on last page, scroll back to see what I've missed (which is sometimes more than 1 page back), etc.  You get the idea.  Many clicks now where 1 click before was sufficient.

On 10/21/2018 at 6:56 AM, Globaliser said:

Because it's listing every new post to that thread. Just change the first setting to "Content items only". Then you should see each thread listed only once in the Activity Stream, no matter how many posts have been made to it.

I have to change that first setting every time I go to that page.  IMO, that is unacceptable -- AND it doesn't work for me.  I get random posts from threads I'm not subscribed to.

37 minutes ago, travelgoddess1 said:

This post above shows Manage Followed Content, which is the only way I can (sometimes) see my subscribed threads.  There is no blue dot or star on this page.

Yes, that is one reason why Manage Followed Content isn't a good way of doing what the User CP used to do. If you use custom Activity Streams, you can personalise them - and you will get blue dots (or stars).

38 minutes ago, travelgoddess1 said:

I have to change that first setting every time I go to that page.

If you set up a custom Activity Stream, then whenever you change one of the settings like the first one, you will be offered the chance to save the changes so that the next time you use that Activity Stream it will have the changed settings applied.