Sales for drink package ?

As a few others have mentioned, you need to consider all "fluid" consumption.   Now we like a drink or two at dinner, a Bailey's on the Rocks at the evening show, and a Hennessy with my cigar buddies as we "solve the world's problems" at the end of the night.    Using a rough $10 per drink, that's $0/day right there.   On seas days we'll have something slushy in the Solarium or a few beers.    Then you have to consider bottles of water.    At $2.50 a bottle (if its still that cheap) we go thru a lot.     We stock the fridge in the room with bottled water.   One on each bedside at night. A couple during the day.   A few to take a long with us on excursions.  At that point a $50ish/day price makes it a close enough deal.   We're fussing of a few bucks a day at that point and its worth it to simply not have to worry about "should I buy that drink".    At $56/day (plus 18% gratuity) its gets a little sketchy.    If drink cards on day three were a reliable expectation, then refreshment only would make sense at the higher price.

All that said, I'm hoping a deal pops up on Black Friday.   We scored one each of the last two years.    $39/day in 2016 and $45 last year.

In the end, think of everything you drink.    If it doesn't make sense , buy individually.   If its close, don't sweat the couple of bucks and take the worry out of your vacation.

Happy sailing.

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people sitting

Edited by zdad59
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Hey, what is that yummy looking green drink??!!

It’s actually BLUE.     It’s a Blue Hawaiian.    Our groups traditional 1st drink on the cruise.   We are parents of Delaware BLUE HENS football players, so it has to be a blue drink. 

1 hour ago, zdad59 said:

It’s actually BLUE.     It’s a Blue Hawaiian.    Our groups traditional 1st drink on the cruise.   We are parents of Delaware BLUE HENS football players, so it has to be a blue drink. 

Oh great. Great to see those again. Those are my fav drinks next to Lava Flows. Wish they advertised them more though so others would know about them. 🙂

Are there different sizes of drinks? I think I remember in the last that one could get a double or something that is in the larger glasses but perhaps that is no longer. Thanks. 

Edited by sh2738

22 hours ago, sh2738 said:

Has anyone found that getting the drink package actually saves any money? Assuming the current price of 52/person/day, that would come to almost $730 for one cabin for drinks only. If using the lower sale of 49, that would still amount to nearly $690 for two people, since all adults in one cabin are forced to get it. And that seems like a lot for just drinks. 

Im curious if people who buy this package believe that they have actually saved money compared to just buying the drinks without the package. I’ve never bought the package because it’s hard for me to imagine that it saves you money when it’s that expensive. 

It it seems that in order to break even, one would have to drink at minimum 4 or 5 drink per day including port days and drink more then that  to be getting use of the package. 

But im curious to see what others have experienced. I am guessing that one would need to be a pretty heavy drinker in order to make good use out of it. But I’ve never done it so I’m unsure. Thanks. 

I easily came out ahead on my last cruise.  

Between specialty coffee, bottles of water, soda, $12 frozen drinks by the pool, $12 glasses of wine with dinner.  Then a couple of drinks after dinner.

Edited by dcgrumpy

33 minutes ago, dcgrumpy said:

I easily came out ahead on my last cruise.  

Between specialty coffee, bottles of water, soda, $12 frozen drinks by the pool, $12 glasses of wine with dinner.  Then a couple of drinks after dinner.

How is the specialty coffee in cafe promenade? The ship I’m going on has Starbucks separate that isn’t included so I’m trying to see if the premium RCL coffee could be substituted for Starbucks, particularly for flavored Lattes and Flavored Frappes. Thanks. 

8 minutes ago, sh2738 said:

How is the specialty coffee in cafe promenade? The ship I’m going on has Starbucks separate that isn’t included so I’m trying to see if the premium RCL coffee could be substituted for Starbucks, particularly for flavored Lattes and Flavored Frappes. Thanks. 

I think it's fine. I'm not really picky though. 

If you're interested in the Drink Package, I'd wait for Black Friday.  I got fabulous pricing on both of our cruises earlier this year, though Harmony was still higher than Radiance.

As for whether it's worth it or not, it really is up to you.  My parents did not get the package, but they're fine with the coffee, tea, and tap water that's available.  My mom doesn't really drink except for an occasional margarita.  My stepdad might have one scotch once in awhile.  They used their OBC in other ways (my mom did a lot of shopping.)

But for my brother and I, it was definitely worth it.  I always ended up with two or three specialty coffees a day (our MDR waiter upon finding out that I loved "enhanced" coffee after dinner, he'd go to Cafe Promenade and make me something delicious), at least one fresh squeezed OJ, champagne to make that OJ a mimosa, sparkling water every time I passed a bar, a glass of wine with lunch and a glass or two with dinner.  Cocktails varied depending upon sea day or not, but nothing's better than sipping a frozen drink while sitting in the jacuzzi.  And then there were all those bottles of water which came in very handy on port days.

The $41/day?  Worth it.  Now, like others have said, if the price starts hitting $15/day more than that?  Not sure it's worth it.  That's when you have to figure out if it is.  Also, my husband was able to get only the Refreshment package and didn't have to buy the Drink Package (but he does have a medical reason for that) so that figured in, too.

I hope that helps!

4 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

If you're interested in the Drink Package, I'd wait for Black Friday.  I got fabulous pricing on both of our cruises earlier this year, though Harmony was still higher than Radiance.

As for whether it's worth it or not, it really is up to you.  My parents did not get the package, but they're fine with the coffee, tea, and tap water that's available.  My mom doesn't really drink except for an occasional margarita.  My stepdad might have one scotch once in awhile.  They used their OBC in other ways (my mom did a lot of shopping.)

But for my brother and I, it was definitely worth it.  I always ended up with two or three specialty coffees a day (our MDR waiter upon finding out that I loved "enhanced" coffee after dinner, he'd go to Cafe Promenade and make me something delicious), at least one fresh squeezed OJ, champagne to make that OJ a mimosa, sparkling water every time I passed a bar, a glass of wine with lunch and a glass or two with dinner.  Cocktails varied depending upon sea day or not, but nothing's better than sipping a frozen drink while sitting in the jacuzzi.  And then there were all those bottles of water which came in very handy on port days.

The $41/day?  Worth it.  Now, like others have said, if the price starts hitting $15/day more than that?  Not sure it's worth it.  That's when you have to figure out if it is.  Also, my husband was able to get only the Refreshment package and didn't have to buy the Drink Package (but he does have a medical reason for that) so that figured in, too.

I hope that helps!

1 hour ago, TravisP said:

Here is a spreadsheet to help calculate is drink package is worth the cost. 

Beverage Program Calculation.xls

Thanks so much for all of this. Very helpful. 

Does anyone one know how the specialty coffee, especially flavored lattes and flavored frappes, are on the new Oasis class ships? The one I am going on has a stand alone Starbucks which I know isn’t included. But maybe we could do with the Café promenade premium coffee if it’s good. That would impact our decision a lot as we love coffee 🙂

Thanks all. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sh2738 said:

Thanks so much for all of this. Very helpful. 

Does anyone one know how the specialty coffee, especially flavored lattes and flavored frappes, are on the new Oasis class ships? The one I am going on has a stand alone Starbucks which I know isn’t included. But maybe we could do with the Café promenade premium coffee if it’s good. That would impact our decision a lot as we love coffee 🙂

Thanks all. 

We sailed on Harmony this past June and I never stepped foot in Starbucks.  The specialty coffee they serve in the Cafe Promenade is very good.  I can't speak about Frappes, I'm not sure they do those?  But they do have all the traditional flavors and experienced baristas.  That said, I wish they'd had more staff because it was always pretty busy.

On 11/5/2018 at 2:55 PM, sh2738 said:

Has anyone found that getting the drink package actually saves any money? Assuming the current price of 52/person/day, that would come to almost $730 for one cabin for drinks only. If using the lower sale of 49, that would still amount to nearly $690 for two people, since all adults in one cabin are forced to get it. And that seems like a lot for just drinks. 

Im curious if people who buy this package believe that they have actually saved money compared to just buying the drinks without the package. I’ve never bought the package because it’s hard for me to imagine that it saves you money when it’s that expensive. 

It it seems that in order to break even, one would have to drink at minimum 4 or 5 drink per day including port days and drink more then that  to be getting use of the package. 

But im curious to see what others have experienced. I am guessing that one would need to be a pretty heavy drinker in order to make good use out of it. But I’ve never done it so I’m unsure. Thanks. 

We bought drink packages for our Allure cruise in January. We didnt used to get them, but last time we did and we loved not having to worry about racking up a bill to pay after the cruise, just enjoy my vacation and order whatever I want when I want. 

Also, when we talked it through ourselves it is definitely worth it. Packages include bottled water, so we would each get 2 as we got off the ship ($6). We have fresh squeezed OJ for breakfast every morning ($4). We usually come back on the ship for lunch if our excursion doesnt include it and get a drink since we already paid for it ($13). We sit in the got tub and have a drink or two before dinner ($10-20). Have the shot of the day after dinner ($10). 

And right there before even adding in soft drinks and tea, juice, smoothies at the spa, milkshakes from Johnny Rockets weve already made the package worth it! Just have to remember it includes everything you are drinking, not just alcoholic drinks. 

17 hours ago, TravisP said:

Here is a spreadsheet to help calculate is drink package is worth the cost. 

Beverage Program Calculation.xls

Thank you for this spreadsheet! For me it seems it would be better to get the package even though I am not a huge drinker. With the water, soda and coffee, I would more than meet the per day price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kcwiak said:

Thank you for this spreadsheet! For me it seems it would be better to get the package even though I am not a huge drinker. With the water, soda and coffee, I would more than meet the per day price.

Yes. A lot of times people just look at the alcohol part of it. 

Thank you TravisP for the spread sheet. On recent cruises we have taken the Deluxe drink package as we think it is good

value for us.

We have a cruise booked for Allure in April 2019 and we got the package at $56 + gratuity = $66.08 per person per day.

$925.12 for both of us on 7 Night Cruise. Taking all things like water, coffee, fresh OJ and the booze into consideration it is pretty much fair value for us based on current drink prices so we still took it. 

WE will monitor to see if price goes down and if it does we will just cancel and re-book. If it goes up we will not be disappointed. 

• Like 1

I think if prices really do end up doing to around $80 per day, we will no longer do it...  I think I’d be happy with a fancy coffee, 2 waters, a wine with dinner, and 3 mixed drinks a day, and that puts me around $60 a day.

and, if we can still bring 2 bottles of wine onboard and 12 bottles of water, it would end up being less than $60 a day for me.

Edited by vacationlover_mn