To "Concierge" or not to "Concierge?"

suizas

Hello Celebrity Cruisers!

Need some assistance -- Mom (83 years young) and I are virgin Celebs and have a lot of history with Royal (we will start out as Elite when we board).  We are booked on the Edge the end of January in an Infinite Veranda.  Mom LOVES a balcony and I just realized that the infinite veranda isn't really a balcony as she is accustomed.  It looks as if the only way to have a true balcony is with a suite?  Please correct me if I am wrong...  

So -- being that a suite is beyond what we are willing to pay, I am considering a Concierge room instead.  These appear to be the same size as the room I already have booked for us.  So my question is, do you think it is worthwhile to move to a Concierge Class room?  What sort of advantages are there?  

Please help me decide!  It looks as if Concierge also has the same infinite balcony scenario....  Thank you!  Susan

Personally, if you're going to move up, I'd move to Aqua Class to get dining in Blu.  Even if you're not spa people, that amenity alone is well worth it.  Concierge... eh.  I've never really seen the benefit personally.  

I agree - the Concierge benefits are not worth much except perhaps on the older M-class ships where the staterooms are bigger.

If you'd really prefer a stateroom on the Edge without the infinite verandah, your choices are small in regard to balcony cabins. As we weren't sure ourselves if we'd like an infinite balcony which might give us an enclosed feeling we booked a SV-category verandah room right at the aft of the ship for our Med cruise. The only alternative I'd know of are the ones in cat. 1B/1A which are the cheapest balcony cabins but as far as I could see the balconies are tiny and closed in ( the small round ones on the picture of the ship). SV cat. gives you a huge balcony and a larger cabin - but it's a long walk from the stern to the front...

41 minutes ago, grayjay said:

I agree - the Concierge benefits are not worth much except perhaps on the older M-class ships where the staterooms are bigger.

If you'd really prefer a stateroom on the Edge without the infinite verandah, your choices are small in regard to balcony cabins. As we weren't sure ourselves if we'd like an infinite balcony which might give us an enclosed feeling we booked a SV-category verandah room right at the aft of the ship for our Med cruise. The only alternative I'd know of are the ones in cat. 1B/1A which are the cheapest balcony cabins but as far as I could see the balconies are tiny and closed in ( the small round ones on the picture of the ship). SV cat. gives you a huge balcony and a larger cabin - but it's a long walk from the stern to the front...

I agree, booked an SV cabin to have a real balcony..

Edited by Fun Redhead

1 hour ago, grayjay said:

Thank you ~ I called the Captains Club number and inquired.  Sunset Verandas are sold out ~ ugh!  She did say I could switch to a 1B/1A .  I will say she wasn't the most knowledgeable rep as she did not think SV's were on the Edge! 

As they are guarentee rooms, I'm wondering if there is a chance we would still end up with the Infinite Balcony instead of a true (althoughsmallish) balcony.   Assuming SMALL chance we would be able to grab a SV! 

13 minutes ago, suizas said:

Thank you ~ I called the Captains Club number and inquired.  Sunset Verandas are sold out ~ ugh!  She did say I could switch to a 1B/1A .  I will say she wasn't the most knowledgeable rep as she did not think SV's were on the Edge! 

As they are guarentee rooms, I'm wondering if there is a chance we would still end up with the Infinite Balcony instead of a true (althoughsmallish) balcony.   Assuming SMALL chance we would be able to grab a SV! 

Suggest you stay put...you may like the Enclosed Veranda and  if veranda doors are open  it will give more space in the cabin.  We have one booked for an upcoming cruise and SV for a future cruise next yr.,.but being way aft may have drawbacks  as well as other choices!  Enjoy!

Edited by hcat

I believe all the 1A and 1B cabins suggested do have the "regular" balcony, but your view from those is restricted because you are looking out a round opening, not a wall-to-wall, floor to ceiling view you would have with an infinite balcony (look at the outside of the ship to better visualize your restricted view). Your current cabin should be fine. Think of it as a balcony with a bonus wind shield that can be raised to protect against inclement weather, in addition to better utilizing the cabin space. The only real drawback I see is if she is used to a balcony where each deck sticks out beyond the deck above. But they are only found on the back of the ship.

• Thanks 1

The concierge and regular Infinite Verandahs are identical except for a few amenities.  The toiletries are nicer in concierge (C.O. Bigelow instead of X branded), fluffier robes, umbrellas and binoculars, evening canapés, and a couple other things.  We were just on an inaugural in a concierge cabin and really loved the infinite verandah, but it may upset some traditionalists.  It’s pretty much exactly like a river cruise cabin - the whole outer wall is glass, and the bottom top slides down electrically.  We pretty much left the window open all the time, and it was great - you didn’t have that problem where you’re trying to prop a balcony door open and fight the curtains, etc etc.  The climate control turns off while the window is open.  The window is covered by a motorized blackout shade that is VERY effective at darkening the room.  The shade is controlled either by a switch right next to it, or from the electronic thermostat, which has light/shade modes for morning/evening/sleep, etc.  We never closed folding doors that demarcate the “balcony” area. First, they were slightly fiddly to open and close, and the really don’t add a lot of value since they are clear. 

For all infinite verandah staterooms, the bathroom and shower were also noticeably larger than S or M class, but not huge.  Just about right, I think.  Storage is hugely improved over S-Class, with more drawers and hangers provided, and no more of that awful giant storage bin over the bed.

A few things that surprised us

1. The captain can remotely close and lock the windows in the case of inclement weather or for safety reasons.  Also there is a light sensor on the ledge that, when blocked, will stop the window.

2. The cabin steward warned us to pull the furniture back from the window so that the shade would not be damaged as it is lowered - I suspect a lot of these shades will need replacing fairly often, but we LOVED how dark they made the room when closed.

3. When the shades are closed, there is no way to “peek” outside without opening the blinds and flooding the room with light.  There are no shades for the “balcony” partition, so one person cannot sit there and look at the ocean while another sleeps, unless that other has a mask on or can sleep in a light room.

net net, we MUCH prefer the infinite verandah, and will put up with the shortcomings.

16 minutes ago, IMNiles said:

3. When the shades are closed, there is no way to “peek” outside without opening the blinds and flooding the room with light.  There are no shades for the “balcony” partition, so one person cannot sit there and look at the ocean while another sleeps, unless that other has a mask on or can sleep in a light room.

net net, we MUCH prefer the infinite verandah, and will put up with the shortcomings.

Appreciate the overall review ... going to miss the ability though to 'separate' the sleeping area from the seating/balcony area (like on the Disney ships) as am used to getting up early and doing a few things and looking out the balcony without disturbing DW who sleeps in late.  

Thought I would toss this into the mix. At 83, how mobile is your mother? The SV and 1A/1B are pretty far away from elevator. You might qualify for a handicap accessible cabin... they are larger than regular IV cabin. Anyway if mobility is an issue, you might consider renting a scooter... if you so so... look for a cabin with bed by the window for more room.... unless you do get an accessible cabin.

I'm having a similar but different problem. I wanted to move up to Aqua class. Willing to pay. When I go online they say there are Aqua class cabins available. But when I try to move up they say nothing is available. Guess I'll call my TA tomorrow and ask her to inquire.

4 hours ago, kearney said:

Thought I would toss this into the mix. At 83, how mobile is your mother? The SV and 1A/1B are pretty far away from elevator. You might qualify for a handicap accessible cabin... they are larger than regular IV cabin. Anyway if mobility is an issue, you might consider renting a scooter... if you so so... look for a cabin with bed by the window for more room.... unless you do get an accessible cabin.

Luckily she is quite spry! I am still undecided on what I will do. Perhaps I’ll wait it out and see if there are any price drops on suites between now and then. Fat chance, I know! 

Not a fan of AQ on the Solstice class ships.  Find the price for what you get very inflated.  You are getting a regular cabin with some, IMO worthless amenities.  Also on the Solstice and older ships the cabin placement is poor- Blu while more restaurant style then the MDR, is packed with tables on top of each other- especially tables for two.  Save your money, book a regular well located cabin, with cabins above and below, or CC and dine in specialty restaurants throughout your cruise.  You can get a cost effective package and so many nice specialty restaurants on the ship.

While the AQ lounge looks nice, we find that we go once as we prefer being outside- so you can also pay to go once or a couple of times if you like it.  

Edited by Cruise a holic