Bringing wine on board

lilybug

23 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

https://www.amazon.com/Jetsetter-TSA-Compliant-Corkscrew-True/dp/B00HZLA2PA

Kept in our carry on baggage many times with no problems.

Thanks for sharing. I didn't realize there was a TSA complaint corkscrew. Very similar to the one I have stashed in our travel first aid kit. Ours has the knife style foil cutter unlike the one you posted that doesn't have one. No biggie, the corkscrew can be used in place of the foil cutter. 

10 minutes ago, cruising cockroach said:

Or better yet, go with bottles closed with twist tops.  Use of such has no bearing on quality of wine.  Regions like the Clare Valley (premium white wine region) in South Australia went en mass to twist tops so the market couldn't protest.

Agree. Not like in the 60's drinking Ripple, Boones Farm, Annie Greenspring's and Cold Duck.  We don't even bring wine onboard anymore. We get the elite drinks plus we always have the BP. The corkscrew is always in the first aid kit for just in case.  

Edited by davekathy

38 minutes ago, cruising cockroach said:

Or better yet, go with bottles closed with twist tops.  Use of such has no bearing on quality of wine.  Regions like the Clare Valley (premium white wine region) in South Australia went en mass to twist tops so the market couldn't protest.

I believe Henschke's Hill of Grace has gone Twist Top at a mere $825 a bottle.  It's not just the whites anymore.

It's some markets - namely the U.S. where anything but usage of actual tree bark corks is perceived as inferior, and others bound by tradition such as France (AOC wines anyway) - where corks are still used.

I was looking for HoG (Barossa valley?) in South Australia in the late '90s for a friend who wanted a case of '96 vintage (his daughter' birth year and name) but I couldn't find any.  It certainly didn't cost anywhere near that much either!

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Thanks for sharing. I didn't realize there was a TSA complaint corkscrew. Very similar to the one I have stashed in our travel first aid kit. Ours has the knife style foil cutter unlike the one you posted that doesn't have one. No biggie, the corkscrew can be used in place of the foil cutter. 

I believe it is that the lack of the little knife is what makes this one TSA compliant.  I don't get that logic either. 

Heck, when we visited South Africa, their version of TSA took the corkscrew but allowed me to take two bottles of wine ON THE PLANE.  No, I'm NOT kidding.  Talk about senseless security.

Edited by jkgourmet

1 minute ago, jkgourmet said:

I believe it is that the lack of the little knife is what makes this one TSA compliant.  Don't get on me that it makes no sense.

Heck, when we visited South Africa, their TSA took the corkscrew but allowed me to take two bottles of wine ON THE PLANE.  No, I'm NOT kidding.  Talk about senseless security.

You can fly within Australia with up to 5 litres in your hand luggage.   But try and get that under the weight limit :) 

8 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

...  Our friends boarded in Civitavechhiaa, where the ground personnel were checking for the allowed two bottles of wine per person, ....

Small typo, but some inexperienced reader may not know that

Happy cruising.

I'm not the OP, but I do have a question.  We're flying into Miami Thursday to board the Equinox on Saturday.  Since we're flying in, I'm not bringing wine from home so will have to purchase it at some point. 

I was thinking about bringing Prosecco on board this time.  Do the refrigerators in the rooms get cold enough to well chill sparkling wine?  I've not yet sailed on Celebrity before, just Royal, and those fridges were more like coolers.  Actually great for white wine, but definitely not cold enough for sparkling.

13 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

I'm not the OP, but I do have a question.  We're flying into Miami Thursday to board the Equinox on Saturday.  Since we're flying in, I'm not bringing wine from home so will have to purchase it at some point. 

I was thinking about bringing Prosecco on board this time.  Do the refrigerators in the rooms get cold enough to well chill sparkling wine?  I've not yet sailed on Celebrity before, just Royal, and those fridges were more like coolers.  Actually great for white wine, but definitely not cold enough for sparkling.

No. Same as RC. More like coolers. Ask your stateroom attendant for a bucket of ice to chill your sparkling wine. 

Edited by davekathy