CHICAGOPAUL - LIVE!!!!!!! CRUISE BLOG - November 5th Celebrity Reflection!!!!!!!!!

chicagopaul

Hi Paul really enjoying your review and look forward to the next daily instalment. Can I ask, when you were in Cartagena, were you able to walk between the Old Town and the San Felipe de Barajas Fort?  We are on same cruise in December. Thank - you.

I just wanted to catch up on a few updates. 

TV news stations: Still out! The ship has been downloading segments and playing them on loop so hopefully that is satisfying those that were quite upset at this. 

Indian Dinner in our suite: Walter did a great job. Given we’re only in a sky suite he brought in the appetizer on a large rolling table. As we were eating that he arrived with the rest of the meal. He had a bottle of Pinot Grigio we were given set up on ice. He told us once we were done to call him for dessert and we could decide exactly what we wanted. We went with some apple pie, ice cream and coffee. It arrived very quickly and we had him set it up on the balcony. It really was a great meal and very relaxing. I thought it might be a bit awkward with him serving the meal but he did a great job of taking care of what we needed and then leaving us be. 

The food was amazing and more than enough. It was nothing we’ve seen on the menu in ocean view in the Indian Buffett. The two sea bass for instance were incredible and just beautiful in presentation. When we ordered we told him to bring whatever he’d like and that we like spicy. It was spicy but “American” spicy haha. We could have handled a bit more heat but he did a great job of not trying to kill us. 

Costa Rica Tour. Our tour yesterday went to Manzanillo wildlife refuge and the town of Puerto Viejo. We got off the ship at 9:15am and into a 18 or so passenger bus with driver and guide. Our guide was Richard. He was very nice, friendly and energetic. He clearly knew what he was talking about. Unfortunately we did not see too many animals. Since it was Sunday the wild life refuge was teaming with people so that scared a lot of the animals away. We did see some sloths though none very up close. We saw some woodpeckers in action and learned about plants. Even though we didn’t see much it was not due to Richard. His vision was incredible and what we did see took at least a minute of him scolding exactly where to look and sure enough there they were. 

Id likely recommend a tour not on a Sunday or one that might go a bit deeper into the rainforest if you’d like to see more animals up close. 

We visited the town of Puerto Viejo on the way back. I spent some time there in the past so it holds a special place in my heart. It was great to walk around and show Edward around what I remember. It is not the most pretty town and spending only an hour there won’t let you experience or see the beauty that really exists there. You need to spend a week or more. I think that is the problem with Costa Rica. Half the beauty is the animals and landscape, the other is the people. It’s difficult to experience that all in one day. It’s not like a large city that can swallow you whole in a day. 

59 minutes ago, wee mo said:

Hi Paul really enjoying your review and look forward to the next daily instalment. Can I ask, when you were in Cartagena, were you able to walk between the Old Town and the San Felipe de Barajas Fort?  We are on same cruise in December. Thank - you.

Our bus driver stopped and allowed us to take photos. It appeared that it could be walking distance yes, just not the nicest walk since it’s a little busy (and looks run down) in that area plus the humidity and heat. But it looked doable, but just not the easiest. 

13 hours ago, 39august said:

Does this mean that you can request an Indian menu in the MDR?  I would love to try that!

There was an Indian menu available in the MDR on Solstice when we sailed on her in December 2016. You have to ask for it. Our party ordered from it a couple of times and the food was good.

Good Morning from the Sunsey Bar. Singh is filling in for Milton today! While my daily photos downsize let’s start with photos from an amazing dinner in Luminae! The lobster was amazing. Truly perfect. The lamb was great too. Edward and I decided we would have a lobster in the center to share and both get the lamb. We started with the shellfish stew, then had the wedge salad, and then onto the entree. We were too full for dessert. 

7F2716AA-2F9E-43FA-ADDF-98F6E8F9856C.jpeg

A2864664-FE51-4F9C-B865-5AD2D7448A85.jpeg

23511D48-EB1C-49ED-BDB0-67D53B9CD6CF.jpeg

D277B59C-1EEA-4D90-8669-6D76FBE04A16.jpeg

11888A9E-7473-426D-8F20-36885A217070.jpeg

86D7B692-B906-4119-9699-CE4A4547B6EF.jpeg

• Like 1

So we were invited to the helipad port arrival today at 9:45 into Costa Maya. But the view from sunset bar is even better especially considering we are backing into the port. 

We also submitted a comment card about our butler praising him for our in room dinner and his overall great enthusiasm throughout this cruise. We received a reply right away, you’ll see it posted below. 

Also below is the laundry bag challenge card promotion for those of you interested. 

Fyi it it feels great having normal internet so I can update you all. 

D30A3E80-0C2B-4A6F-A32E-B41D5C8BA214.jpeg

51CE4212-EE29-473E-B24E-1F5E7AC24AD6.jpeg

65633B66-D4CA-4951-A614-DA298735F7FF.jpeg

Great blog and thank you for sharing. The food photos are making me hungry ... the Indian dinner in your cabin in particular. Now I have to ask, and I know the expression if you have to ask you can't afford it, but could you tell us what that in cabin dinner cost? Thank you.

Paul, great reporting. We leave this Fri on Reflection and I am enjoying your posts. I couldn't help but notice the different features on the daily buffets. Is Gourmet Lunch Buffet an oxymoron? Curious if you (or anyone) can confirm what they serve.

5 hours ago, signman said:

Thanks so much for all your efforts to keep us up to date with you and Edward.   Do Elites still get one bag of laundry gratis?

Yes one bag each for elite and 2 bags each for elite plus. 

4 hours ago, getfuzzyfan said:

Great blog and thank you for sharing. The food photos are making me hungry ... the Indian dinner in your cabin in particular. Now I have to ask, and I know the expression if you have to ask you can't afford it, but could you tell us what that in cabin dinner cost? Thank you.

No cost! Since we’re in a suite the butler arranged all this for us. We did tip. Specifically we tipped him $60 that night and this will be on top of what we tip him at the end of the cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dincus said:

Have you guys eaten at The Porch and do you have a photo of the menu? Thanks.

We have not this cruise but I’ll take a photo of the menu for you on my way to sunset tomorrow morning. I did talk to a couple who ate there and they said it was very good this cruise. 

1 hour ago, JoeMammy said:

Paul, great reporting. We leave this Fri on Reflection and I am enjoying your posts. I couldn't help but notice the different features on the daily buffets. Is Gourmet Lunch Buffet an oxymoron? Curious if you (or anyone) can confirm what they serve.

We’ve eaten in the buffet for lunch a few times. On some days they’ll have a special theme such as “A Taste of Colombia” etc when you’re in port. I think on regular days they put Gourmet on the menu. I haven’t noticed anything different. 

2 hours ago, chicagopaul said:

I know someone asked about the pricing of different tastings. We saw this posted in the ships yesterday. We haven’t really seen much advertising for this with the exception of a couple times in the daily. 

11F3BACF-61BC-4B46-84DB-0FA7D1DF1B17.jpeg

On the Eclipse this past April they also offered a Macallan and a cachacha tasting for $25 at the World Class Bar.

36 minutes ago, Briggs99 said:

Paul, how do they select who is invited to the helipad arrival or departure. 

Great Blog! Thanks for sharing 

One never knows!😂....we have neither status nor were we in a suite on our last cruise this past September and we were invited to the helipad the day we left. We did book a cruise on board the previous year and if I remember correctly our invitation could’ve been from the future cruise desk,  but i don’t remember 

• Like 1