Considering Escape for Baltic Cruise in 2020 - questions...

RSLeesburg

Hi all.  I wanted to ask some questions about NCL Escape.  I was searching for Northern Europe cruises for 2020 and saw the Escape 9-night Baltics itinerary, and really liked it.  We have only sailed with RCI so far, and were waiting to see their 2020 itineraries (they have had a 14-day itinerary out of Southampton that I would like to price out).  But in the meantime, I wanted to understand NCL a bit better.  

We normally sail in GS on RCI, so would book into Haven - but, honestly, there are so many choices.  We are just two adults and our son (9).  I liked the layout of the Aft-facing Penthouse, but the Deluxe Spa Suite looks nice too.  Which would be best for us.  Any advice/recommendations?  

Also, when I do a mock booking, it asks me to add two perks - unlimited beverage or specialty, but it looks like I can pick both.  We don't drink at all, so do I need to pick the unlimited beverage package or just leave it blank?  

Finally, what is the deposit and is it refundable?  I would really like to price out the 14-day itinerary, as 9 may be too short for us, but would like to try to lock in a good price while it is available.  I am not sure about NCL, but on RCI, the suites just go up and up the closer you get to the sailing date...lol

PS:  Has anyone taken the 9-day itinerary?  I saw that Getaway is sailing this one now.  Thanks.

The mock booking should tell you your deposit amount. Click on cruise summary. Can’t you pick WiFi or shore excursion credits instead of the drink package to go with specialty dining? Deposits on NCL are way lower than RCCL. Like a hundred bucks or two many times compared to the ridiculous $1800 RCCL charges. 

1 minute ago, tallnthensome said:

The mock booking should tell you your deposit amount. Click on cruise summary. Can’t you pick WiFi or shore excursion credits instead of the drink package to go with specialty dining? Deposits on NCL are way lower than RCCL. Like a hundred bucks or two many times compared to the ridiculous $1800 RCCL charges. 

Yes.  I just found the deposit - I had not submitted the mock booking form ;o)  I was looking at the options and suite categories, so never went that final step.  I just found the deposit!   

The WiFi and shore excursion options are automatically picked.  We love specialty restaurants, so would prefer to double-down on those rather than drinks package...lol   Maybe when I am ready to book, I will just call NCL and do it over the phone.   

We sailed the 9 day Baltics on Norwegian aboard the "Star" 3 summers ago.  We received ultimate dining package and drink package as part of the booking offered by Norwegian.  Did pre and post stay in Copenhagen.  Did package tour at all stops with T.J. Tours with small group.  Saved a bundle over what ship board tours charge.   You will be amazed with the 2 days in St. Petersburg at what you will see and experience!  Also enjoyed Berlin, Stockholm, Helsinki and Tallinn. Sailed in mid-to late August, can be chilly in that region of the world.   Was cold on embarkation day in Copenhagen and visit to Helsinki.  A once in a lifetime trip to that region of the world! 

In the Haven, you get all four Free At Sea perks if you want them. However, the Ultimate Beverage Package and Specialty Dining have additional service charges that apply to them. That is why you have to manually select them or not. In your case, definitely don't choose the Ultimate Beverage Package, since you don't drink. Otherwise you will be paying and extra $20 per adult per day for the service charges.

Edited by JamieLogical

54 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

In the Haven, you get all four Free At Sea perks if you want them. However, the Ultimate Beverage Package and Specialty Dining have additional service charges that apply to them. That is why you have to manually select them or not. In your case, definitely don't choose the Ultimate Beverage Package, since you don't drink. Otherwise you will be paying and extra $20 per adult per day for the service charges.

Thanks.  That is good information to know!  

1 hour ago, nj cruisin said:

We sailed the 9 day Baltics on Norwegian aboard the "Star" 3 summers ago.  We received ultimate dining package and drink package as part of the booking offered by Norwegian.  Did pre and post stay in Copenhagen.  Did package tour at all stops with T.J. Tours with small group.  Saved a bundle over what ship board tours charge.   You will be amazed with the 2 days in St. Petersburg at what you will see and experience!  Also enjoyed Berlin, Stockholm, Helsinki and Tallinn. Sailed in mid-to late August, can be chilly in that region of the world.   Was cold on embarkation day in Copenhagen and visit to Helsinki.  A once in a lifetime trip to that region of the world! 

Wow.  I would not expect it to be cold in late August.   Good information to know.   Thanks. 

Aft facing Haven among the ones you listed.  We were just on Escape in June in Haven and it was a great time although the prices have gotten out of hand.  We've done the Baltics back when it was a 12 day out of Dover - the extra days were sea days so you got to get some R&R on an already port intensive trip.  The Baltics are fabulous and I'd highly encourage you to go to Berlin if you hadn't planned on going.  There are numerous private tour groups for Russia and the other countries that do some bundle pricing.