What to do? Adding two to existing bookings....

Nashna

We are taking the family (19 people) on the Allure this June to celebrate our 50th anniversary.  We have 5 Balcony Oceanview rooms together and two suites.  My son and his 8 year old daughter are in one stateroom.  It looks like he will be taking his girlfriend and her 8 year old daughter with him.  Unfortunately, he is booked in a three person balcony, so I just can't add them to his room.  Next door, we have my three 16 to 19 year old grand daughters booked in a four person balcony.  First, we need to switch the two rooms with the granddaughters taking the three person room and then switch my son to that room and add two people.  (I have a headache just thinking about this.)   Making this even more confusing is the fact that the rates have gone way up.  The quad rate has gone from $4300.00 to $6530.00.  Here are some of our options....

1.  Officially switch the rooms and pay the increased cost.

2   Just add one person each to the original rooms and do the switch once we board.  

3.  Wait until there is a kids free promotion to add the 8 year old and change my granddaughter from an adult fare to a child's.  (Right now, my son and his daughter are listed as two adults.

There are a few other complications.  The Allure is still showing availability...however, it could always sell out or be over capacity.   What if we do the switch, pay the extra money, and then my son and his girlfriend break up?  Are third and forth persons in the staterooms still subject to a cancellation fee?   Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

Bob can answer you better then I can but if your going to make any changes, by adding another person/'s, you should do this as soon as possible since once the block of rooms has reached lifeboat capacity, then no more people can be added. As far as where the individuals sleep you can do that once your all on board and get extra keys. One key will remain for the charges to that room & person the other simply enter. If you able to add the additional people now then i would do it. 

1 hour ago, Nashna said:

We are taking the family (19 people) on the Allure this June to celebrate our 50th anniversary.  We have 5 Balcony Oceanview rooms together and two suites.  My son and his 8 year old daughter are in one stateroom.  It looks like he will be taking his girlfriend and her 8 year old daughter with him.  Unfortunately, he is booked in a three person balcony, so I just can't add them to his room.  Next door, we have my three 16 to 19 year old grand daughters booked in a four person balcony.  First, we need to switch the two rooms with the granddaughters taking the three person room and then switch my son to that room and add two people.  (I have a headache just thinking about this.)   Making this even more confusing is the fact that the rates have gone way up.  The quad rate has gone from $4300.00 to $6530.00.  Here are some of our options....

1.  Officially switch the rooms and pay the increased cost.

2   Just add one person each to the original rooms and do the switch once we board.  

3.  Wait until there is a kids free promotion to add the 8 year old and change my granddaughter from an adult fare to a child's.  (Right now, my son and his daughter are listed as two adults.

There are a few other complications.  The Allure is still showing availability...however, it could always sell out or be over capacity.   What if we do the switch, pay the extra money, and then my son and his girlfriend break up?  Are third and forth persons in the staterooms still subject to a cancellation fee?   Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

There are a couple of issues here.

1.  There are no balcony staterooms on Allure that hold 3.  They either hold 2, 4 or 5.

2 . Any balcon6 stateroom that holds 4 or 5 will have a cabin that holds 2 on both sides of it.

Please  provide cabin numbers so we can help you sort this out.

I must be missing something here.  Every Ocean View Balcony Room on Deck 12 is showing either a single pull out couch or a double.    

2D
1D
6D
5D

Ocean View Balcony

Vast views of the landscapes, seascapes and skies are yours to enjoy from your private balcony. (Up to 4 guests)

Beds
  • Two twin beds that convert to a Royal King bed
  • One single sofa bed in staterooms with up to 3 guests
  • One double sofa bed in staterooms with up to 4 guests
Size
  • Stateroom: 182 sq. ft.
  • Balcony: 50 sq. ft.

30 minutes ago, crooser6 said:

You could tell your son "sorry" but to add his girlfriend is cost prohibitive.

He is going to pay the increased cost.  Now, if they get married prior to the cruise, we will take care of it.   

12 minutes ago, Nashna said:

I must be missing something here.  Every Ocean View Balcony Room on Deck 12 is showing either a single pull out couch or a double.    

2D
1D
6D
5D

Ocean View Balcony

Vast views of the landscapes, seascapes and skies are yours to enjoy from your private balcony. (Up to 4 guests)

Beds
Size

A single couch does not count as a berth. You can only put 2 people into those cabins.  

Only the cabins with symbols on the deck plans can accomodate more than 2 guests v

15 minutes ago, Nashna said:

2D
1D
6D
5D

Ocean View Balcony

Beds
Size

2D and 6 D (even numbers). Accomodate 2 guestsodd numbered categories accomodate more than 2 guests. 

I just spoke to RCCL and they confirmed that there are only two berths allowed in this room category.  I am really upset because when we booked in January, our TA was aware that we might need to add people to those rooms.   We have parents and children in adjoining rooms, so rebooking everyone now is going to be impossible as the ship is selling out.   Getting everyone onboard is not an issue as we are in a Grand Suite and can take another child in with us.  The problem is that all the kids are going to want to be in the same area and will want to sleep together.   

Why not just book an inside for the GF and her kid, and then have them sleep in his room? You could probably use it for luggage storage with that many people on board. Even better, have them book it then they will be the ones on the hook if they break up. 

Edited by lbjen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nashna said:

I just spoke to RCCL and they confirmed that there are only two berths allowed in this room category.  I am really upset because when we booked in January, our TA was aware that we might need to add people to those rooms.   We have parents and children in adjoining rooms, so rebooking everyone now is going to be impossible as the ship is selling out.   Getting everyone onboard is not an issue as we are in a Grand Suite and can take another child in with us.  The problem is that all the kids are going to want to be in the same area and will want to sleep together.   

I'm confused. You booked this almost a year ago and told your TA you might need to add people to the rooms. What did you expect your TA to do at the time you booked without booking those 2 passengers at the time of booking?

We had several different discussions about adding to those rooms.   She knew it was a possibility when she booked them and assured me we would not have a problem adding others to the room as long as the ship was still available to reserve.  I typically book my own cruises and then transfer them over to a TA.  Because I was booking 7 rooms and needed to get the children next to their parents, I relied on her.  Unfortunately, she left the agency shortly after I booked this cruise  and another agent has taken over my bookings.  My goal now is to get this straightened out as easily and economically as possible.  

56 minutes ago, Nashna said:

Can those two person rooms actually fit another person?  If so, we would add a child to our room to get them on the ship and then have them actually stay with their parents.  

Don’t overlook the muster station factor. Just because you think you can add to your suite may not be true - depends on the muster station and if it is full, regardless of the actual cabin capacity. 

I agree.  Right now, the ship still has lots of availability.  However, The Allure is very popular in June and I want to get this taken care of as soon as possible.  My concern is that the two person room be large enough to accommodate a 9 year old extra child.

13 minutes ago, Nashna said:

I agree.  Right now, the ship still has lots of availability.  However, The Allure is very popular in June and I want to get this taken care of as soon as possible.  My concern is that the two person room be large enough to accommodate a 9 year old extra child.

Not sure what you are asking. The 2-person cabin doesn’t have a bed for the “extra child” - where is the child going to sleep?  Earlier poster indicated no sofa bed (that would be a 3-4 person cabin). If you are thinking that the child could sleep on the couch - perhaps but I would not recommend.  It’s not very big and no bedding unless you ask cabin steward to make up. Some stewards may/may not. Affects their automatic gratuity and also against rules. 

With that many people I would have let the TA or agent  handle all the arrangements and add the people immediately. If some end up cancelling you could then shuffle people around.  Even if you didn't have a name, book for x # of people to each cabin, then you wouldn't be trying to add someone now or let the individuals get their own rooms. 

I think a problem they're going to run into is that they want the 3 16-19 year olds to be in a room and they have to be next to an adult's cabin but according to ourusualbeach there are no balcony cabins that fit 4+ people adjacent to another 4+ cabin. So if the son moves into a 4 person room that he can share with the gf and her kid then there's no one next to the cabin with the 3 teenagers - which isn't allowed. 

2 person balconies won't be able to sleep 4 unless it's going to be a slumber party on the bed. And if you add one of the 8/9 year olds to your GS it's likely that they'll be in a different muster station from their parent. 

What should have been done a year ago is beside the point now.  I am not going to dwell on advice I should have been given.  Now, I need to come up with a solution.  Right now, it appears that the best bet is for me to add a child to my room and a forth to the triple.  That will get everyone on the cruise and we can figure out logistics when we board.  The children are all very close.   We travel frequently as a group and I'm always amazed how they will finagle their sleeping arrangements.  

That creates a problem and reason best to add additional people in the beginning. You book early enough then you get the cabins and location needed. Once all are on board then you can have people sleep where they want. Good luck and wishing you and your family an enjoyable cruise. :classic_smile: