Free airfare questions

pizzuti15

On 11/6/2018 at 4:26 PM, pizzuti15 said:

Does anyone know if rates seem to be cheaper when this isn’t offered? Is it actually a deal?

I typically like picking my own airfare so I have control. Should I wait to book?

When I priced out a flight on my own from JFK - MIA it would be minimum $250 pp. By going with the free air promo from NCL, we're saving $500. Even if we don't sit next to each other, it's a short flight and $500 savings is worth it to me. 

On 11/10/2018 at 5:29 AM, terry&mike said:

Then I would suggest that the NCL air promo is not for you, for a couple of reasons.

The first being that your air routing is not ticketed and sent to you until 30-60 days before departure; on popular routes, seat selection may already be quite limited by this time, so even if in Main Cabin Economy, you may not be able to locate seats next to each other.

The second reason being is that they could certainly choose Basic Economy fares, as reported above. It has not been my experience that cruise lines use Basic Economy as their fare class, but there is nothing prohibiting them from using this fare class, and they are profit driven, so it stands to reason that they may. The "free air" promo is rather new to NCL as a booking promo, so until more people actually receive their flight routes, we may not have enough data to know their norm. 

In your case, I'd book my own airfare, so that you know what you are getting. If sitting together is a must, then I'd rather be in control of my air booking.

Happy Travels!

Thank you. I am learning more about the Basic Economy and have discovered that Delta won't let you pay for seats together. American and United will let you pay if available (with different time frames). You are right. To sit together, we need to book independent air. 

I just got off the phone with an NCL rep (I know you can get different answers all the time).   I inquired about going to NOLA 2 or 3 days prior to the sailing and was told that was possible.  But I would be charged a $50 pp "early deviation fee" = no problem.  There was no mention of having to book my hotel with NCL.    Also there could be an extra charge if the flight cost more leaving on a different day.   If the cruise is scheduled for a Sunday and the flight was $200 for that day but I chose to leave on Friday and that flight was $300, I would also have to the pay the difference.   SO, if I do not get my flight information prior to final payment I really have no idea what the cost of my trip would be??  They could say I owe another several hundred dollars and I would no recourse since it would be after final payment.   So has anyone actually used this free airfare and completely there trip with feedback? 

I too called NCL interested in the free air to NOLA as Air out of Seattle was in the 600+ range for just the bad flights..  I always fly in at least a day or two early so I asked.  Nothing was mentioned about a 50pp air deviation but they told me I could if I booked a room through them.  She told me it would be about 190 pp per nt. plus 299 for air as Seattle wasn't on the Free list.  Made it not such a great deal.   

BTW I called last week not today like the last post stated.  Things may have changed. My guess is, different reps give different answers. 

• 3 months later...
On 11/14/2018 at 10:53 AM, Lineaway said:

I too called NCL interested in the free air to NOLA as Air out of Seattle was in the 600+ range for just the bad flights..  I always fly in at least a day or two early so I asked.  Nothing was mentioned about a 50pp air deviation but they told me I could if I booked a room through them.  She told me it would be about 190 pp per nt. plus 299 for air as Seattle wasn't on the Free list.  Made it not such a great deal.   

BTW I called last week not today like the last post stated.  Things may have changed. My guess is, different reps give different answers. 

Our Cruise Consultant stated we could deviate up to a few days before and/or after the cruise dates with the $50 pp fee.  She also mentioned the transfers and hotel would be from the airport.  Only when I stated we would want to say close to cruise port did she say I could opt out of their hotel and the transfers to the pier.  Opted out of return transfers since we want to take excursion on the last day. Hoping it all works like she said...

On 11/11/2018 at 7:33 PM, oregonian123 said:

Thank you. I am learning more about the Basic Economy and have discovered that Delta won't let you pay for seats together. American and United will let you pay if available (with different time frames). You are right. To sit together, we need to book independent air. 

if u check many other threads, the cruisers were able to book seats next to each other with NCL flights.

2 hours ago, tokidoki said:

if u check many other threads, the cruisers were able to book seats next to each other with NCL flights.

Hi, thank you for your info. In the end, NCL booked us in Regular Economy so we were able to choose seats together. Thanks again.

It seems to be a little known secret I suppose that once you have your record locator number, you can log in to the respective airline and book your seats. We did this on our recent flight with AA. Met another couple who didn't get to sit next to each other going because they didn't know, but were able to log in and get seats together for the way back at least after I told them the trick.

5 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

It seems to be a little known secret I suppose that once you have your record locator number, you can log in to the respective airline and book your seats. We did this on our recent flight with AA. Met another couple who didn't get to sit next to each other going because they didn't know, but were able to log in and get seats together for the way back at least after I told them the trick.

Dont people usually do this? It's one of the reasons I was happy we weren't flying southwest. As soon as I knew we were ticketed, i got right on AA website to get our seats.

I have my cruise booked for August, free air out of Newark.  After reading that thread about the passengers stuck at JFK because of a broken down plane, my wife and I realized that we shouldn't take any risks.  I called NCL, asked what my options were, and she told me $50pp air deviation, must choose before final payment. 

My plan is to fly into MIA or FLL, whichever airport they fly us into, rent a car, get a hotel and spend the day/evening with my dad who lives in Pembroke Pines, right by FLL...I do not lose my transfers, and they said the first shuttle leaves the airport at 10:30am, so I'll drop the car off and head to the ship!

• 2 weeks later...

We just got our air information from NCL today, 48 days out and thanks to all your posts were able to choose our seats through the Record Locator.  And, yes they were regular economy tickets, not basic, and non-stop from Dfw to Mia.  We did notice that they chose a flight that was later than others and apparently costs more.  Would like to have been on earlier flight so we could board for lunch and think the 2:00 pier arrival is cutting it close.  We may see about paying $75 to change for an earlier same day flight.

waiting for my flight info, where's DFW?   Thought NCL would put us on the earliest flights?  Glad to hear its not basic economy.  Can u actually change your flight times? thought we couldn't do anything, unless we paid in full for our own flight?  thx

1 hour ago, tokidoki said:

waiting for my flight info, where's DFW?   Thought NCL would put us on the earliest flights?  Glad to hear its not basic economy.  Can u actually change your flight times? thought we couldn't do anything, unless we paid in full for our own flight?  thx

DFW is Dallas Ft Worth, Texas. You can pay the $50 and ask NCL if they can change the flight time. However, either way you are guaranteed arrival to the ship.

46 minutes ago, Animalgirl27 said:

DFW is Dallas Ft Worth, Texas. You can pay the $50 and ask NCL if they can change the flight time. However, either way you are guaranteed arrival to the ship.

I am sooo confused, as I've been told by NCL that we can't do any adjusting with the free perk>???  are u talking about changing the time on the same day flights, cause I know its $50 if u fly in a day earlier?  thx

1 minute ago, tokidoki said:

I am sooo confused, as I've been told by NCL that we can't do any adjusting with the free perk>???  are u talking about changing the time on the same day flights, cause I know its $50 if u fly in a day earlier?  thx

Yes I was referring to the flight times. 

1 hour ago, tokidoki said:

same day?  sorry, but I would love to know if u r able to change a flight the same day as cruise with the perk!

No, it's $50 to change your flight to a different day. I have not heard of anyone being able to change their flight times on the same day as the cruise embarkation/debarkation. The $50 is to set a different day to fly in or out prior to NCL actually booking your airfare. Once NCL has booked your airfare and your flights are assigned, I am certain they cannot be changed.

Not sure how everyone is finding these free airfares; any cruises I have priced either don't offer it or do but then the base price goes up a lot.  Maybe it's because we are not in a major market, or just not choosing cruises that have 'free' air.

I was not clear on my thoughts on trying to change flight under same day or Standby with the airline, not NCL.  Yes, you can pay the $50pp for deviation for NCL to add days before/after cruise.  I read on NcL you can call the air department to request specific flights but it will incur a fee.  I may try that for our next cruise air perk this fall to see how much that costs.  It may be cheaper than the airline charge of $75pp for same day option only.  Sorry for the confusion!

2 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Not sure how everyone is finding these free airfares; any cruises I have priced either don't offer it or do but then the base price goes up a lot.  Maybe it's because we are not in a major market, or just not choosing cruises that have 'free' air.

Yes, our air choices were never free, starting at $99 for one cruise, $149 for another and $399 for another.  We opted not to use the $399 since I could find it cheaper without having to drive 3 hours to DFW, instead flying from our local airport. Soon after booking the $149 trip from our hometown they took our airport off the list of cities saying it had reached capacity, but lots of seats and flights were available for all airlines.  It is still removed so I don’t know if it will ever come back as a choice.