A fantastic Restaurant in Old San Juan

April19

Hello,

My Husband & I will be in San Juan in January from 1pm-9pm and we are going to explore old San Juan. I would really like recommendations for a fantastic restaurant in the area, we're looking for the food, view, atmosphere or a combo of all three.

Thanks,

April

For a view and interesting atmosphere, look into Punto de Vista on the top of the Hotel Milano.  It's on Calle Fortaleza near the corner of Calle Tanica, just a short walk from the cruise piers.  If it's a hot day, though, Barrchinas, "home of the pina colada", or El Jarbaritos will satisfy your local atmosphere urges. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

For a view and interesting atmosphere, look into Punto de Vista on the top of the Hotel Milano.  It's on Calle Fortaleza near the corner of Calle Tanica, just a short walk from the cruise piers.  If it's a hot day, though, Barrchinas, "home of the pina colada", or El Jarbaritos will satisfy your local atmosphere urges. 

Absolutely agree. We were there this past September....OP go early enough for the happy hour 2 for one drinks (Coconut Mojito my favorite)...Yummy food ..... wonderful service and rooftop views.

On 11/9/2018 at 8:15 AM, Wrh2016 said:

Marmalade!  Pricey, but one of the best meals we’ve ever had.  Can’t wait to go again this February.  

Ditto!  Food and atmosphere are excellent.  We return time and time again.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/8/2018 at 7:53 AM, Guatiao said:

Pirilo's Pizzeria Rústica is a great option. 

I’m from Puerto Rico and I also recommend Pirilo’s. Obviously not Puertorican cuisine, but the food is fantastic and the atmosphere is wonderful. Very popular with the locals. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, CruisingMarch2016 said:

A couple years ago we walked to the left over a couple streets and found a great local restaurant with tables/sitting in the street. Near the pigeon tree if anyone has been there.

Would love to know the name if anyone knows.

HI! There's one called El Parnaso in Google Maps at Calle del Cristo, maybe it's that one? 

I recommend La Cueva Del Mar in Old San Juan. You can see menus and more on their Facebook page--their website link doesn't seem to work. Inexpensive, including drinks. Terrific empanadillas and tacos. Absolutely delicious local beer and their own sangria. Try the Mahi tacos, the beef jerky empanadillas and the shrimp tacos. Even with a 25% tip, we had a great snack/drinks for two for $25-ish. 

Calle Recinto Sur 305, San Juan Phone: 787.725-8700

On 11/8/2018 at 7:52 AM, crewsweeper said:

I was in Old San Juan recently and I must second Punta de Vista. We ate indoors but it was excellent, and had the most amazing  and huge mofongo. Im a big guy and I can eat. My wife and I shared a mofongo and empanada appetizer and were stuffed and couldnt finish.  The Drink specials during lunch hours dont hurt either BOGO flavored but strong mojitos. Rooftop view, near the cruise port. 

I will definitely be back next time im in OSJ. Craving this mofongo now!

DSC01263.JPG

DSC01264.JPG

DSC01265.JPG

DSC01267.JPG

DSC01268.JPG

DSC01259.JPG

DSC01262.JPG

DSC01266.JPG

• Thanks 1

A few years ago I stayed a few nights in Old San Juan post cruise.  I had one of the days to myself and asked the guy at the desk of the small hotel where I was staying about a local restaurant that had authentic Puerto Rican food.  He recommended Raices.  I went there and had a great lunch.  A couple of years later I was in port for the day and went back.  I was not disappointed the second time.  I can't vouch for the authenticity, but the decor is great, the food was very good as was the service.  It's an easy walk if your ship docks near Old San Juan.  Do a search for Raices Restaurant San Juan.  The website will come up in Spanish, but the site can be translated.  I'm going to be in San Juan again next month, and if I don't do an excursion I think I'll return to Raices.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/8/2018 at 7:53 AM, Guatiao said:

If artisan pizza is of the liking of any visitor, Pirilo's Pizzeria Rústica is a great option. 

I agree, and they have other things besides pizza, we loved it...so unique whether you stay downstairs or head upstairs!

• Like 1