Former HAL Nieuw Amsterdam sold for scrap

Copper10-8

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Maybe neither, if the scrap owner brings his own crew.  Would only be a skeleton of deck and engine crew anyway, just enough to meet the minimum manning requirements, probably 30-35 total.

She's currently in Piraeus; I'm thinking Suez Canal, Red Sea, Gulf of Aden, Indian Ocean and on to Alang on the west coast of India, where they will beach her and start the dismantling process

Image result for map Alang, India

Related image

Edited by Copper10-8

13 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

I have seen many pictures of once great ships hauled up at Alang. What a depressing sight. The Google Earth pictures are fascinating though. It must be a huge place.

There is no real "facility" at Alang.  There are merely some shacks and decrepit warehouses, and each shack is the headquarters of a different scrapping company.  They literally run the ship onto the beach in front of the scrapper's shack, and start cutting it to pieces.  The pieces are hauled off the beach, and then picked up by trucks and taken to steel smelters, so there is no storage on site (because one scrapper would steal steel from another if left laying around).  There is a shanty town where the workers live, with the barest of facilities for survival.

50 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

There is no real "facility" at Alang.  There are merely some shacks and decrepit warehouses, and each shack is the headquarters of a different scrapping company.  They literally run the ship onto the beach in front of the scrapper's shack, and start cutting it to pieces.  The pieces are hauled off the beach, and then picked up by trucks and taken to steel smelters, so there is no storage on site (because one scrapper would steal steel from another if left laying around).  There is a shanty town where the workers live, with the barest of facilities for survival.

I believe it. Even on satellite it looks harsh and the waters look poisonous. About 6 miles of ship corpses. I can't imagine the working conditions. 

10 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

I believe it. Even on satellite it looks harsh and the waters look poisonous. About 6 miles of ship corpses. I can't imagine the working conditions. 

Alang is not your typical "day at the beach"

Related image

Related image

Related image

Related image

Image result for Alang, India shipbreakers

• 1 month later...

Thanks Copper for report on Marella Spirit.

I was on Sapphire Princess on 5th November at Pireus & close across from us on the breakwater berth was Marella Spirit.

She was looking quite smart but with no activity onboard. Funnel was just the pale blue colour of the company without the motif.

When we arrived back the vessels name had been changed to Mare S & then I realised she was probably going for scrap.

Looks like the changed the name again & reflagged her to Palau.

• Like 1