ABC islands beach question: musicians?

SoberJulie

While visiting Jamaica last year, one of the things we most loved about the beaches were the random local musicians that wandered up and down the beach to play for tips. 

Does this happen at any of the ABC islands or is it more of a Jamaican thing?

I have never seen it on any islands, but haven't been to Jamaica on a cruise.  I have seen it at many of the ports, where a band is set up on the pier playing. I suspect that wandering the beaches is a Jamaica thing.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

We gave been to the ABC islands many times and never saw any musicians walking up and down the beaches playing and wanting tips.

We have had musicians come to the pier to play for tips.

Thank you. I’ll save the guitar strings for the next time we go to Jamaica. They are a hot-ticket-tip item as they are difficult to acquire on many islands. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

We haven't seen any on ABC islands... Honestly, we have been to Jamaica several times already (different beaches), and have never seen any musicians on the beach there either.

Oh gosh, 7 mile beach and Bloody Bay in Negril are FULL of musicians. 

On an average day we’d see/hear at least 5. It was part of Jamaica’s charm for me. 

On 12/13/2018 at 4:47 PM, SoberJulie said:

On an average day we’d see/hear at least 5. It was part of Jamaica’s charm for me. 

But those are not ports of call for cruises and are also not typical day excursions from ships either, other than perhaps with itineraries stopping in Montego Bay. But even then that would be a good distance away. 

In the many times we've been to Jamaica on a cruise with ports of call in Ocho Rios, Falmouth, and Montego Bay, I also have to say we've never seen musicians as you mention either.   That may be more of a thing with the resorts there?

Edited by leaveitallbehind

On 12/13/2018 at 4:47 PM, SoberJulie said:

Yes, Negril can be a reggae delight.  But I haven't seen musicians on the beach at Montego Bay, and I've stayed there a week at a former Beaches hotel as well as visiting during port stops.  Same with Aruba along both Palm and Eagle beaches.

Curious about your CC name......Sober as in abstaining, judgment, and /or straight forward, staid?

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

Yes, Negril can be a reggae delight.  But I haven't seen musicians on the beach at Montego Bay, and I've stayed there a week at a former Beaches hotel as well as visiting during port stops.  Same with Aruba along both Palm and Eagle beaches.

Curious about your CC name......Sober as in abstaining, judgment, and /or straight forward, staid?

🙂

Sober as in: Drug and alcohol free, over a decade now. 

But yes...maybe a bit of all those things!