Norway 2020 - 15% Extra for Apex over Silhouette worth it?

AidenL

We booked a 7 night to Norway yesterday on SIlhouette in an ocean view cabin for around 3300 euros. 

We can can do the same itinerary on Apex, OV also for about 450 euros more.

Any thoughts on whether it’s worth changing to experience the new Apex?

Or just use the saving for flights and speciality dining?

€450 more to experience a new ship is a reasonable premium so it might be worth it. I see you are from Ireland, as am I. TBH if I were in your shoes I would book the 8 night cruise on Reflection from Dublin to Norway instead! We did that in May of this year and sailing to and from Dublin was beyond amazing!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Eloise4Ever said:

€450 more to experience a new ship is a reasonable premium so it might be worth it. I see you are from Ireland, as am I. TBH if I were in your shoes I would book the 8 night cruise on Reflection from Dublin to Norway instead! We did that in May of this year and sailing to and from Dublin was beyond amazing!

Yep, Donegal here. 

I looked at going from Dublin, but its about 1500 euros more for one extra night. No flights admittedly and the convenience would be great, but it seemed a massive jump in price? 

3 hours ago, ghstudio said:

I wouldn't do either.....I would find a cruise (princess, etc) that visits the North Cape in Norway.  Celebrity no longer does that route. We very much enjoyed our Princess cruise on that itinerary.

Yes, I heard that its nice up North, if colder. 

14 hours ago, AidenL said:

We booked a 7 night to Norway yesterday on SIlhouette in an ocean view cabin for around 3300 euros. 

We can can do the same itinerary on Apex, OV also for about 450 euros more.

Any thoughts on whether it’s worth changing to experience the new Apex?

Or just use the saving for flights and speciality dining?

On our Norway cruise we spent loads of time on the balcony. As we neared ports in the early morning we would breakfast and enjoy coffee just soaking in the views. After sightseeing we loved our balcony again late afternoon. We would enjoy a drink as the light changes on the slopes of the hills and mountains constantly kept your eyes entertained.  It was cold but there are blankets and you can wrap up warm....would suggest staying on Silhouette but using that €450 to pay extra for a balcony cabin....

I”d strongly look at going on the Apex. At 15% more, that’s less than what I see the current Edge is above other Celebrity ships. And since you are from Ireland, I’d think it could be more fun to go out of Southampton on the Apex and explore southern England a few days prior. But I have a feeling you’ve traveled around the UK before! Myself, I’d have a tough time deciding. I could spend many, many days exploring Dublin again and outer-areas around it also!

Two great choices. 

Den

5 hours ago, AidenL said:

I looked at going from Dublin, but its about 1500 euros more for one extra night. No flights admittedly and the convenience would be great, but it seemed a massive jump in price? 

I noticed the Dublin sailing was more expensive but of course you have to factor in flight costs to the UK, transfer costs to Southampton unless you fly direct and maybe a hotel in Southampton the night before. We sailed from Southampton to the Canaries last September and I just did a quick calculation of the expenses involved based on email confirmations. Believe it or not it cost us in the region of €700 to sail from Southampton. I am actually shocked myself at how high that figure is but I double checked and it is what it is. Also, not to be alarmist, but depending on how Brexit goes, travelling to Southampton could be even more expensive or awkward from an immigration/customs perspective. Plus, you would not believe the comfort of sailing from Dublin and not having to fly to join the ship. We drove from Galway the morning of the cruise and parked at the port. Easy peasy.

I did notice that the 2020 Norway cruise from Dublin is several weeks later than the one from Southampton. We sailed to Norway on 20th May this year and we were lucky enough to have fabulous weather for the whole cruise. Bright and sunny all the way. Obviously weather is a gamble these days in any part of the world but perhaps the later sail date would help improve the odds. We loved viewing the amazing fjords from our balcony and the captain even turned the ship 360 degrees on occasion so we could see the view on both sides! It was spectacular and one of my favourite cruises ever.

I was going to send you a private message Aiden as I thought that was now a feature on Cruise Critic, but it doesn't seem to be working. My email address is in my signature if you would like any further advice on sailing from Dublin.

Edited by Eloise4Ever

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2018 at 10:04 PM, Eloise4Ever said:

I noticed the Dublin sailing was more expensive but of course you have to factor in flight costs to the UK, transfer costs to Southampton unless you fly direct and maybe a hotel in Southampton the night before. We sailed from Southampton to the Canaries last September and I just did a quick calculation of the expenses involved based on email confirmations. Believe it or not it cost us in the region of €700 to sail from Southampton. I am actually shocked myself at how high that figure is but I double checked and it is what it is. Also, not to be alarmist, but depending on how Brexit goes, travelling to Southampton could be even more expensive or awkward from an immigration/customs perspective. Plus, you would not believe the comfort of sailing from Dublin and not having to fly to join the ship. We drove from Galway the morning of the cruise and parked at the port. Easy peasy.

I did notice that the 2020 Norway cruise from Dublin is several weeks later than the one from Southampton. We sailed to Norway on 20th May this year and we were lucky enough to have fabulous weather for the whole cruise. Bright and sunny all the way. Obviously weather is a gamble these days in any part of the world but perhaps the later sail date would help improve the odds. We loved viewing the amazing fjords from our balcony and the captain even turned the ship 360 degrees on occasion so we could see the view on both sides! It was spectacular and one of my favourite cruises ever.

I was going to send you a private message Aiden as I thought that was now a feature on Cruise Critic, but it doesn't seem to be working. My email address is in my signature if you would like any further advice on sailing from Dublin.

Im actually thinking now about switching to a 12 night Baltics out of Amsterdam. Always fancied that, and would do August 2020. 

Sailing from Dublin sounds great, but as we are in Alaska next year, and hopefully the Baltics in 20, I'll have to leave Dublin till the year after maybe !