Champagne in penthouse suites with prestige package

Misssmb

10 minutes ago, ipoh said:

And perhaps even a wee bit of placebo effect....

well I guess if using the  stopper  is useless I will not bother  opening the bottle  would not want to  dump the remainder it down the drain

I think  they now have reverted back to letting you exchange  the Champs for wine

Hopefully that is OK to re cork :classic_unsure:

Those stoppers are fairly good if you get them on the bottle correctly, but getting them to seal perfectly can be a challenge.

I would guesstimate that with a great seal, the bottle will retain between 50 to 75% of the fizz after 24 hours.

Not a noticeable difference when making a Bucks Fizz or a French 75. 

Edited by StanandJim

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

long  gone are those days   when I could  do that & still stand 😁

Let's just think about this:

a 750 ml bottle is a hair more than four six ounce glasses. For a couple eating a leisurely dinner, that's only 2 glasses each.

Of course, the challenge is to know your limit and keep to a minimum the number of times that you pass out before you reach it.🍷👀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

"There will be zero difference in effervescence.  "

But how will the comparison be between when it's opened and 24 hours later? How much fizz will it lose? 

1 hour ago, ORV said:

"There will be zero difference in effervescence.  "

But how will the comparison be between when it's opened and 24 hours later? How much fizz will it lose? 

Maybe I'm not being clear enough: As long as you keep it cold, there is no reason to put a stopper on opened champagne. There will be just as many bubbles tomorrow from the unstoppered bottle as there was today when you first opened it.

In a quick look for the UC Davis study of years ago (that made that startling announcement), I haven't yet found it. But, for now, how about this from a transcript of Ira Flatow speaking with a wine chemist et al. on NPR:

FLATOW: I have noticed that. It's true. Yeah. That was chemist, Richard Zare and food writer, Howard McGee, talking with us on Christmas Eve, 2004, in how to keep your champagne tasting nice and bubbly. If you don't drink it, the take home message, keep it cool. You don't need to cork it.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

These are all generic statements about some none identified sparkling. Sorry, but it’s not a “one size fits all” world. The primary problem with leaving the bottle open is oxidation not loss of effervescent. Different wines react completely different to different levels of oxidation. Some bubbly, like Blanc de Blanc ( 100% Chardonnay) reacts completely different from Blanc de Noir ( 100% Pinot Noir). Then you have all the blending in between. Then none of that addresses the vastly different dosage levels in Brut, Extra Dry, Demi Sec, etc. Completely different taste outcomes from those levels of oxidation for completely different bubblies. All that before we discuss the nuances of different people’s ability to taste.

you can continue now with your one size fits all discussions!

26 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

These are all generic statements about some none identified sparkling. Sorry, but it’s not a “one size fits all” world. The primary problem with leaving the bottle open is oxidation not loss of effervescent. Different wines react completely different to different levels of oxidation. Some bubbly, like Blanc de Blanc ( 100% Chardonnay) reacts completely different from Blanc de Noir ( 100% Pinot Noir). Then you have all the blending in between. Then none of that addresses the vastly different dosage levels in Brut, Extra Dry, Demi Sec, etc. Completely different taste outcomes from those levels of oxidation for completely different bubblies. All that before we discuss the nuances of different people’s ability to taste.

Yes -there's oxidation issues (not just with sparkling wines) and expertise with those specifics are "above my pay grade."  Nonetheless, the original discussion was solely about effervescence. And, when it comes to bubbles, don't forget the glassware imperfections.

Bottom line solution remains: if you open it, drink it.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Don't look now,  but you're introducing thousand dollar issues into a ten dollar question.

Those freebee bottles don't merit this type of .scrutiny or examination.

• Thanks 1

Yes, if you keep a bottle of sparkling wine cold (note I don't use the word champagne, as that is a term that applies only sparkling wines from the Champagne region of France, and that's not what Oceania provides as its welcome bottle), it reduces the escape of CO2, the source of its effervescence, but it does not stop it.  Over time, the CO2 escapes, and only a stopper (or cork) really prevents the loss of effervescence.  The degree of loss depends on temperature and time and local air pressure, and the degree to which it is noticeable to our palates is a personal observation, so we shouldn't make broad brush or dogmatic pronouncements as to the effect of a stopper or the lack of effervescence.  That along with the oxidation process that impacts all open wines is more complex than simple arguments about the value of stoppers.  So if you're a gulper, don't worry about it, but if you like to spread the experience over a day or more, the most prudent approach is to stopper it.  And the same holds true for Champagne as well as other sparkling wines.

Edited by 1985rz1

25 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Yes, if you keep a bottle of sparkling wine cold (note I don't use the word champagne, as that is a term that applies only sparkling wines from the Champagne region of France, and that's not what Oceania provides as its welcome bottle),

what do they provide  now?

This is what we got  last year

image.png.70b6dd920ce896c85430f7373ee72548.png

Jeeze, that's not what we got in the PH last time. I need to expect more on our upcoming trips :-).  Still, whether it's Champagne or sparkling wine, the chemical physics is still the same.

Edited by 1985rz1

5 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Jeeze, that's not what we got in the PH last time. I need to expect more on our upcoming trips :-).  Still, whether its Champagne or not, the chemical physics is still the same.

we were in Concierge  last  Dec so what did you get in PH ??  when?

Maybe they have changed the type of bottle you get ??

Wish I took a pix, but I didn't, so I don't remember other that I noted it was a sparkling wine and  I enjoyed it (maybe that's why I don't remember it :classic_rolleyes:).  It was in July of this year.

Edited by 1985rz1