Jump to content
kasius11

Thinking of retiring 4-6 months a year on ships, want to learn

Recommended Posts

I'm coming up on retirement and I'm thinking that I may like to share 4-6 months a year on ships and am wondering if there are others on this site that are doing that?  I'd love to learn from people how they manage it, vis-a-vis bookings, stay with one line, not another?  Just about anything people are willing to share, I'm open to learn.  Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you taken any long cruises (30 days or longer) before? If not, I would suggest you do that on several different ships to get a sense of the length and ship culture before you decide. 

 

For 4-6 months, it might be more worthwhile to book a world cruise since the perks often include gratuities, medical care, airfare, hotels, transfers, OBC, beverage packages, excursions, unlimited internet, unlimited laundry, visa package, special events, or luggage delivery.  These are a great value for a long cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last time I spent 6 months on a ships, they were paying me for being aboard. So do you have any skills such a lecturer, etc that are marketable to the cruise lines.

 

If as a passenger, as the previous reply, I would look at World Cruises, it is a great feeling to board, unpack and then not undo the process for 4 - 6 month. BTW - some cruise lines do have pax that stay on-board full time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend of our picks an area he wants to spend time, then books b2b2b... cruises in that area.  Last year spent 4 months doing cruises between BA and Santiago as well as the relocation cruise to get there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've considered longer cruises like 3 or 4 months but started to go nuts after only 30 days. It takes a special type of person to do such long trips. Too much of a good thing is definitely no the best idea some times. 

 

What a person can do day after day is beyond me. The food get monotonous, the shows are repetitive, the movies hardly ever change, trivia gets boring& how long can a person sit by the pool and do nothing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mother used to tell me that only boring people get bored. To me the most interesting aspects of a long cruise, is the never-ending variety of people you meet. The passenger list usually turns over every 14 days on a longer cruise. it's fascinating to meet new people. 

 

I don't consider meeting new people, visiting new ports, reading books, exercising in the fitness center and the like to be "doing nothing."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2018 at 9:10 AM, floridalover5623 said:

I've considered longer cruises like 3 or 4 months but started to go nuts after only 30 days. It takes a special type of person to do such long trips. Too much of a good thing is definitely no the best idea some times. 

 

What a person can do day after day is beyond me. The food get monotonous, the shows are repetitive, the movies hardly ever change, trivia gets boring& how long can a person sit by the pool and do nothing? 

 

Are you bored at home? Most people don't lead exciting lives that change every day. For me, life on a ship is constant variety and fun....no matter how long. To each his own.....🤩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

 

Are you bored at home? Most people don't lead exciting lives that change every day. For me, life on a ship is constant variety and fun....no matter how long. To each his own.....🤩

Not at all. I have my everyday chores & hobbies, etc that seem to occupy me, but on a ship you're limited to an extent. Even visiting some of the islands get to be boring especially after going there 20 or 30 times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2018 at 7:48 AM, floridalover5623 said:

Not at all. I have my everyday chores & hobbies, etc that seem to occupy me, but on a ship you're limited to an extent. Even visiting some of the islands get to be boring especially after going there 20 or 30 times. 

 

Then go somewhere new! There's a big world out there.....no need to visit the same place 20-30 times.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

 

Then go somewhere new! There's a big world out there.....no need to visit the same place 20-30 times.

 

 

Of course but the days on the ship can get extremely monotonous. Same shows, same movies, etc and continually eating. 

Even too much of a good thing can get boring that's why we take a break after so many days.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 12/31/2018 at 9:13 AM, floridalover5623 said:

Of course but the days on the ship can get extremely monotonous. Same shows, same movies, etc and continually eating. 

Even too much of a good thing can get boring that's why we take a break after so many days.   

I respectfully disagree...no way I ever get bored and obviously millions of other cruisers don't either. On my upcoming world cruise, there'll be lots to do! My experience is that there's more stuff to do than time to do them....actuaIly, I have to be careful not to do too much and be sure to get enough relaxation time.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

I respectfully disagree...no way I ever get bored and obviously millions of other cruisers don't either. On my upcoming world cruise, there'll be lots to do! My experience is that there's more stuff to do than time to do them....actuaIly, I have to be careful not to do too much and be sure to get enough relaxation time.

What do people actually do day after day when at sea? Sleep? Read? Trivia? Swim?

Maybe I missed something. 🙄

There comes a point when even that can get boring. On our last 30 day trip I checked the patter each morning & could only circle 1 event worth attending. I can't imagine doing a longer cruise. Even the food gets monotonous for most people.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, this is surely subjective.

On the Queen Mary, I did a round trip transatlantic. It was 16 days, with one port and a turn around day in South Hampton. I kept to a routine including walking , going to the gym, hydro pool and reading with maybe one lecture a day. Worked well, esp as I was recovering from a broken hip.

on the other hand I had 7 sea days on a small expedition ship with just over 140 passengers and despite my best efforts was going a bit mad by the end. The food and service was five star but it was a 21 day cruise so at the tail end of a marvelous trip. 

This is a case of your mileage may vary. I think a round the world cruise would hold my attention much better than doing a seven day Caribbean cruise over and over for the same length of time, as there would be a deadly amount of repetition. I think I would need to shoot out the speakers making announcements in my cabin.

On my 21 day cruise, not one menu repeated except for breakfast. Even lunch was themed and switched up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for the continuing dialogue. I'm learning a lot and it's really helpful as I continue to think about this. 

 

I'm a big Cunarder (QM2) guy so I'd probably do a piece of the word cruise, maybe half.  A staff member that I've made friends with over the years on QM2 (just had his first baby, yeah!) whose done the World Cruise many times tells me it's actually not the best (his favorite is the Christmas cruise from NY to Caribbean) except in smaller bites. 

 

So that gave me pause about the whole World Cruise thing, though, having said that, it was really interesting to hear if you buy the whole thing you may get tips (I was wondering about that) and other expenses covered. When doing the cost analysis I'll make sure to factor that in and, wherever possible, bartar! LOL

Anyway, thanks again, I look forward to reading more of everyone's thoughts.

 

I'm a Myers-Briggs expert and have fantasized on actually providing coaching services to guests for room/board or something. "recovery crossings" is sort of the concept and as a professional coach it would be facilitating people's journeys, from what they're hoping to get out of it to hopefully facilitating a great experience, all while learning more about their and their spouses personality and, in some cases, helping folks use the journey as a deeper renewal and resolution of issue thing, eg. a spouse grieving over another needing to envision a new life, etc. (Think of me as the guy who would facilitate the Love Boat results!)

 

Anyway, you get the idea, it's coaching on the seas. I currently do that at nonprofits around the country and it would be truly enjoyable to do it for folks while they're cruising.

Edited by kasius11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Win a Cruise with the Most Highly-Awarded Small Ship Cruise Line in Alaska
      • Q&A with Daniel Skjeldam, CEO Hurtigruten
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×