Epic - sunbathing on the bow

podgeandrodge

12 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

That area is crew access only.

How is crew defined? I presume its not just any staff or there'd be more out there.. Surprised, (not in any way complaining) that they are allowed stretch out there in front of the ordinary riff raff passengers! 

That as stated is the crews only " outside area" for them to use during their time off. I believe there are several times the ship does allow regular passengers to go out there. When you are doing a panama canal cruise for example and entering the locks, or possibly an Alaska cruise (but not sure on the Alaska cruise) . Anybody that is assigned to the ship for a contract period is not allowed to eat, drink, lay out, or hang out in any of the ships passenger areas , The exception to this are the musicians, entertainers and comedians who can freely roam both crew areas and passenger areas but sleep in the crew area at night.. The behind the scenes tour is a great experience as you get see not only the ships main kitchens , laundry, engine control room,backstage and dressing rooms, but all the crew areas , sleeping arrangements, as well as their galley and bar area. Usually done on a sea day and lasts several hours, generally you get some type of memento for taking the tour. We have a picture of the tour group taken out on the bow in a frame  they had dropped off to our room , have received snack plates from the head chef dropped in room thanking us for touring his galley, Baseball caps with the tours logo , backpacks with tours logo etc. 

1 hour ago, podgeandrodge said:

How is crew defined? I presume its not just any staff or there'd be more out there.. Surprised, (not in any way complaining) that they are allowed stretch out there in front of the ordinary riff raff passengers! 

Crew = people who work on the ship. Small ships have a small pool. Large ships have a crew bar under the bow deck (the deck area can cool and windy). 

1 hour ago, podgeandrodge said:

On all my Epic trips the only people I ever noticed out there were the entertainers.   Let's face it all the rest of the crew work too much to hang out there.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

Really? I never would have guessed! My question was in terms of how crew was defined in terms of access to the bow. 

25 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I believe all crew.

However, most of the crew you see prefer to sleep on their downtime versus getting some sun.

Yep, open to all NCL employees and concessionaire employees.  Very few care to waste time sunning themselves.  Most crew work days, so the ability to get out and get some sun doesn't happen.