Grand dry dock?

TedBar82

I’ve found this unofficial website for Princess shipyard maintenance to generally be accurate.  Checking the Grand’s cruises do not see any scheduled for those dates so apparently that’s the shipyard maintenance.

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/fleet-drydock-schedule

Grand  March 3, 2019  March 19, 2019  17  Undetermined - this is about 50% longer than a typical drydock for a Grand Class    San Francisco 
Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, anzore said:

Thats interesting as there are roll calls listed for all of 2019

If you check the Grand’s cruises on the Princess website you’ll see there are not any cruises between March 3 and March 20.  If there’s a 2019 roll call listed during those dates it’s for the drydock.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Haha 2

Off Grand on Dec.3rd and here is the scoop for Grands Dry Dock up in Portland at the Vigor Ship Yard.  We got to tour the Bridge and spent 1/2 hour with the Captain.  This dry dock is required by IMO and Lloyd's of London.  They will inspect, repair / adjust and clean the following:  propellers, exchangers, propulsion efficiency and thrusters.  Replace the hot and cold water main lines.  Many Hotel renovations like reupholster all lounge chairs in the Explorer's Lounge, Crooner's Bar, Wheelhouse Bar, Crown Grill, Library and the Snooker's Bar.  Replace all Stateroom Cabin Sleeper Sofas.  New sofas for the Explorer's Lounge, and Crooner's Bar.  Replace all Astro Turf in the Open Decks.  Refinish the Wheelhouse Bar Dance Floor.  All of Horizon Court Buffet carpets will be replaced, along with the tiles.  Coffee Station Wood Cabinets in the Horizon Court will be refinished.  New carpets for the Botticelli Dining Room and Crooner's Bar.  Finally, Installation of the first phase of wiring for the Ocean Medallion and to finish it on the next dry dock.   Yep !, I did not miss speak or write... I guess their continuing up grade goes on, even if the ship is scheduled to be sold in the future.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2018 at 6:28 PM, Astro Flyer said:

I’ve found this unofficial website for Princess shipyard maintenance to generally be accurate.  Checking the Grand’s cruises do not see any scheduled for those dates so apparently that’s the shipyard maintenance.

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/fleet-drydock-schedule

Grand  March 3, 2019  March 19, 2019  17  Undetermined - this is about 50% longer than a typical drydock for a Grand Class    San Francisco 

HM...It’s listed as 17 days. Something that long makes me think as something large. Now I see it’s going to be in Portland. 

Tom😎

Edited by trbarton

27 minutes ago, Gimer said:

Off Grand on Dec.3rd and here is the scoop for Grands Dry Dock up in Portland at the Vigor Ship Yard.  We got to tour the Bridge and spent 1/2 hour with the Captain.  This dry dock is required by IMO and Lloyd's of London.  They will inspect, repair / adjust and clean the following:  propellers, exchangers, propulsion efficiency and thrusters.  Replace the hot and cold water main lines.  Many Hotel renovations like reupholster all lounge chairs in the Explorer's Lounge, Crooner's Bar, Wheelhouse Bar, Crown Grill, Library and the Snooker's Bar.  Replace all Stateroom Cabin Sleeper Sofas.  New sofas for the Explorer's Lounge, and Crooner's Bar.  Replace all Astro Turf in the Open Decks.  Refinish the Wheelhouse Bar Dance Floor.  All of Horizon Court Buffet carpets will be replaced, along with the tiles.  Coffee Station Wood Cabinets in the Horizon Court will be refinished.  New carpets for the Botticelli Dining Room and Crooner's Bar.  Finally, Installation of the first phase of wiring for the Ocean Medallion and to finish it on the next dry dock.   Yep !, I did not miss speak or write... I guess their continuing up grade goes on, even if the ship is scheduled to be sold in the future.  

Thanks for the information. That’s good & valuable information. Interesting that the other web site shows San Francisco. The last dry dock was in Portland, my home town so I’m impressed & interested that they chose Portland. 

Hello to Gimer from Tom. 

Tom😎

Edited by trbarton

8 hours ago, Gimer said:

Thanks, we'll be on the March 20th cruise and staying on for the March 30th one, too.  We look forward to seeing the upgrades.

Hi Tom,  a belated Happy Holidays and that all your cruises are fantastic.  Scuttlebutt has it among some Officers are that Star will do the 2020 Alaskan Season in San Francisco and then another ship will replace her.  I hope we will run into you on another cruise down the line.  Stan

Thanks to Gimer for posting the plans / expectations.  We're on Grand both Feb 21 (last before) and April 6 (second after) will make a point of noting and posting the differences.

Fingers crossed they don't jump the gun and start shutting down the ship on our February cruise . . .

jondfk,  Like you , we are doing a cruise before the dry dock and after.  Jan. 27 and the Apr. 6.  On our Nov. cruise, I went around and took pics of the different locations that were listed, so I could compare later.  On other dry docks, Contractors were on board some times a month ahead.  On their last dry dock (2017) when they installed exchangers, there were 8 contractors preparing the engine area, so when the ship went into the dry dock, it got installed with out delays.  Carpets were delivered two weeks earlier and they were installing the carpets from 11pm to 6 am.  The exchanger contractors were from the UK and couple of times, I shared a breakfast table with them at 6 am in the Horizon Court.  No, the ship will be running it's full service with out any hiccups !

Hi Gimer:  Look forward to seeing you on the April 6th cruise then!

As you say, I'm not overly worried, I've been on a couple of others the weeks before dry dock with no negative consequences aside from some carpet changes and the like.  

i'm booked on the grand to mexico on feb. 11, 2019 so i won't get to see all the improvements.  i'm not sure if the ship will be in good shape before the dry dock.  i hope it will be ok.  i love this ship and i'm sorry i'll be missing the refurbishment.

Grand Princess just passed the USPH Inspection with 98 %.  Those minor 2% were record keep mistakes.  Then the following cruise, the USCG did their inspection and passed with flying colors.  The Captain threw ta party up at the One 5 for the crew for doing a deep clean in every US Ports and Canada for over 6 months, waiting for those un-scheduled inspections.  The crew on Grand is the BEST and a tight working family....  Grand is old, but she's A Grand Lady.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, USC Adventurer said:

i'm booked on the grand to mexico on feb. 11, 2019 so i won't get to see all the improvements.  i'm not sure if the ship will be in good shape before the dry dock.  i hope it will be ok.  i love this ship and i'm sorry i'll be missing the refurbishment.

We'll be right there with you. It's gonna be, well........Grand!

I don't think so, Big Corporations & Military set spending  budgets and they go through with projects, even if thing change before the projects ever finish.  The wiring for Medallion, could be a benefit for P&O, in their future.  

• Like 1

i won't be sailing princess for awhile.  i've decided to try a couple river cruises in europe.  in november of 2019 i'm going on a rhine river cruise from basel to amsterdam with crystal cruises and in december 2020, i'm going on a danube christmas market cruise with crystal cruises.  i've never been on a river cruise so i'm really looking forward to both of them.  

i guess my cruise to mexico on the grand will be the last time i can sail on the grand.  where will she be sailing after her drydock and when will she be sold to p and o lines?