Compare Golden Princess to Crown Princess

voljeep

Considering a Golden Princess cruise as part of an Alaska cruisetour next summer

Never been on the Golden, looked at the deck plans...no Crooners? no aft adult pool ? not sure that matters much for Alaska,

but still see Outriggers bar for the aft view - EDIT - ok see the Terrace Pool on Aloha deck now...

Caribe deck deluxe balcony a good choice - if so, what side for north to south cruise?

Is Golden a good choice - Late July 2019 cruise

Edited by voljeep

separate question regarding pre-tour

can you book the Fairbanks Riverside Lodge for a couple of nights and get the same room as when the tour part starts? - good idea or not?  we would basically be just chillin' those days after a long (from florida) flight

I concur with Coral.  

I would not want to go to Alaska without the enclosed pool area that’s one of our few places we can escape to  on sea days.  Also, having just come off the ground, I much prefer the birthday on the golden, due to less crowding.  

Just now, 4cats4me said:

I concur with Coral.  

I would not want to go to Alaska without the enclosed pool area that’s one of our few places we can escape to  on sea days.  Also, having just come off the ground, I much prefer the birthday on the golden, due to less crowding.  

Exactly - even if you don't use the pool itself - it is a great place to sit and read, enjoy sea days, etc...

The midship piano bar on Golden may be called 'Promenade Lounge and Bar' on the deckplans but it is more or less the same as Crooners. Though I do recollect most of the solo or duo musical acts performing in Wheelhouse Bar most nights, which ended up as my usual hangout on Golden in Alaska this past May. If I remember where I filed away the Patters I will double check as to the piano bar style entertainer's schedule at the Promenade Lounge.

I would go with the Crown.   Just off the Golden after 22 days to New Zealand.  We had leaks in our cabin and hallways on Emerald, not as bad a Baja and Caribe.   Usual fans running constantly on Lido forward entrance, constantly wet.  Foul odors aft, Vista Lounge on regular basis.  Promenade deck not as well maintained as other ships.  Grease stains on our clothing from utilizing benches on promenade deck.  We had an obstructed ocean view where the crew wiped the dripping grease from the winches for tenders on an almost daily basis.

Dining room food was uninspiring at best, we switched from traditional dining to horizon court or Crown Grill.

Golden is going to P&O in 2020 and appears to already be cutting back.   Have cancelled our transit from Sydney to US for next year.   

Have sailed Crown many times and will continue to do so.  Our trip on the Golden affirms our position to not sail on a ship that has been sold or transferred.

Do not get me started on the wine situation on the Golden for this voyage as it may have been a one off.

Fishywood, I thought the Promenade Lounge was a Crooners, same vibe.  On the 9/23 sailing this is where the solo entertainers were.   A pianist drew a large gathering every evening he performed.  Nothing remarkable in Wheelhouse until Tempo Quattro, a very talented Serbian quartet embarked in Tahiti.   Their first performance was in the Piazza, it was outstanding.  I have never seen so

many people dancing in the piazza and open space in the 2 areas above as with this group.  It was a one night deal as they were moved to the wheelhouse which severely limited dancing and audience.   Passengers were hoping they would remain in the piazza as the acoustics and the performance was more impressive.   

20 hours ago, kiwimum said:

I would go with the Crown.  

Have sailed Crown many times and will continue to do so.  Our trip on the Golden affirms our position to not sail on a ship that has been sold or transferred.

Do not get me started on the wine situation on the Golden for this voyage as it may have been a one off.

FYI - the ship actually went into dry dock in February/March time frame.  Oddly, I think the dry dock may have caused the water leaks that you and others have reported. The Sapphire Princess was in dry dock around the same time at the same ship yard and came out beautiful. I don't remember any water leak reports before this dry dock.

I do think they have tried to keep this ship up because it is being "transferred within the family".

Edited by Coral

@voljeep

Having done three HAL Alaska cruises, the "side" of your balcony makes little difference. In the Inside Passages, views on both sides -- at sea, equal chance to see a whale or whatever, on either side. If I were looking at it (and I may be!) I would look more at when you expect to use the balcony more. If morning, I would choose port so the morning sun would warm the balcony! and vice versa.