Oceania Missing Ports Issue, Not Cruise Specific

ABoatNerd

Posting this topic so CC Oceania guests can comment - agree, disagree or no comment.

Since September, there are a number of threads and many cruise reviews about Oceania missing ports. 

Take a read.

Regatta - My cruise - Oct 8-26 Panama (9 negative reviews) - 3 missed ports, 1 port swap, 1 port arrival 2 hrs before dark. The number of reviews (9) are far more than typical on CC cruise reviews

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=287

Riveria (Right Now TA) - 2 missed ports - On Board Guest reporting dissatisfaction due to missed ports on the Regatta 2 missed ports current thread

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=607

Insignia - October Fall Splendors Canada and New England - 5 missed ports

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=638871

The comments by reviewers are consistent in their messaging:

* No explanation for missed ports, other than we are missing ports

* Captain hiding from guests (on my Regatta cruise, 2 groups of guests forced meetings with the captain after multiple guests were forced to meet with GM and other managers and forced to sign paperwork saying they would not speak to other guests. If they did not sign, there would be consequences)

* No return of port fees when other cruise lines reimburse

* Ship management arrogant and dismissive of guest concerns

In reading other cruise line reviews, there seems to be less postings on missing ports despite the mass cruise lines having more ships and therefore, technically, more probability of missed ports.

I am the starter of the current thread on CC Oceania site called Regatta 2 missed ports. Once home, research indicates that the ship I was on Regatta has mechanical issues known by Oceania for quite some time. Further, there seems to be a trend of Oceania cancelling ports well in advance of supposed/actual weather issues and then making no effort to substitute ports for the benefit of the customer.  Yes, ports can be cancelled. But the service provider is obligated to explain why a port is cancelled and tell guests why another port can not be substituted.  Oceania is no different than any other product/service provider who when they have to cancel - are required to explain why to the consumer. This is called customer service.

I cruised with Celebrity for 23 years and had 1 cancelled port where they reimbursed my port fees. I have had 3 cruises on Oceania and every cruise had cancelled ports (total of 5 cancelled ports over 3 cruises). Only 1 cancelled port was a tender which given the wave height was understandable. All other circumstances was not acceptable and there was no explanation given by Oceania and no reimbursement of port fees. Not acceptable Oceania.

I paid for my cruise and I expect my service provider to explain to me why my ports were cancelled and why alternative product (ports) could not be provided.

After 40 years of working in marketing, I am not what marketing people call an "obedient and docile consumer". There are many of those.

• Thanks 1

omg

How many threads  do you need to tell people you  are not happy about missing ports on Oceania ?

if not happy with Oceania  or any other cruise line   just  spend your $$ elsewhere

adding  to my ignore list

• Like 2

Just now, LHT28 said:

omg

How many threads  do you need to tell people you  are not happy about missing ports on Oceania ?

if not happy with Oceania  or any other cruise line   just  spend your $$ elsewhere

you are  starting to sound  like an old fishwife

Move on

Sounds like ABoatNerd won't be cruising with Oceania anymore.

In any case, and trying to be fair-minded, as I look more carefully at some of the negative comments and things like the "crew-center" link in an earlier post, a few observations come to mind.

Firstly, just because someone served in a "navy" (even a great one like the US) doesn't mean they know squat about the navigational, engineering or commercial and liability challenges of a cruise ship. At a minimum, remember that the needs and tolerances of a shipful of geezers on a floating hotel require far more considerations than a crew on a war ship. As a sailor, I learned long ago that what weather I find rocking me to sleep can be a "white knuckle" nightmare for the uninitiated.

And there's little Oceania (or any other cruise line) can do about political upheaval (Nicaragua) or military (naval) exercises other than steer clear of them.

As for the suggestion by another disgruntled poster that Sirena needs a "major overhaul": I've been on the ship since the beginning of this month and I can attest that such a statement by a previous poster is quite an exaggeration.  After all, Oceania did spend $40 million on its conversion of the Ocean Princess to become Sirena in Spring 2016. Plus, it will have additional upgrades in the not-too-distant future.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion and folks unhappy with their O experience, may want to jump ship. With desirable (and, sometimes, all) cabins on newly announced Oceania itineraries selling out quickly, it's not like they're hurting for clientele. That said, however, I have to add that I have found Oceania management to be extremely receptive to realistic concerns we've brought to their attention from time to time.

1 hour ago, ABoatNerd said:

I paid for my cruise and I expect my service provider to explain to me why my ports were cancelled and why alternative product (ports) could not be provided.

After 40 years of working in marketing, I am not what marketing people call an "obedient and docile consumer". There are many of those.

You may want to alert that marketing team of yours  that your contract with the cruise line is for Cruising on the ship for a specific number of days, not for transportation to specific, or substituted Ports. 

In the passage contract, you agree to that concept 45 ways to Sunday  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

Posting this topic so CC Oceania guests can comment - agree, disagree or no comment.

Since September, there are a number of threads and many cruise reviews about Oceania missing ports. 

Take a read.

Regatta - My cruise - Oct 8-26 Panama (9 negative reviews) - 3 missed ports, 1 port swap, 1 port arrival 2 hrs before dark. The number of reviews (9) are far more than typical on CC cruise reviews

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=287

Riveria (Right Now TA) - 2 missed ports - On Board Guest reporting dissatisfaction due to missed ports on the Regatta 2 missed ports current thread

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=607

Insignia - October Fall Splendors Canada and New England - 5 missed ports

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=638871

The comments by reviewers are consistent in their messaging:

* No explanation for missed ports, other than we are missing ports

* Captain hiding from guests (on my Regatta cruise, 2 groups of guests forced meetings with the captain after multiple guests were forced to meet with GM and other managers and forced to sign paperwork saying they would not speak to other guests. If they did not sign, there would be consequences)

* No return of port fees when other cruise lines reimburse

* Ship management arrogant and dismissive of guest concerns

In reading other cruise line reviews, there seems to be less postings on missing ports despite the mass cruise lines having more ships and therefore, technically, more probability of missed ports.

I am the starter of the current thread on CC Oceania site called Regatta 2 missed ports. Once home, research indicates that the ship I was on Regatta has mechanical issues known by Oceania for quite some time. Further, there seems to be a trend of Oceania cancelling ports well in advance of supposed/actual weather issues and then making no effort to substitute ports for the benefit of the customer.  Yes, ports can be cancelled. But the service provider is obligated to explain why a port is cancelled and tell guests why another port can not be substituted.  Oceania is no different than any other product/service provider who when they have to cancel - are required to explain why to the consumer. This is called customer service.

I cruised with Celebrity for 23 years and had 1 cancelled port where they reimbursed my port fees. I have had 3 cruises on Oceania and every cruise had cancelled ports (total of 5 cancelled ports over 3 cruises). Only 1 cancelled port was a tender which given the wave height was understandable. All other circumstances was not acceptable and there was no explanation given by Oceania and no reimbursement of port fees. Not acceptable Oceania.

We can see your view and can understand perfectly what you are saying. Some people here seem to think that passengers on cruise ships "should be just seen and not heard", unless of course when they heap praise on the cruise lines which can do "nothing wrong". Fortunately, you are not one of them!

Of course, one has to be fair and reasonable, and realise that no cruise line is perfect, but  there are  some (cruise lines) which are more imperfect than others, at least some of their ships are!!!

Keep up the good work , @ABoatNerd

and thanks for keeping us posted with all these information.  That would help us choose and decide what cruise ship(s) to sail with, and which ones to avoid for future cruises.

Edited by Gnoelj

2 hours ago, Gnoelj said:

@ABoatNerd

and thanks for keeping us posted with all these information.  That would help us choose and decide what cruise ship(s) to sail with, and which ones to avoid for future cruises.

If you were going to base your next  cruise on  these posts  would it not be more helpful  if ALL  cruise ships  were listed 

not just a  few from 1 line ??

30 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

If you were going to base your next  cruise on  these posts  would it not be more helpful  if ALL  cruise ships  were listed 

not just a  few from 1 line ??

You have to realise this particular thread is for Oceania, not for ALL cruise ships. So why list all the cruise ships here?

Readers like us who wish to find out more about how the other lines fare, we will know how to go to the respective threads of all the other cruise lines on CruiseCritic.  You cannot assume that all we read on in the discussion board  is on Oceania alone, can you? We would think it reasonable to assume most people doing cruise research  would go further than just hanging around the Oceania threads and not venture anywhere further.

You might gather that while we have sailed several times with Oceania, we select our cruise lines and cruise ships based on what suits us, and not what suits Oceania - or any cruise line for that matter. We do not owe Oceania a living - they have to work to earn that. We feel no cruise line should take their customers for granted, and we hope Oceania doesn't do that.

Edited by Gnoelj

2 minutes ago, Gnoelj said:

You have to realise this particular thread is for Oceania, not for ALL cruise ships.

Readers like us who wish to find out more about how the other lines fare, we will know how to go to their respective threads. 

not sure I understand your reasoning  but  if it works for you :classic_rolleyes:

How  does it help  choose  the  ship  when weather issues  can happen  with any of them ??

Stop saying that no reason was given for the missed ports. As previously reported I was on Insignia Fall Splendors and each port there was a reason mostly having to do with the weather. It was broadcast thru out the ship, sometimes thru out the day and repeated by both the captain and the cruise director. It was a very rough sailing. You have an axe to grind and you don't mind lying about it. Shut up already.

I and my friends who were on the disappointing Regatta sailing have shared the research provided by ABoatNerd with our numerous travel agents.  Our discussions with the travel agents have not shined a positive light on Oceania. It was interesting to note that some of the travel agents were already getting feed back from other Oceania cruiser clients about the decline in the food offerings and quality.

Also, all of us have agreed that we will undertake more research before we book a cruise and go to more sources for information. Our brand loyalty to Oceania is dead.

The research ABoatNerd has provided is excellent and most appreciative and frankly should be happening more, particularly in an industry that is raising fares and reducing quality. 

Weather was a factor in the screw up of this cruise, but not much of a factor.  It was the failure of Oceania to work hard to provide alternative ports, their failure to communicate comprehensively to guests on options, and the harassment and threats to guests, decline in food quality amongst many things, that lost them our collective business.  

There are many guests who remain in communication with Oceania and NCL as all, all our travel agents have made formal complaints including retention of our port fees, harassment etc. 

19 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

including retention of our port fees, harassment etc. 

I will just  comment  that  port fees  have not been returned  for  many years  now .. since the  all in pricing was introduced

I think it  was a Government  thing  but I am sure  someone could  look it up  since  some are  so good  at getting  the  "facts"

36 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

I and my friends who were on the disappointing Regatta sailing have shared the research provided by ABoatNerd with our numerous travel agents.  Our discussions with the travel agents have not shined a positive light on Oceania. It was interesting to note that some of the travel agents were already getting feed back from other Oceania cruiser clients about the decline in the food offerings and quality.

Also, all of us have agreed that we will undertake more research before we book a cruise and go to more sources for information. Our brand loyalty to Oceania is dead.

The research ABoatNerd has provided is excellent and most appreciative and frankly should be happening more, particularly in an industry that is raising fares and reducing quality. 

Weather was a factor in the screw up of this cruise, but not much of a factor.  It was the failure of Oceania to work hard to provide alternative ports, their failure to communicate comprehensively to guests on options, and the harassment and threats to guests, decline in food quality amongst many things, that lost them our collective business.  

There are many guests who remain in communication with Oceania and NCL as all, all our travel agents have made formal complaints including retention of our port fees, harassment etc. 

14 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I will just  comment  that  port fees  have not been returned  for  many years  now .. since the  all in pricing was introduced

I think it  was a Government  thing  but I am sure  someone could  look it up  since  some are  so good  at getting  the  "facts"

Regarding port fees, I think you are right about the inclusive pricing. I am booked on several upcoming cruises and looked at my invoices. Seabourn separates port fees and taxes, and I have received credits for missed ports with Seabourn, but not Regent, or Oceania.

On 11/21/2018 at 2:04 PM, LHT28 said:

omg

adding  to my ignore list

Do you need to be rude and inform everyone that you are ignoring someone?

Perhaps you might find other activities to fill your time. You seem to live on CC.

My 2 cents’ worth on this topic.

I doubt the theory of Oceania skipping ports just to save money. On a recently completed Med cruise on Marina we had to change 3 ports due to winds/storm caused road damage in these ports. All 3 affected ports were substituted for other ports rather than being turned into “sea days”.

Most cruise lines show port fees as a separate item and by law are required to give refunds when a port is missed.  Many will also add or subtract a small amount if the fee is different at the time the ship arrives than the estimated cost when the cruise was first offered for sale.  Oceania gets around the refund due to a loophole in the regulation due to the price being included in the fare offered to guest.  When an agent gets an invoice, the port fees are listed as a separate line item and commission is not paid on that part.   To me it is morally wrong but legally within their rights to keep the money.

In the end O is saving money on fuel and getting the port fees while losing money on excursions.

While all cruise lines have contracts that allow for any changes, guest have to decide with their wallets if they feel they were lied to, were purposely kept in the dark or any other service failures in the mind of the guest whether real or imagined.  

11 minutes ago, Waynetor said:

Most cruise lines show port fees as a separate item and by law are required to give refunds when a port is missed.  Many will also add or subtract a small amount if the fee is different at the time the ship arrives than the estimated cost when the cruise was first offered for sale.  Oceania gets around the refund due to a loophole in the regulation due to the price being included in the fare offered to guest.  When an agent gets an invoice, the port fees are listed as a separate line item and commission is not paid on that part.   To me it is morally wrong but legally within their rights to keep the money.

In the end O is saving money on fuel and getting the port fees while losing money on excursions.

While all cruise lines have contracts that allow for any changes, guest have to decide with their wallets if they feel they were lied to, were purposely kept in the dark or any other service failures in the mind of the guest whether real or imagined.  

Food for thought.  Very good points.    Be nice if O would give us answers to these very good questions.