New P&O deals

Balaena

Got to say that the deals that they are rolling out now are what I would describe as 'no deal'. Fortunately we have booked our 2019 & 20 cruises at registration and have got a much better 'deal' than is on current offer for the same category.  Think folks would be best advised to hold their powder until P&O start to get desperate six months or so before sailing unless you are after a specific cabin/suite.

Here is the definitive answer to the perennial question ‘when is the best time to buy a cruise?’

Answer: Not today. 

There is much evidence to support the notion that yesterday or the day before etc were better days to buy. 

Similarly  there is compelling evidence to support the argument that tomorrow or some date in the future will be cheaper. 

Only slight problem....oh, darn it, I’ve missed the boat!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We Canadians also found the price variants vs time a little shocking.  But as now warened, we did request a specific cabin well in advance.  We then began to watch the price decrease.  When approaching those who handle P&O's booking here, they were also a little surprised and sent a request to the UK for clarification.  But a deal is a deal they say so a lesson well learned.

As an item aside, our final fare is calculated in the pounds's value at point of payment. As converting pounds to dollars is a rarity,  one's point of reference tends to mentally go back to one's youth when the pound was equal to about $4.00 CDN.  The conversion under those  rates shocks one back into reality for sure.  Not much question that the folks in the UK get a better deal than we do but if we want to sail P&O, and we do, pardon us if we hope for a weaker pound on payment day.

Edited by ONT-CA
  • Like 1

On 10/31/2018 at 9:03 PM, jeanlyon said:

Agree.  My cruise is £500+ pp more than we paid.

Ha ha. I can trump that, £990.00 per person for an Arcadia  balcony.

With the bonus that gratuities will now be included when there was expectations otherwise when booking.

32 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Ha ha. I can trump that, £990.00 per person for an Arcadia  balcony.

With the bonus that gratuities will now be included when there was expectations otherwise when booking.

A Ha, I see your £990 pp and raise you £2008 pp. on Ventura back to back.

Happy Days

Just tried to check the price for a saver balcony fare on our Jan Caribbean cruise on Ventura to compare with what we paid on launch, but there seems no way to request a cabin grade, it automatically gives you a Fwd Gty price which presumably is the lowest HE grade.  Don't P&O allow you the option to choose a higher grade, at a higher Gty price?

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Just tried to check the price for a saver balcony fare on our Jan Caribbean cruise on Ventura to compare with what we paid on launch, but there seems no way to request a cabin grade, it automatically gives you a Fwd Gty price which presumably is the lowest HE grade.  Don't P&O allow you the option to choose a higher grade, at a higher Gty price?

Using a TA site I can see only one balcony grade and that is HC and it I £3023. The full fare is £3500

11 minutes ago, daiB said:

Using a TA site I can see only one balcony grade and that is HC and it I £3023. The full fare is £3500

Thanks Dai I have found further info on my TA's website.  They have HC, HD, HE and HF grades showing with prices from £2758 to £3398, and all  Gty  fares, but not certain if they are all saver or not.

The cheapest are actually HE grades on Lido or Riviera, all forward but with only minor overhang above, whereas the second highest at £3369 are HE's which include those on Riviera where most have the big overhang, just an interesting observation.