New to NCL...lots of questions!

CherylCT

Trying to navigate my way, but finding it a little difficult.  So...we have the free drinks, 3 for-fee restaurants, wifi, $50 off excursions package.  Are the restaurants whichever ones you choose?  No other fees?  Do the drinks include ANY and ALL kinds of alcohol?

Considering doing the spa package, but if I'm understanding correctly, the VIBE adults only area is an extra $200 (or something) per person? Are there any adult-only areas that do not cost extra?  Is there something else called Spice something?  It also appears that some of the shows cost extra.  Is there one location that has all this info in one place?  Can you make reservations ahead of time for any/all of these?

Sorry for all the questions.  BTW, we are sailing in April on the Escape out of NYC.  Anyone know anything about long-term parking there?

TIA!

7 minutes ago, CherylCT said:

Trying to navigate my way, but finding it a little difficult.  So...we have the free drinks, 3 for-fee restaurants, wifi, $50 off excursions package.  Are the restaurants whichever ones you choose?  No other fees?  Do the drinks include ANY and ALL kinds of alcohol?

Any alcoholic drinks up to $15/drink.  If you order a drink over $15, you only pay the difference.  Some restaurants include additional per person charges for an upgrade to that particular restaurant but for the most part, all are included.  The meals include appetizer/salad, entree, side, dessert typically although some waiters will sneak in extras if you ask nicely.  For the most part, the only hard rule is the one entree per person.

Considering doing the spa package, but if I'm understanding correctly, the VIBE adults only area is an extra $200 (or something) per person? Are there any adult-only areas that do not cost extra?  Is there something else called Spice something?  It also appears that some of the shows cost extra.  Is there one location that has all this info in one place?  Can you make reservations ahead of time for any/all of these?

Spice H20 is adult only during the day but usually becomes a party venue at night open to all.  Vibe is 16 or 18 and up I believe (not sure).  I recommend the spa thermal pass...  We do it on every ship and the Escape thermal suite is great!!!

Sorry for all the questions.  BTW, we are sailing in April on the Escape out of NYC.  Anyone know anything about long-term parking there?

TIA!

27 minutes ago, CherylCT said:

TIA!

Specialty Dining and Drink Package had fees (gratuity) added at booking. You don't have to tip more 

At the 120 mark before cruise you can make reservations for your Specialty Dining choices. It is advisable to do so, although NCL only books about 30% of times pre-cruise. You can book onboard.

Spice H2O is adults only during the day. It's free. We had Vibe passes and loved it. 

The spa on the Escape is excellent. Especially loved the hydrotherapy pool.

Drinks are anything up to $15.00 over that you pay the difference + 20% gratuity on the difference. Ex. Chocolate Martini's were 17.95 in 2016 , so it cost me about 3.50 extra for those.

1 tip enjoy the Waterfront, very relaxing having cocktails and seeing the Ocean.

55 minutes ago, CherylCT said:

TIA!

Parking at the pier is $40/day.  Other options have been discussed on the East Coast Departure board so you will want to check there.

1 hour ago, CherylCT said:

Trying to navigate my way, but finding it a little difficult.  So...we have the free drinks, 3 for-fee restaurants, wifi, $50 off excursions package.  <snip>

TIA!

If you search this board, you'll find some tips about booking the restaurants. Looking at the website, you'll find 7 (my opinion) specialty restaurants...i.e. that charge.  Some have a fixed fee:  Teppanyaki and Moderno.  Some are ala carte: Cagney's, Le Bistro, Bayamo, La Cucina, and Food Republic (haven't been there).  You can book your 3 free meals at any of those.  

Using your SDP (specialty dining package), I'd suggest booking the fixed fee places first, then the ala carte places.  Why?  Booking the fixed fee venues under the dining package won't cause the website to want to charge your credit card.  But, once the dining package diners are used up, the web will want to charge you for booking fixed fee places.  The ala carte venues won't incur a charge until you go there and eat.

Under the dining package, at the ala carte places, you get appetizers (the printout I have says unlimited but they hassle me if I want more than 2), ONE entree, and dessert (says unlimited but I'm always so full one seems too many).  At Teppanyaki, you order and get whatever the chef gives you since that is the style.  At Moderno, theoretically you could go eating for hours, but that would be wrong.  🙂

As an earlier poster said, reservations can be changed or added once on the ship.  There is a reservation desk in the lobby.  Generally open pretty early in the morning.  I hassle them while I'm having coffee.

Enjoy your cruise.

As others have said, the drink package covers alcoholic drinks up to $15. It also covers soda from the soda guns at the bars, but not soda in cans, bottled water, or specialty coffees.

On the Escape, you can use your specialty dining credit in Le Bistro, Cagney's, Teppenyaki, La Cucina, and Moderno at no additional cost. You can also use them at Bayamo or Pincho Tappas Bar, but both will be a small up-charge on top of using one of your specialty dining credits. There are two other specialty restaurants on the Escape where you can't use your specialty dining credits at all. Margaritaville has $14 per person "cover charge" and then you get one appetizer, one entree, and one dessert. Food Republic is strictly a la carte.

For entertainment ... Must see Justin Golan's shows. He is SO talented, funny and involves the audience.  I haven't laughed that hard in ages.   He also has a show in NY in December, 2018. 

Patrick Duffy & Justin Golan’s Piano Bar Show
Presented By The Duplex
Saturday, December 22nd at 7:00pm EST
Online sale ends: 12/22/18 at 5:30pm EST
The Duplex Cabaret Theatre
61 Christopher Street (at the Corner of 7th Avenue)
New York, NY 10014
Patrick Duffy and Justin Golan presents: NYC Piano Bar Showdown!  Come join us for a night of classic singalongs, but stay for the laughs!  This duelling piano show is the perfect gift for your friends, family or mistress. 
Justin Golan the beatbox/piano man

Justin is a professional Piano Bar Entertainer and Beatboxer from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He has worked for several major cruise lines  as a Pianist, Piano Bar Entertainer and Music Director. With over 15 years experience as a vocal percussionist (beatboxer), Justin pushes the boundaries of the human voice and captivates audiences with his abilities. As a Piano Bar Entertainer, Justin puts on a high energy show with improvisational roasts and toasts, spontaneous beatboxing, and sing alongs!

on the Escape we went to Teppanyaki, Cagneys, Cucina and Moderno.  All were really good, easily the best food I've had at sea. 

I'd say Teppanyaki and Cagney's reservations fill up the fastest.  I booked both of them for my upcoming Epic cruise as soon as we were allowed to do so, I think it was about 120 days from cruise date like mentioned above.  We have tables at those two on sea days, which is kind of "our thing".  I'm not sure if sea days are the most popular dates for specialty restaurants but maybe?

On 11/6/2018 at 11:02 PM, CruiseGal999 said:

For entertainment ... Must see Justin Golan's shows. He is SO talented, funny and involves the audience.  I haven't laughed that hard in ages.   He also has a show in NY in December, 2018. 

We just off the Gem with Justin. He was fantastic. So funny!!!! 

On 11/6/2018 at 11:02 PM, CruiseGal999 said:

Patrick Duffy & Justin Golan’s Piano Bar Show
Presented By The Duplex
Saturday, December 22nd at 7:00pm EST
Online sale ends: 12/22/18 at 5:30pm EST
The Duplex Cabaret Theatre
61 Christopher Street (at the Corner of 7th Avenue)
New York, NY 10014
Patrick Duffy and Justin Golan presents: NYC Piano Bar Showdown!  Come join us for a night of classic singalongs, but stay for the laughs!  This duelling piano show is the perfect gift for your friends, family or mistress. 
Justin Golan the beatbox/piano man

Justin is a professional Piano Bar Entertainer and Beatboxer from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He has worked for several major cruise lines  as a Pianist, Piano Bar Entertainer and Music Director. With over 15 years experience as a vocal percussionist (beatboxer), Justin pushes the boundaries of the human voice and captivates audiences with his abilities. As a Piano Bar Entertainer, Justin puts on a high energy show with improvisational roasts and toasts, spontaneous beatboxing, and sing alongs!

This sounds awesome! Just the type of show my group would love. Thank you!

13 minutes ago, LouieT said:

This sounds awesome! Just the type of show my group would love. Thank you!

Just to be clear ... that show description is the Dec. 22nd show in NYC ... at Duplex Theater.  I am REALLY looking forward to this show.  But having seen Justin ... oh, ... TONS of times on the Gem from 09/08th - 09/27th ... I know it's money well spent.  

5 minutes ago, CruiseGal999 said:

Just to be clear ... that show description is the Dec. 22nd show in NYC ... at Duplex Theater.  I am REALLY looking forward to this show.  But having seen Justin ... oh, ... TONS of times on the Gem from 09/08th - 09/27th ... I know it's money well spent.  

Thanks for clarifying! Nice to hear a good review about the show. I'd never heard of him/them before. But glad I know about them now, thanks!

On 11/6/2018 at 1:06 PM, CherylCT said:

Vibe passes are sold first come first serve. Around 80 passes for the 4500 passengers on the ship. You have to show up hours early and be one of the very first people on the ship (after the priority boarders).