Vancouver

tserney

Can anyone please tell me what time I should book a flight home if our cruise ends in Vancouver? This is my first cruise and I have no idea how much time to allow getting off the ship and getting to the airport. This is a cruise to Alaska. Thank you! 

You need to be at the airport at least 90 minutes (probably 2 hours is better as you will clear customs after security), and bank on an hour to get to the airport in rush hour traffic.  If you're off the ship by 9:00am you should be fine - but you may want to look at something a smidge later just in case.  

Also - consider taking sky train to the airport.  You can catch it right outside the terminal and it takes you straight to the airport without any concerns with traffic.

• Like 1

I would allow 2 hours at the airport, as we have experienced some long queues at the US departure gates, although we usually always get early departures, so it could be different later in the day. Once checked in you take your bags through  US Immigration, dropping them on a conveyor after clearing Immigration. You then have a good walk to the gates.

Weekday traffic is crazy, but weekends are more reasonable. If you don't have too much luggage, the Skytrain is a short walk and goes to the airport in about 40 mins. If you plan to use a cab, check how many other ships are in, as they have some long queues awaiting cabs if multiple ships are docked. If taking a cab, allow about 1 hr to the airport, once you get a cab.

Does the cruise line offer a bus service.

• Like 1

A Global Entry pass will save you a lot of waiting  time at the airport and is well worth the price.  FWIW taxi fare from the Vancouver Cruise Terminal to the airport is around $32 CAD and takes about 30 minutes in weekend traffic.

Enjoy your cruise planning.

On 10/23/2018 at 7:36 PM, Heidi13 said:

Once checked in you take your bags through  US Immigration, dropping them on a conveyor after clearing Immigration. You then have a good walk to the gates.

This has changed for a few years now: IIRC, it's check-in and baggage drop, security and then U.S. clearance.  The customs agent can call up a photo of your bags and get them to be brought up if physical inspection is required.