Horizon trip review

landsear

4 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

The BBQ is free at lunchtime on embarkation and sea days just like the other ships in the fleet that have it.  The dinner options at the Pig & Anchor are different food options that what is available at lunchtime, is what costs extra.  Here is a link for you.  https://cruiseradio.net/guy-fieri-bbq-menu-detailed-carnival-horizon/

The best place for optional dinners are Jiji's and Cucina del Capitano, which are both 15.00.  I had a tomahawk pork chop at Cucina that was fantastic.  The 15.00 got you an app, entree, and dessert per person and a side dish and pasta entree to share.  Here's a link.  http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/ch_cucina.pdf

Great!  Thank you for the information!

Thank you for the review.  I am sailing in a Havana Cabana in May and so excited to hear about cruising from Miami on the same 6 day itinerary.  If you have any of the fun times please share.  Also, what did you do in the ports?

On 11/26/2018 at 12:08 AM, SNJCruisers said:

Depending upon your protein choice, it now runs between 25-30 pp, consisting of soup or salad, app, entree, and dessert.  When the menu was originally announced, it included both soup and salad the price range was 17-20.  Filet mignon or filet combo with lobster tail went from 20 to 30, which thus goes from 40 to 60 per couple.  The pricing is comparable to a land based place, so after the price increase, I cancelled our reservation that we had last August.  For the 30, you could go to both Jiji's and Cucina and enjoy two dinners for the price of the one at teppanyaki.

Just wanted to clarify, Teppanyaki includes both soup and salad, as well as 2 other appetizers - asparagus wrapped in pork belly, and a seared tuna appetizer, your main entree (veggies, your protein and fried rice), and dessert (which is actually 6 different small desserts). They were more than happy to provide extra rice and veggies as well. 😳 Just ate there on Horizon a few days ago, and the amount of food included was staggering! And delicious!

Unlike Cucina del Capitano, Jiji's and the Steakhouse, which are a value buy compared to comparable land based places, the Teppanyaki is about the same or even more than what you would pay at a similar place at home.  Unless you live in an extreme rural area that does not have a Teppanyaki venue, then I see no value in it.  It has value to me at 40.00 per couple for lobster and filet, but not at 60.00. YMMV.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:43 PM, mexicobob said:

You have great intentions but the results are not what you hoped for.  The staff is not allowed to keep cash tips if the automatic gratuity has been removed.  The cash is put in a company pool that is shared.  If the automatic gratuity is not removed, your server, or whoever, is allowed to keep the cash.  It is first turned over to their supervisor and then returned to them when the supervisor determines that the automatic tip has not been removed.  Failure to turn in cash usually means immediate termination.  There are numerous threads on this subject.

That is completely FALSE... John Heald has addressed it several times.   No matter if Auto grats are left on or taken off...ALL cash tips stay with whomever received them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2018 at 7:41 AM, landsear said:

6 days. Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. 

landsear, thanks for the great review!

We're considering going on the Horizon the week before Thanksgiving, and since you did as well, I have a question. We love our kids, we cruise with our kids, but this time we're going to leave them at home. I'm wondering if the week you sailed, you felt like there were fewer kids than you'd typically see. We spend a lot of time near and in the pool on sea days; we enjoy watching the movies, concerts, sports on the big screen; I know you probably spent your time at the Havana pool, but if you spent any time at all at the Beach pool, was it too loud and crazy to be able to hear the audio from the Dive-in movie screen that week?

On 11/19/2018 at 12:42 PM, CruisinPedsNurse said:

I was also on this cruise. 

If it helps at all, we only went to the MDR 3/6 nights due to the menu just being well blah. We went on lobster night (of course), filet night, and we went on another night where I still think I ended up with the flat iron.  We even skipped Baked Alaska night which is my FAVORITE DESERT in the whole world because there was literally nothing we wanted to eat on the menu. 

I do however think it is Horizon specific, because I’ve sailed on the Pride since they switched to the American Table and remember the selection being more appealing. And mind you we are not foodies or picky eaters. We have no problem finding food on the ship to eat. 

Sure seems like you did.....  Other then the port specific menu portion, you do realize the menus are the same across the fleet....right?

On 11/19/2018 at 9:50 PM, gamecockinnc said:

Because it’s something I like to do. Just as I start my cruise by giving my cabin steward a tip. Maybe it’s nostalgia and it takes me back to cruising with my parents and my father always seeking out the staff to personally thank them and tip them. Remember that is how tips used to be paid?  I have no reason to lie. Why the heck would I post if that were the case. My goodness. I am a Platinum cruiser and this is the way I prefer to tip. To each their own. I don’t do it every time but I always have a good bit of cash left and prefer the personal element to it. And I can add extra to it. Just as you can get an envelope from guest services and leave a little extra too while still leaving the usual amount on your credit card. I consider myself very friendly with my stewards too. Always taking the time to speak to them and thank them. And making sure we leave our cabin(s) as clean as possible.  I also pay off my bill before disembarking. I am one of those people who likes to pay for things in cash. Is that a problem too? Not to be negative of course. 🙄

He is not being negative, just stating facts on what the VAST majority of people do who remove grats.  It also has nothing to do with your status, I have seen Plats and Diamonds doing the very same thing.  While you may make the staff whole (I assume you leave the portion that goes to other staff intact), the rest are in fact almost entirely cheapskates who come up with a myriad of rationale and made up scenarios to pull the tips.  We often have reason to be at GS the last night to address some items for some people with special needs that travel in our groups.  To hear the reasons given by the people pulling tips can make your head spin, it is reaching proportions where the cruise line may have to address in some way (probably by making people do it in writing AFTER the cruise).    

Havana bar clarification.  I read if your in Havana Cabin class only those passengers have access to the outdoor Havana bar during daytime hours. Your telling people anyone can go through the doors to the outside.  Other posts say they are very strict and only people with bracelets are allowed access. There is an inside Havana bar anyone can use. Am I wrong?

45 minutes ago, Devo1459 said:

Havana bar clarification.  I read if your in Havana Cabin class only those passengers have access to the outdoor Havana bar during daytime hours. Your telling people anyone can go through the doors to the outside.  Other posts say they are very strict and only people with bracelets are allowed access. There is an inside Havana bar anyone can use. Am I wrong?

DW and I stayed in a Havana Cabana recently on the Vista. Access was restricted only to the outside. The bars in the Havana area had an outside and an inside with the same crew working both sides. I saw only a few people on the inside during the afternoon. Evenings are open to all on the outside.