Medieval Cartagena by Horse & Carriage-accessible for a mobility challenged person?

canadarocks

I posted this thread in the Ports of Call forum three weeks ago and I have not had a response. So since this is a HAL excursion, I'm hoping someone here can advise me.

DH is recovering from a stroke and will probably be using a Rollator (Walker) on our cruise in January. Is the Horse & Carriage ride in Cartagena Columbia really difficult to get into and out of?

Edited by canadarocks

• canadarocks changed the title to Medieval Cartagena by Horse & Carriage-accessible for a mobility challenged person?

We did this excursion a few years ago & I would say Yes, it would be difficult....we didn't think it was a very enjoyable tour but if you do it, try & get in the forward facing seat...we didn't know any better & were facing the rear of the carriage.  

I see two difficulties, based on taking horse & buggy tours in the past (not in Cartagena). First is climbing up into the carriage. That first step is always high, so trying to overcome that is tough, at best. Perhaps you could give a boost?
The second problem is what to do with the rollator while in the carriage. There is usually no place to store it in the carriage itself, so it would have to be left. Will it be secure and safe?

Thank you both. RuthC, he's recovering very well and he might be able to get by with a cane. Depending on how far a walk it is from the ship to the bus that takes us to the tour. But I'm also not sure whether the excursion itself is a good idea. I've just read some really bad reviews based on the condition of the horses. 57redbird, can I ask what you didn't enjoy?

Anyone who has been to Cartagena with Holland America, is there a tour that you would recommend for someone who's mobility challenged? We've never been there, so we'd like to see Cartagena if possible. 

Edited by canadarocks

If he has medical equipment he can't take on a shore excursion, he can bring it as far as the gangway and store it there until he returns to the ship. If necessary, he can ask to use it getting down the gangway and have a steward there bring it back up, or you could do that.

I book my shore excursions in advance, then go to the Shore Excursion Desk shortly after boarding to discuss my choices with them. Sometimes they are not suitable, and I change to a different tour. Such questions as to how far is the walk to the bus can be answered or determined with some time. If necessary, the staff can contact the excursion operator to learn more.
It's a good practice, and has served me well.

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much RuthC. I've changed our tour booking in Cartagena to the National Aviary. I realize that one involves a lot of walking , but i've read that he can bring his walker there and he can use it to sit and rest if necessary. 

But I'll definitely confirm whether that tour (and the Rain Forest Tram in Costa Rica) is suitable with the shore excursion staff onboard before our port visits. 

Did the “less shopping” excursion  in Cartagena on my Panama Canal cruise earlier this year.It’s a fair amount of walking,and(depending on the time of year)can be hot.It also involves getting in and out of a bus a few times but usually the buses are parked close to a place where it’s easy to step up.

(OOPS....sorry....this is about Cartagena, Spain.....and I haven't figured out how to delete....:)

We did the "Discover Cartagena by Trolley Train" earlier this year...

It was easy to get into and was a nice overview of the old parts of the city. 

Near the end of the tour....we had to walk about 3 blocks to the Town Square which included a free drink.  I chose and really enjoyed the thick hot chocolate....but not the 3 block walk back to the Trolley.  

I notice they are listing this tour's activity level as "moderate" now....I am pretty sure it was "easy" when I booked the tour....

IMG_4845.JPG

Edited by Rowsby