Explorer Lisbon to Cape Town Nov 28 until dragged kicking & screaming off

1982CruzStart

16 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Tomorrow we are in Banjul, The Gambia.

Our itinerary for tomorrow’s excursion includes the item: “Outdoor (bush) comfort stop”  :classic_ohmy:

Can’t wait ............…

Hehe, you might have to, Flossie!! :classic_ninja:

Somehow seeing those pictures of an island notorious from the horrific slave trade followed by the photos of excess on the ship, chocolate fountain, wine and cheese, whole roasted pig, just about turned me off from cruising.

But I think it's important to see such places, and if I were there, I would have done it, but come back very sobered, I'm sure.

Meanwhile, can we not "quote" entire reams of photos in replies, please?  You can edit the stuff you quote, btw.

• Like 1

Today was a bit of a ***** show. No one's fault just the joy of being in 3rd world countries.  We were late docking for some reason, didn't really hear why but no problem. That happens. 

Tours were probably an hour late leaving which meant that no one was getting back in time to eat lunch so that could be a problem if you needed to take medication or have issue with blood sugar or just need regular meals to feel well. 

The problem i really had was they packed the buses to an unsafe level.  The buses were fine in that we had air conditioning (sort of) but the problem from my perspective was they weren't safe in that if we were in any kind of accident that required we exit it quickly most of us couldn't have done it. They had jump seats all the way down the aisle. So if anything happened none of us in the back would ever have gotten out. Dramatic but i felt safer on a bus that had holes in the floor than i did on this one. Maybe it is because i feel somewhat claustrophic and am not comfortable being somewhere i don't think i can get out. All Regent needed to do was make sure of the buses they contracted and maybe added 1 more so everyone was safe. 

The actual information part of the tour was very interesting but we spent 4 to 4.5 hours wasting our time for 1 hour of useful touring. 

Guides were great ( we had 1 on the bus & 2 at the forest centre) but we suffered from once more being at the back and not being able to hear him. In part it was because we had a dancer on board and she talked through the entire ride meaning those of us behind her couldn't hear anything the guide said. I know some people don't care but i do. I go on tours to listen to what the guide has to say.  All the seats near the front were gone so we didn't have a choice. 

As always it is is interesting to see how others live so it is never a total waste of time.

Sorry i didn't take any pictures. 

10 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Today was a bit of a ***** show. No one's fault just the joy of being in 3rd world countries.  We were late docking for some reason, didn't really hear why but no problem. That happens. 

Tours were probably an hour late leaving which meant that no one was getting back in time to eat lunch so that could be a problem if you needed to take medication or have issue with blood sugar or just need regular meals to feel well. 

The problem i really had was they packed the buses to an unsafe level.  The buses were fine in that we had air conditioning (sort of) but the problem from my perspective was they weren't safe in that if we were in any kind of accident that required we exit it quickly most of us couldn't have done it. They had jump seats all the way down the aisle. So if anything happened none of us in the back would ever have gotten out. Dramatic but i felt safer on a bus that had holes in the floor than i did on this one. Maybe it is because i feel somewhat claustrophic and am not comfortable being somewhere i don't think i can get out. All Regent needed to do was make sure of the buses they contracted and maybe added 1 more so everyone was safe. 

The actual information part of the tour was very interesting but we spent 4 to 4.5 hours wasting our time for 1 hour of useful touring. 

Guides were great ( we had 1 on the bus & 2 at the forest centre) but we suffered from once more being at the back and not being able to hear him. In part it was because we had a dancer on board and she talked through the entire ride meaning those of us behind her couldn't hear anything the guide said. I know some people don't care but i do. I go on tours to listen to what the guide has to say.  All the seats near the front were gone so we didn't have a choice. 

As always it is is interesting to see how others live so it is never a total waste of time.

Sorry i didn't take any pictures. 

If that dancer was on the Entertainment Staff then you need to report this to DS.  This is unacceptable.  She spoilt the excursion for a paying passenger...

As far as the buses go - jump seats do make things dangerous but it might just be that Regent had ALL the buses in the area and there were no more.  In which case I think the excursions should have been limited to a number with a safe seating capacity.  Again - report this to DS.

Thanks to all for your comments and following along on our adventure. 

One thing i should have said in defense of the dancer was that she wouldn't have been talking if other passengers hadn't been talking to her. She is a young kid and they should have known better. Hopefully as time goes on she will learn that she should give way to the tour guide but then again some of  the seniors on our tour have never learned to be considerate of others so what chance does she have at 19. 

Last night was our first trip to Pacific Rim and because i had read so  much about the food we definitely overeat.  Damn it was an uncomfortable night trying to sleep with a overly full stomach.  

Pictures to follow. 

20181208_190638.thumb.jpg.c9c32555fffaf6188d87ec8b02e9ab66.jpg20181208_191803.thumb.jpg.91287b4d54d4ab035dbf6df00d8db1bc.jpg20181208_191811.thumb.jpg.4d2e1cfc47468d6fe73594b50466a1cd.jpgTuna tartar, beef takaki, lobster tempura, soft shell crab. The tuna and lobster were great. The beef and soft shell crab tasty. I did share the soft shell crab. In my defense I thought the portions would be similar to other dining areas but they were huge.  Will not make the same mistake again. 

This is the crab salad our dinner companion had and enjoyed. 

20181208_190647.thumb.jpg.7ac2ad1cc49066cfba1174fe835a3373.jpg

Thank you to all those following along this joint blog.

Internet in our suite has been very “spotty” over the last day so posts may be less frequent.

briar 14, Jan,

Good to hear from you. Yes, we are trying Navigator a couple of times next year as it has some excellent itineraries. Navigator is the one Regent ship on which we have yet to sail.

Fletcher, Hambagahle,

Thanks for your suggestions for Ghana.

Gilly,

Hope you are keeping well. In the event we did have to wait as the “bush” stop did not occur. Lots of crossed legs by the time we eventually reached a suitable comfort stop. More on yesterday’s adventures later.

Wendy,

Sorry the juxtaposition of my two posts was jarring. However, history is history and cannot be changed. It is just important that we (and our politicians & lawmakers) never forget the past.

More difficult for us on this cruise is the contrast between life on board Explorer and the basic “existence” of many of those in the countries we are visiting.

TC2,

Although interesting, I don’t think it matters who was involved in the slave trade or  to where the slaves were being sent.

Unfortunately slavery still exists albeit not on the industrial scale of previous centuries.

Regarding the organisation of  leaving the ship for excursions:

1. There are very few “walk offs” in the ports we are visiting. Most guests choose the organised tours. As there are limited tours in each port there are many guests scheduled at the same departure time.

2. Bus ticket numbers are also being checked before gangway security to avoid guests milling around dockside before their transport is available.

3. Despite yesterday’s delays (due to late docking and immigration formalities) most guests now seem to have “got the message” and are listening to, and complying with, the frequent, simple, clear announcements from the Destinations staff. Much less congestion in the aisles and theatre entrance & exit which was the main issue on previous days and a more orderly disembarkation from the ship by bus number.

A sea day today - perfect, warm weather and very calm seas.

14D20DB3-53D7-410A-A016-55B045E041A3.thumb.jpeg.2c46585b4eaf99a2c7656c36e0e2479f.jpeg

• Like 2

Yesterday we were docked in Banjul, Gambia and truly felt that we were “in Africa”.

The Gambia is a very small West African Republic entirely surrounded by Senegal apart from a narrow Atlantic coastline.

The Gambia gained independence from Britain in 1965 and became a Republic in 1970. A military coup occurred in 1994.

The country withdrew from the Commonwealth of Nations in 2013 but following a change in leadership it rejoined in February this year.

Nearly 50% of the population lives in poverty (70% in rural areas). There is a total lack of resources for education.

We docked in Banjul later than expected, apparently due to a container ship leaving the dock an hour later than planned.

Our 7 hour excursion was entitled “Adventure off the Beaten Track”.

The vehicles were old 4 wheel drive trucks (DAF, MAN & Bedford) kitted out for tourist use. A/C was of the natural variety.

5C13CBC7-D4BA-41DC-AF1F-13D5C2747AA8.thumb.jpeg.b7b9716231c53e47c2920be9a6a58a88.jpeg

C87F0910-AA58-4D89-90BA-55051CB745FE.thumb.jpeg.58465364357d80515500d31266da1125.jpeg

Each truck had a driver, guide and an unarmed security guard from the Gambian Tourist Police

5E520FE2-4A7B-4C57-865B-0F7FE5302FA2.thumb.jpeg.1d0d9f1ed0e5448fb27983039c9def0c.jpeg

We set off along the main road through Banjul and then left the paved road to continue our journey on dirt tracks through the bush.

2D63C8EF-349F-48FD-8DB7-42382242BEAA.thumb.jpeg.9f93d0a9af8dbcd9c87b91f063fd6c5f.jpeg

C9CE5A09-26E9-4D8D-B31F-5BF840CB729E.thumb.jpeg.6da4714776dd87ab977c66f939f5e591.jpeg

B8B95B50-249F-47B4-AD3C-98D09662CB5C.thumb.jpeg.e188a0d513369fd148a149a88784a985.jpeg

Not much wildlife to be seen but many menacing buzzards and numerous Weaver Bird nests hanging in the trees.

• Like 3

We visited a school and a home in a small rural community. 

Even though it was a Saturday the headmaster, his staff and many pupils turned out to greet us. 

The headmaster gave us an enlightening talk about the struggles that education faces in terms of finance, buildings, personnel, basic sanitation and all other resources.

E2729310-6148-4A96-A2F2-5D098C8BD4C8.thumb.jpeg.7f47a81c861ef88947720e79a8c8a603.jpeg

1846FCDD-0360-41F4-9E79-6566808A60F3.thumb.jpeg.4b02f949b47e2602e15a7816ce6eb5a6.jpeg

B83CE15B-DC79-4FD8-A64F-F23FCEF8E02D.thumb.jpeg.27077f9841a4571b8b797de0161e68f5.jpeg

A23D6A9B-824D-4E51-A6D3-3771841080AD.thumb.jpeg.d85272fe72598423bbea7d4cf5c1c265.jpeg

Laundry day:

D8D2997C-9819-4C42-B65C-579015C128A5.thumb.jpeg.b060d3664e5e1f922a40e7a23fcb1be8.jpeg

Having said our goodbyes, we reboarded the trucks and drove to the coast for a welcome comfort break and a pleasant lunch at a beach resort. Beer & soft drinks were included and a local band “entertained” us very loudly.

Time for a stroll along the magnificent sandy beach before reboarding the trucks for the last leg of our days outing.

E152E69F-44BE-4216-8C48-F3B888E9B411.thumb.jpeg.ed1d4799973e4ec776d021f7cdb2f058.jpeg

After a short stop at a museum demonstrating local handicrafts it was back to the ship where we were greeted by Regent staff with cold towels & drinks - very welcome.

FDA3E0F2-E70C-4452-995E-307DEB6C3119.thumb.jpeg.5e3a8a8c1532778eb043dc33a9df7521.jpeg

No time to dawdle over the handicrafts for sale on the pier or to enjoy the singers & dancers ................ as it was “all aboard”ready to sail off on the next leg of our journey.

B2540D78-E102-4C4D-9A19-85F370358A00.thumb.jpeg.b417b1bff8f34806d674562faf5c80b6.jpeg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

We visited a school and a home in a small rural community. 

Even though it was a Saturday the headmaster, his staff and many pupils turned out to greet us. 

The headmaster gave us an enlightening talk about the struggles that education faces in terms of finance, buildings, personnel, basic sanitation and all other resources.

No time to dawdle over the handicrafts for sale on the pier or to enjoy the singers & dancers ................ as it was “all aboard”ready to sail off on the next leg of our journey.

Thanks for those stunning pictures, and for reminding me of a similar trip to a school in Guatemala.  It makes me think that there are supplies one could bring along on a stop like this--pens and pencils, notebooks, etc. I visited many small villages in Laos a few years back and one of my travel mates had small, useful items to hand out to the children every time.  Made me think I would do that if I ever travelled to places like that again.

And your pic of the performers at the pier also reminded me of several memorable sailaways!

Last night we found a gem of a table in Compass Rose; at the back of the restaurant on the left hand side looking aft, it is a table for four which is positioned in an alcove.

The rear of Compass Rose on Explorer is much quieter and more intimate than the vast open area near the entrance but this table was even better than most others.

We were slightly worried that the sommeliers might overlook us but, no worries, one of our favourite bar servers, Cindy, kept us well topped up all evening.

We shared with an interesting couple from Southern California and had a very good meal after our long and bumpy day.

Entertainment last night was the Irish flautist, Jonathan Johnston, who played a variety of classical and popular tunes backed by the Regent Band.

Slept well and woke to another glorious day.

We learned that some tours did not go as well as ours yesterday. One bus broke down and the guests had to wait well over an hour until a replacement arrived (with no A/C as the bus engine had failed). Apparently the reaction of the driver and guide was to get out their prayer mats and start their devotions by the side of the road 🙄

Tonight we are dining in Pacific Rim and then another lazy day at sea tomorrow.

As Susan said the internet has been spotty. DH went down to the computer room and the IT manager said they had turned the internet off for a period of time today.  My tablet is working but not my phone so no pictures until i can get my phone to work once again. 

Has been a quiet day here on board for us. got some exercise and then did what i like to do best read on our balcony.  I did actually find the fitness room and a few other places i hadn't ventured to yet. I may have to visit the gym  tomorrow as it was pretty warm out even when i was up walking the deck between 8 and 9. We will see what tomorrow brings. 

We got our notices today regarding visas for Ghana and Togo. In hindsight should probably have arranged them while at home as they are much more expensive onboard plus in USD that adds another 30%.   After reviewing our tours we have decided to forgo getting the visas and just make those 2 sea days.  

If there had been anything i really wanted to do or see i would have just bit the bullet and paid for them but none of the tours had anything we were interested in. 

We are going to give Setti Mari another try tonight. 

Edited by 1982CruzStart

14 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

Last night we found a gem of a table in Compass Rose; at the back of the restaurant on the left hand side looking aft, it is a table for four which is positioned in an alcove.

The rear of Compass Rose on Explorer is much quieter and more intimate than the vast open area near the entrance but this table was even better than most others.

We were slightly worried that the sommeliers might overlook us but, no worries, one of our favourite bar servers, Cindy, kept us well topped up all evening.

We shared with an interesting couple from Southern California and had a very good meal after our long and bumpy day.

Entertainment last night was the Irish flautist, Jonathan Johnston, who played a variety of classical and popular tunes backed by the Regent Band.

Slept well and woke to another glorious day.

We learned that some tours did not go as well as ours yesterday. One bus broke down and the guests had to wait well over an hour until a replacement arrived (with no A/C as the bus engine had failed). Apparently the reaction of the driver and guide was to get out their prayer mats and start their devotions by the side of the road 🙄

Tonight we are dining in Pacific Rim and then another lazy day at sea tomorrow.

Well - if it was prayer time that's what they had to do.  Probably would have stopped the bus to pray as well!

sounds like a very interesting day though I have to say the Gambia would not be my choice of a place to visit!  Delighted to hear there was a classical music concert though.  There is another thread on this page about just that!!

Edited by Hambagahle

In the past i have had really good luck calling home. We have 2 or 3 hours of free home time and i like to touch base with my Mom at least once or twice. Except for a short phone call to my sister to wish her a happy birthday just before we left Lisbon, I have not been able to get through.  Each time it just rings busy and says congestion on the phone display.  Oh well will continue to try when the time difference works. 

15 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

We got our notices today regarding visas for Ghana and Togo. In hindsight should probably have arranged them while at home as they are much more expensive onboard plus in USD that adds another 30%.   After reviewing our tours we have decided to forgo getting the visas and just make those 2 sea days.  

We did a similar trip with Silversea and we never had to pay for a visa.  Immigration people came aboard were fed well and left just before the ship sailed.  It was all pretty seamless.  I think CruzStart is seriously missing out by staying on the ship - what's the point of doing a cruise like this? Ghana in particular is a stunning place to visit.  And I believe most countries need a visa even if you don't go ashore.  

Edited by Fletcher

This is a real shame!  Ghana is one of the most vibrant nations in West Africa - was the first formerly British colony to gain independence in 1956 and the Ghanaian people are about the most welcoming of any African people I know (I lived in Africa for 10 years).  IF at all possible - get the visa and go on shore.  You won't regret it.  IF you can get a private tour to Cape Coast castle - do that too,   

4 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

We did a similar trip with Silversea and we never had to pay for a visa.  Immigration people came aboard were fed well and left just before the ship sailed.  It was all pretty seamless.  I think CruzStart is seriously missing out by staying on the ship - what's the point of doing a cruise like this? Ghana in particular is a stunning place to visit.  And I believe most countries need a visa even if you don't go ashore.  

I appreciate your perspective but why i go on a cruise and what i want to see is up to me.  

We were told specifically that our choice was to buy a visa or stay onboard. I agree there are a number of countries where you have to have one regardless but that is not the case here. 

I usually buy my visas in advance but with Ghana they require a yellow fever certificate to accompany the visa application. My DH has cancer and can not have the yellow fever vaccine.  I was concerned that if i sent in the application with just the waiver they would not issue the visa and we would forfeit the fee. No matter where i did my research i couldn't get an answer to whether the waiver would be accepted. 

I was told by Regent that i could get the visa onboard and they would accept the yellow fever waiver so i went that route.  There were next to no tours for either of the stops and i picked tours knowing that there was a possibility we would not take them. 

Our choice our decision. 

10 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

This is a real shame!  Ghana is one of the most vibrant nations in West Africa - was the first formerly British colony to gain independence in 1956 and the Ghanaian people are about the most welcoming of any African people I know (I lived in Africa for 10 years).  IF at all possible - get the visa and go on shore.  You won't regret it.  IF you can get a private tour to Cape Coast castle - do that too,   

Thanks for the advice. I will keep it in mind. 

I feel we've been remiss in not contributing to this blog - and thanks to 1982CruzStart and Flossie009 for their sterling efforts. The crew were putting up the Christmas lights in the Observation Lounge this evening, whilst Ross tinkled away on the ivories, and we captured the elves in action.  Tomorrow, we could be surprised ship wide.

We're really having a great cruise - all the comments about Destination Services and the gangway issues were very valid - things were getting dangerous.  However, common sense has prevailed.

We're due in Cote D'Ivoire tomorrow and are a smidge concerned given previous terrorist activities in the area, but we're confident that Regent will look after us, as always.

We had a delightful dinner in Chartreuse tonight - the only downer was the wine steward who kept insisting we have a dessert wine (at a cost of $12 a glass).  She was quite pushy, and the wine was completely unnecessary; our Calvados was perfect and included.  We also had a bit of a problem in trying to access the Chateauneuf du Pape we expect in Chartreuse - she kept pushing her preferred Rhone Syrah. Just a single glitch in what has been a delightful experience.  Thanks to the other posters for their informative commentary - we've learnt quite a bit from it we would not have known otherwise.

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1136.JPG

Another relaxing sea day in mirror-calm seas and perfect poolside weather.

This evening we had an excellent dinner in Prime 7 with the delightful Captain Serena; always a pleasurable experience.

In the theatre tonight Evan Bosworth, the Assistant CD, performed a musical tribute to Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons. He is a very good singer and truly did justice to the wonderful songs of the Jersey Boys.

As Catpow reported, Christmas arrived on Explorer this evening.

As we exited the theatre we found the Entertainment Team decorating the tree in the Atrium as well as Reception and Destination Services staff dressing their areas.

2BD083D7-98FB-4D59-90E7-1D0EDB4DFFAE.thumb.jpeg.2b68d8badcde0a130cd2c0f2dfe357a4.jpeg

Mulled wine and Christmas Cookies were being served to get everyone into the festive spirit:

C1E4B8C4-7965-4A27-BC1B-3D285DD0FB94.jpeg.d751231baaf404923eb2d9d2b711a7ed.jpeg

Nicola, the Explorer Social Hostess, sends her best wishes:

01828495-BBCA-4392-8C07-8C9E80D52C23.thumb.jpeg.c22509f2f1c9cccf43ac5398dd0cb30d.jpeg

6ED0BEF7-2814-4B04-A18B-8F6452DFF379.thumb.jpeg.80b7235c588fb9cebd09fdd4206a653c.jpeg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Lobster tempura and my DH's ribs from the other night.

20181208_193047.thumb.jpg.f7656a53a2a4405ff71c162153206e9e.jpg20181208_193639.thumb.jpg.e4a2b1cca0fff8c9330db80367072a8c.jpg

Your photos tend to make my mouth water.  The lobster tempura in Pacific Rim is my favorite dish in that dining venue.

Catpow - good to see you posting and I hope that you mention the antics of the wine steward in Chartreuse on your mid-cruise comment card.  Pushing premium wines is not suppose to happen on Regent.  If that happened to us, I would likely let the F&B Director know to insure that it does not happen again - not to you or other passengers.