MSC vs. Traditional American Cruise Lines

IceBearFloats

I understand that this may be a can of worms, as much of this topic is very subjective. I know for every good review you can find two bad reviews, and vice versa -- but from Forum browsing and googling, it does appear that MSC gets weighted a little to the less favorable side, but again there are MANY proponents on here. 

Im a semi experienced cruiser, Caribbean primarily, but across Celebrity, Norwegian, Royal and Carnival. Im not blown away with the food or the venues - they all have their pros and cons, but Im simple, I like my interior cabin cave, I do like the staff being friendly, I like some deck antics by the entertainment staff but I dont need 5 Star treatment and Top Tier food. Im all about getting away and waking up in a new port, exploring and coming back to grab a less than impressive, but very satisfying burger. 

With all that said, most of the negative reviews of MSC tend to lean towards not reaching that pinnacle class of experience. For a casual cruiser, as described, that is interested in trying a Mediterranean MSC Cruise, do you think it would live up to the expectations that I typically have for cruise lines? Or is it really that much different? Would love your feedback

• Like 1

Great question and it really describes us, also.  I would be very interested in responses.  We have the Divina booked for January and the Meraviglia booked for October.  We are experienced cruisers, having never sailed with MSC and will be a new experience for us also.

We are retiring next year and also looking for a good Mediterranean cruise ...sooooo  ....very interested in responses to your question.

Remember that for every review that dislikes MSC there are many Thousands who sail that we never hear from, a small % of the reviews are well written in a way as to help rather than hinder those looking for help and information and will likely contain plus and negative comments with text to support what is being said. The rest I personally ignore, in fact to the point that I no longer read them having sailed 7 times already with MSC and other lines in various areas.

• Like 1

@sidari Totally agree, I look at reviews the same as I do on Amazon. Since I already know Im interested in the 'product' I read the negatives, I try to factor out the crazies and overly emotional ones and try to find ones that pluck out something meaningful to help me critically decide .. but you are totally right!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are the exact same type of cruiser. We don't like one line over another. We like them all. So we're giving MSC a try. Actually 2 tries lol. Divina on Jan. 10th and Seaside on Aug.10. My opinion is that the person makes the cruise not the cruise line, staff, dinning room, buffet, blah, blah, bah. Have stayed in tiny inside cabins, aft balconies and owners suite (Haven). All have their pros and cons. Give MSC a try, hey whats the worst that could happen...oh, wait you're on a cruise so enjoy....Best ship ever ...SS Norway IMHO.

• Like 1

Look for my review from the September/October time frame. It's extensive and it's from the Fantastica Balcony experience, not the YC. A lot of the reviews ranting and raving are from the Yacht Club. I could afford to do it on MSC but I choose not to. NCL which was my cruise line of choice until last year has an untouchable Haven complex with pricing out of sight. MSC is right up there with NCL and with some minor tweaks in their room service area, they will beat them. I found the service very similar to NCLs and the ships layout far superior to NCL's Breakaway class ships. I was really impressed with my first MSC cruise. Where NCL continues to mis-step, MSC is stepping up and beating them - ship design comes readily to mind. The buffet on MSC seemed far superior to NCL's buffet on their Breakaway-class ships. The POOL DECK on MSC is what it should be! No need to chase for a lounger like you have to on NCL and you can actually be by the pool. Activities are far superior on MSC and not at all an upsell push like just about everything NCL has scheduled these days. I didn't feel a constant sales pressure  on MSC like NCL has become. Del Rio has destroyed NCL. If I want to be in a constant marketing binge I'll stay home and turn on a TV!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IceBearFloats said:

I understand that this may be a can of worms, as much of this topic is very subjective. I know for every good review you can find two bad reviews, and vice versa -- but from Forum browsing and googling, it does appear that MSC gets weighted a little to the less favorable side, but again there are MANY proponents on here. 

Im a semi experienced cruiser, Caribbean primarily, but across Celebrity, Norwegian, Royal and Carnival. Im not blown away with the food or the venues - they all have their pros and cons, but Im simple, I like my interior cabin cave, I do like the staff being friendly, I like some deck antics by the entertainment staff but I dont need 5 Star treatment and Top Tier food. Im all about getting away and waking up in a new port, exploring and coming back to grab a less than impressive, but very satisfying burger. 

With all that said, most of the negative reviews of MSC tend to lean towards not reaching that pinnacle class of experience. For a casual cruiser, as described, that is interested in trying a Mediterranean MSC Cruise, do you think it would live up to the expectations that I typically have for cruise lines? Or is it really that much different? Would love your feedback

Why only look at MSC, if looking at the med. there is loads of alternative cruises, the new class from Marella has everything included, drinks, tips and a great burger/hot dog venue. What more do you want. ( no I don't work for them, being a canny Scot I am not left with a bill at the end of my cruise) you might find that they are not your 5000 + cruise line, however I have never had a bad cruise maybe that's because I take every cruise ad if it's my first 

6 minutes ago, Scot born said:

Where are you from? I know that Marella is a UK company but also sail to the USA, so I don't see why they would not appreciate customers from out with UK if you are ok to arrange your own fights try searching https://www.tui.co.uk hope this helps if need more on any uk cruise happy to help. 

We were docked next to a Marella ship in the Caribbean last week.  Wow...very different.  Hammocks on the balconies!!!!   

Scot born ... Marella is owned by T.U.I Germany and Royal has an input, their latest two ships are ex RCI, Explorer 1 and 2. with older Celebrity ships and former Thomson cruise ships.

Edited by sidari

19 minutes ago, champagne123 said:

We were docked next to a Marella ship in the Caribbean last week.  Wow...very different.  Hammocks on the balconies!!!!   

@Scot born From the USA, so all this European stuff is SCARY 😉 

Not long of the the Explorer with the large balcony with hammock really did enjoy it is very different experience to all the larger cruise ships and very less scary.

going on the seaside out of Miami in May now that is scary but you have to take the leap into the unknown to experience everything. 

Ice bear anything you want to know I will be happy to help can you get on to Thompson /TUI/ Marella website ? 

I have been trying to think of some "words of wisdom" for the OP..based on our 45 years of extensive cruise experience.   The Med (and European) cruises are different then what you experience in the Caribbean.  We happen to love cruising all over the world, but know that we have to change our expectations depending on where we are, the demographics of our fellow cruisers, etc.  If I go on a 7 day Caribbean cruise with a mass market line like MSC, RCI, Carnival, etc. I expect to have a lot of younger thru middle aged cruisers, plenty of children, and cruisers from all economic backgrounds.   But if I take a 60 day cruise on HAL I would expect a much older crowd, few children, and a ship that will become a morgue by 10pm.  

MSC is truly an International line.  But the routes of the company is in Europe and their passenger base has been mainly European until their recent expansion into the Florida cruise market.  So one would expect that when cruising in Europe you are going to have a high percentage of European passengers (many of whom will not call English their first langauge).  MSC uses a system that allows passengers to embark/disembark at many ports along their itineraries.  So unlike the Caribbean, the friend you make today, may well be finishing their cruise tomorrow while you have 10 days to go.  This is something that does not suit some cruisers and is more akin to a ferry ship as opposed to what we think of as a cruise.   If you are looking for a cruise that is simply a vessel to get you between many ports,  then MSC might be great in the Med.  But pay close attention to the amount of time they spend in each port, and the day of the week in each port.  For example, if you are in Civitavecchia (Rome) on a Sunday, you will likely find that the Vatican Museums (Sistine Chapel) are closed.  In Italy, you will also find a lot of closures on Mondays (especially in the morning).  

When looking at Med cruises just keep in mind that more time in ports is always desirable.  In some ports it can take 1-3 hours to just get from the Port to your tour destination.  So, for example, getting to and from Florence (port of Livorno) can easy use 3 hours of your day.  If you are in Le Havre and want to go to Paris it can take 5-6 hours of your day just to go back and forth.  So unlike the Caribbean (we do not even bother getting off the ship in many ports) in Europe the ports are truly King!  Also try to find anyway possible to extend your trip.  it costs a lot of money to get to Europe, so once there you should spend as much time as possible given your home issues and budget.  Consider spending land time (pre and post cruise) as most of Europe is best enjoyed on land trips.

Hank

Hank

• Like 1

It is a shocker, but there is part of the cruise world that thinks in terms of weeks and months rather then days.  We have met one cruising couple who manages about 300 days a year on cruises!  There used to be a couple that practically lived on the old Royal Princess and the Cunard Queen Mary 2 used (I think she passed) have a lady that lived aboard except for some holidays when she went to visit Grandchildren.

There is also a very special ship called "The World" that consists of condos instead of cabins.  This ship is always cruising around the world and the owners come and go as they please (some in their private jets).  It is possible for anyone to book some condos on that ship if they are vacant and the owner agrees to rentals.

Unfortunately, we have never gotten into that ratified atmosphere, but have managed a couple of 60+ day cruises and quite a few in the 40-50 day range.  We still come back to the Caribbean since that is where our cruise life got its start and its still easy to love the relaxed atmosphere, great weather, beautiful waters, and some of the islands.

One interesting incident happened to us on our first really long cruise (I think it was 62 days).  DW and I had lunch with a lovely widow who was truly a delightful tablemate.  During lunch we talked mostly about travel and cruising and she told us that this was only her 5th cruise.  She later explained that her first 4 cruises were all full World Cruises...each over 100 days long.  Go figure.  

Hank 

• Like 1

Here is something written by another Cruise Critic member some time ago. I would give credit if I knew who it was. Anyway, I think they did a good job of pointing out some differences.

I think I've finally figured out how to partially explain some of the MSC difference.

All of the crew/workers are trained by Europeans--and in a way that appeals more to European passengers (since overall, the majority of MSC pax ARE European).

Europeans are generally quieter and more reserved than Americans, so there are very few announcements over the loud speakers. MSC workers are trained to ALSO be quiet and reserved, and specifically NOT to be too friendly. For example, Europeans don't want their waiters/stewards to get too personal/act like they are long-time friends.

And, Europeans eat ONLY at meal times, and usually at the same times every day (thus the "stricter" times for food availability--especially on cruises sailing in Europe). I think that they also like to eat much more leisurely, so dinners can take even up to several hours. And Europeans aren't accustomed to lots of salt and spices and seasoning on their food, so some of the MSC food won't seem tasty enough

Also Europeans don't need/aren't used to tons and tons of different activity choices, so MSC doesn't offer as many as the American lines do. They DO still have fun things going on at every hour--but maybe just 1 or 2 choices at any given time.

Another big difference is that Europeans aren't in the habit of apologizing for things that aren't their (personal) fault, so the workers aren't going to seem very good at being reassuring and understanding. They will maybe actually seem uncaring or rude, but I don't think they mean to be--they are just communicating in different ways than Americans are used to.

I also think that most European countries don't use the concept of "the customer is always right". MSC workers ARE usually very good about fixing/changing things IF they can. But for things that are just impossible (requesting a cabin change if there are no extra cabins left, or requesting a dining time that is completely full, etc), they can come off as blunt or rude, and not very understanding. To be fair, this style is not unique to MSC nor to Italians, though. I've heard the same thing when in northern Europe. If a customer service person just can't help you for some reason, then they just say so and expect you to leave. They won't spend any time commiserating with you or trying to think up alternate ideas that may work, or anything like this. It's just, "Sorry, can't help you. Next person please."

Now these are just generalities that I've finally deduced after some travel and reading and thought, but maybe they aren't exactly right, so any Europeans out there--feel free to clarify anything I've mistaken.

So for Americans, one big thing is that many of the MSC workers won't be as "smiley" and outgoing, as are the crew on NCL and CCL (who are trained to be very smiley). As for the Italian workers specifically--I also think that they are somewhat self-conscious about their English pronunciation, and so they aren't always excited to speak in English. So if you speak even a little Italian, don't be shy.

These things can make it seem that the workers are standoffish or even conceited. And it can make the overall atmosphere on MSC feel unfriendly, or like something just isn't quite right. But that's just a first impression, though. The workers are trained to stay professional at the start (in the European way), but if you start conversations, it lets them know they can be more friendly and talkative around you. This is what Cam and some others have done, and it makes for a completely different experience.

Anyway, the best advice is to not worry too much about things ahead of time, but just go in with a positive attitude. Things may sometimes seem disorganized or worse, but they do eventually get almost everything worked out well in the end.

And talk to the crew! That's the best way to realize they really don't mean to be rude. Besides, they are really interesting and fun people. I learned a lot from some of them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

cruiseguyinorl

Thank you for sharing the above statement.  Whomever wrote it, I thank you also.  I have never really understood the obsession of the staff.  I would much prefer someone professional, than trying to make a new best friend.  Trading emails..giving gifts....trading personal information.   This seems absurd  to me.  Does one do this with your local server at a favorite restaurant?  Of course not.  

I am always pleasant and polite to the staff, but I do not need to know all about their lives.  My last cabin steward started out professionally, but as the days went by, she felt the need to complain about being overworked and underpaid.  Really?   I am on vacation.  I have my own problems and trying not to think about them and here she is, never-ending complaining.  

As I stated above, I will always prefer someone acting professionally and doing their job.  I do not require smiles and pleasantries.  JMO.....

• Like 3

8 hours ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

Here is something written by another Cruise Critic member some time ago. I would give credit if I knew who it was. Anyway, I think they did a good job of pointing out some differences.

I think I've finally figured out how to partially explain some of the MSC difference.......etc.

Yep, there is a whole big world out there beyond the USofA......!!

23 hours ago, IceBearFloats said:

I have only three cruises under my belt, but I feel like have a lot of travel experience.  We travel some with groups and some just our family of 4 (Two children 8 and 4)  I generally don't make a big deal of small things when on vacation, and usually am the one sitting back enjoying a drink while watching others flip out because their towel was folded the wrong way.  

I'll compare two cruise lines from Caribbean trips and then comment about MSC in Europe

MSC Seaside vs. NCL Escape (Caribbean) 

Food - double thumbs up to MSC

Kids club - thumbs up to NCL  (rope course, mini golf, large sports platform)

Ship - MSC (clean, spacious, nice four level atrium)

Rooms - (both balcony) - maybe a little more room on NCL, nothing that is really noticeable

Guests - thumb up to MSC - NCL seemed to have more people (all inclusive drink package) drunk around the pools, more obnoxious guests throughout, MSC has a strong European following, who tend to be more reserved, less "friendly" by means of not always offering hello's as you pass them by, it their culture, which I like

Nothing else really has major differences (IMO).  Overall they have more similarities that not.  We prefer MSC between the two, and that is why our next is on the Seaside again.

In Europe, as mentioned above, the cruises have an ongoing embarkation, which has it's pros and cons.  You never have 3000-5000 trying to get on and off the ship at the same time, but you don't tend to meet as many people.  For our cruise (and thinking because MSC is European and more Europeans will cruise with them then say a NCL or RCCL in Europe), being North American we were in a 10-15% minority of people. Most people spoke English as a second language.  

There is a strong European culture on a MSC Med cruise. If you are travelling to Europe, you need to figure out if you want to experience this on your cruise, and while at port, or just at ports (I'm assuming there is less influence on NA cruise cruise line).

If you are going to Europe to sight see, your ship is your floating hotel.  Port days are very busy.  You could spend days in places like Barcelona or Rome, but instead you are cramming in the highlights in a few hours.  We had a great time on MSC in Europe, great food, clean ship, and why we didn't hesitate to book the Seaside when their are so many conflicting reviews.

16 hours ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

I think I've finally figured out how to partially explain some of the MSC difference.

All of the crew/workers are trained by Europeans--and in a way that appeals more to European passengers (since overall, the majority of MSC pax ARE European).

Europeans are generally quieter and more reserved than Americans, so there are very few announcements over the loud speakers. MSC workers are trained to ALSO be quiet and reserved, and specifically NOT to be too friendly. For example, Europeans don't want their waiters/stewards to get too personal/act like they are long-time friends.

And, Europeans eat ONLY at meal times, and usually at the same times every day (thus the "stricter" times for food availability--especially on cruises sailing in Europe). I think that they also like to eat much more leisurely, so dinners can take even up to several hours. And Europeans aren't accustomed to lots of salt and spices and seasoning on their food, so some of the MSC food won't seem tasty enough

Also Europeans don't need/aren't used to tons and tons of different activity choices, so MSC doesn't offer as many as the American lines do. They DO still have fun things going on at every hour--but maybe just 1 or 2 choices at any given time.

Another big difference is that Europeans aren't in the habit of apologizing for things that aren't their (personal) fault, so the workers aren't going to seem very good at being reassuring and understanding. They will maybe actually seem uncaring or rude, but I don't think they mean to be--they are just communicating in different ways than Americans are used to.

I also think that most European countries don't use the concept of "the customer is always right". MSC workers ARE usually very good about fixing/changing things IF they can. But for things that are just impossible (requesting a cabin change if there are no extra cabins left, or requesting a dining time that is completely full, etc), they can come off as blunt or rude, and not very understanding. To be fair, this style is not unique to MSC nor to Italians, though. I've heard the same thing when in northern Europe. If a customer service person just can't help you for some reason, then they just say so and expect you to leave. They won't spend any time commiserating with you or trying to think up alternate ideas that may work, or anything like this. It's just, "Sorry, can't help you. Next person please."

Now these are just generalities that I've finally deduced after some travel and reading and thought, but maybe they aren't exactly right, so any Europeans out there--feel free to clarify anything I've mistaken.

So for Americans, one big thing is that many of the MSC workers won't be as "smiley" and outgoing, as are the crew on NCL and CCL (who are trained to be very smiley). As for the Italian workers specifically--I also think that they are somewhat self-conscious about their English pronunciation, and so they aren't always excited to speak in English. So if you speak even a little Italian, don't be shy.

These things can make it seem that the workers are standoffish or even conceited. And it can make the overall atmosphere on MSC feel unfriendly, or like something just isn't quite right. But that's just a first impression, though. The workers are trained to stay professional at the start (in the European way), but if you start conversations, it lets them know they can be more friendly and talkative around you. This is what Cam and some others have done, and it makes for a completely different experience.

Anyway, the best advice is to not worry too much about things ahead of time, but just go in with a positive attitude. Things may sometimes seem disorganized or worse, but they do eventually get almost everything worked out well in the end.

And talk to the crew! That's the best way to realize they really don't mean to be rude. Besides, they are really interesting and fun people. I learned a lot from some of them. 

Brett ... It would seem that some people do not share your view of this post and are very sensitive to it, having sailed MSC 7 times now I agree with its contents. I posted it to a FB group who removed it claiming it was racist after a few people complained about it.

It would seem that some people are not as thick skinned as others.

• Like 1