Fitness Classes

Sandy1975

I am a Beachbody on Demand (BOD) subscriber and and follow the programs from beginning to end. When I go on cruises, I download the workouts for the week with the intention of doing them but then cruising gets on the way and I either run on the deck or do the treadmill. There seem to be some interesting classes: 

The HIIT - Class Package: $49 - 4 classes or more

Contender - Cardio Boxing Class Package: $69 - 4 classes or more

I would be interested in either one of them but my questions / concerns are: 

Is there a minimum required for the class:

What happens to my purchase if classes get suspended? 

Can I buy a per day pass? 

Are the Peloton or TRX equipment complimentary? Do I need a peloton subscription to use it? 

It would great if anyone that gets on edge soon can find out the answer to these questions. 

Thanks

Edited by Sandy1975
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mit429 said:

Also going to jump on this thread to see if anyone could get any information about spin classes aboard!

Thanks 🙂

Spin classes look interesting. I wonder if you need Peloton membership to use the peloton bikes, or maybe this is the cycling?

Perhaps the Peloton bikes work similarly to those in Westin hotels? At Westin’s It prompts you to sign in or set up a new account.  I have used one at a Westin (have an Peloton app account) and I imagine that once Peloton has your email address you will get emails for purchase. 

The big question with the Peloton is how they will get the streaming to work satisfactorily on a ship. I have buffering issues from time to time at my gym when using the iPad app on a Keiser bike. 

I have been lurking Edge threads waiting for someone to report back re the Pelotons because I am a Peloton addict and it is hard to quit while on vacation. At whatever hotel we are staying, I will use the app on any piece of equipment available and for a Oceania cruise I screen saved some workouts to my iPad and used them while on a spin bike (O lets people use the bikes outside of class times).

7 hours ago, buggins0402 said:

Perhaps the Peloton bikes work similarly to those in Westin hotels? At Westin’s It prompts you to sign in or set up a new account.  I have used one at a Westin (have an Peloton app account) and I imagine that once Peloton has your email address you will get emails for purchase. 

The big question with the Peloton is how they will get the streaming to work satisfactorily on a ship. I have buffering issues from time to time at my gym when using the iPad app on a Keiser bike. 

I have been lurking Edge threads waiting for someone to report back re the Pelotons because I am a Peloton addict and it is hard to quit while on vacation. At whatever hotel we are staying, I will use the app on any piece of equipment available and for a Oceania cruise I screen saved some workouts to my iPad and used them while on a spin bike (O lets people use the bikes outside of class times).

I am hoping someone will report on the fitness center and their offerings. I usually download my beachbody on demand workouts but I would like it if I don't have to. I have never done Peloton but the commercials always catch my eye and I was thinking that I could use this opportunity to test them out. 

• 3 weeks later...

Following this thread. We sail in February and I have been combing the dailies folks are posting to see the offerings for boxing and barre. So far it looks like both of those are only offered on sea days, and maybe not even then. It doesn't seem like buying a package would be worth it, assuming classes are $15-$20 or so, with the limited offerings. I would love to hear reports from anyone who might take classes over the next several weeks. How much are they? Were they decent? Did you need to bring your own boxing wraps or did they have some (clean) ones to use? I can't imagine taking up luggage space with my gloves.

We have a lot of OBC to burn and I plan to burn some of it on fitness classes (pun intended), so I'll report back in March if no one else has!

• 7 months later...
On 12/19/2018 at 4:43 PM, BeeMinor said:

Following this thread. We sail in February and I have been combing the dailies folks are posting to see the offerings for boxing and barre. So far it looks like both of those are only offered on sea days, and maybe not even then. It doesn't seem like buying a package would be worth it, assuming classes are $15-$20 or so, with the limited offerings. I would love to hear reports from anyone who might take classes over the next several weeks. How much are they? Were they decent? Did you need to bring your own boxing wraps or did they have some (clean) ones to use? I can't imagine taking up luggage space with my gloves.

We have a lot of OBC to burn and I plan to burn some of it on fitness classes (pun intended), so I'll report back in March if no one else has!

Hi, I know it's been quite a while.. but I'm searching for any info about the fitness classes. Were you able to take any on your cruise? How was the sign-up process and pricing? Thanks in advance, any response would be greatly appreciated! 

M wife and I do Beachbody Programs in the winter and bike at least 20 miles a day in the summer.   We use to be “coaches” but gave it up as we have most of the programs and it was basically nothing more that pyramid scheme where you paid to get a discount on their products.   

We rarely workout while on board as we now use the time to give our bodies a rest.  

We did attend the 7 am free  morning classes and didn’t consider them to be too strenuous and basically a waste of time for us.  

Being Elite Plus we receive two complimentary classes that wave the $10 or $15 dollar fee.   We both went to the spin class  twice.   It was a decent workout and I guess you could make it as hard or as easy as you want by adjusting the load on the wheel

Take my advice and just the joy the cruise and give your body a rest.   We walk (basically a stroll)  in the ports, use the stairs and etc but the amount of extra calories burned aren’t really enough to offset a cookie or beer.   

Everyone has has their own level of difficulty and fitness.  The best is to just try it and then you will know.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

5 hours ago, MauiMagic said:

Hi, I know it's been quite a while.. but I'm searching for any info about the fitness classes. Were you able to take any on your cruise? How was the sign-up process and pricing? Thanks in advance, any response would be greatly appreciated! 

Hi there, we did take the cruise and I did take a couple of classes. I posted a lengthy review, including of the classes, here.  I wouldn't recommend either the boxing or barre class I took, or, probably, any type of class that requires the instructors to know specific techniques or form. Something like spinning that is what it is might be better. The sign-up process was very easy--I had no problem just showing up at a class and getting a spot--and classes were in the low $20s each if I remember correctly. The fitness center was pushing a week-long class pass hard but it didn't offer great value IMO.

Hi I would appreciate if anyone can help me out here so I know wither to bother to pack any gym stuff.  I am in recovery from Leukemia and also have partial paralysis of right leg due to transverse myelitis 10 years ago.  I have just got to the stage of my recovery that I can think of exercise  (encouraged/endorsed by my physio ).  And I am thinking of buying an exercise bike to start with.  I know there are several different bikes I was hoping to try these out on our up and coming cruise to see which I can work/ cope with best before I buy.  Can I access the bikes for free and are there different types to try is spin versus exercise types. The spin classes look great fun and my long term goal is to get strong enough to try one of these classes out in a year or so. 

4 hours ago, bikerunner said:

Do all the ships have Peloton or just the Edge at this point. 

I remember reading somewhere that Peloton bikes are provided to suite guests of a certain level, and can be requested by others (subject to availability, with suite guests getting preference) for an additional fee. I believe most of the ships now have a few bikes that can be delivered to your room, for use if you already have your own membership. I'm not sure if ALL the ships have been outfitted with them at this point, but I know its something they are implementing. 

4 hours ago, BeeMinor said:

Hi there, we did take the cruise and I did take a couple of classes. I posted a lengthy review, including of the classes, here.  I wouldn't recommend either the boxing or barre class I took, or, probably, any type of class that requires the instructors to know specific techniques or form. Something like spinning that is what it is might be better. The sign-up process was very easy--I had no problem just showing up at a class and getting a spot--and classes were in the low $20s each if I remember correctly. The fitness center was pushing a week-long class pass hard but it didn't offer great value IMO.

Thanks! I really appreciate this information. I have the option to purchase a "class pass" for $49 before sailing and if individual classes are 20+/each then it would probably be worth it for me. 

3 hours ago, fragilek said:

Hi I would appreciate if anyone can help me out here so I know wither to bother to pack any gym stuff.  I am in recovery from Leukemia and also have partial paralysis of right leg due to transverse myelitis 10 years ago.  I have just got to the stage of my recovery that I can think of exercise  (encouraged/endorsed by my physio ).  And I am thinking of buying an exercise bike to start with.  I know there are several different bikes I was hoping to try these out on our up and coming cruise to see which I can work/ cope with best before I buy.  Can I access the bikes for free and are there different types to try is spin versus exercise types. The spin classes look great fun and my long term goal is to get strong enough to try one of these classes out in a year or so. 

They have at least 2 bike types. A regular exercise bike in the gym portion, and the bikes in the spin class room. If you go in during a slow time when there isn't a spin class in session, I think someone could probably show you the equipment and let you "try out" the bikes in the spin room. Good luck! 

23 minutes ago, MauiMagic said:

Thanks! I really appreciate this information. I have the option to purchase a "class pass" for $49 before sailing and if individual classes are 20+/each then it would probably be worth it for me. 

You're welcome! Fitness class info can be quite hard to come by on these boards. For $49 I would guess that's a class-specific pass? I considered buying one of those for barre before we went but even if I had liked the class it was only offered a couple of times during our sailing, and the pass would have wound up costing more than paying as I went. So you may want to see if there are dailies posted as you approach your sail date to make sure it's worthwhile. 

25 minutes ago, BeeMinor said:

You're welcome! Fitness class info can be quite hard to come by on these boards. For $49 I would guess that's a class-specific pass? I considered buying one of those for barre before we went but even if I had liked the class it was only offered a couple of times during our sailing, and the pass would have wound up costing more than paying as I went. So you may want to see if there are dailies posted as you approach your sail date to make sure it's worthwhile. 

Great point, thanks. I just finished reading your full review- thanks so much for that! Yes, the $49 offer is for unlimited classes in any one class type. After what you said about the barre classes ( I'm a serious barre addict so beginner yoga masquerading as barre isn't going to do it for me!) I was thinking it may be better for me to get the HIIT class pack. I'm hoping that even though the classes sound a bit watered down, maybe the HIIT will offer the most strenuous work out, or at least the best chance to push myself. I'm not great at doing workouts on my own, really prefer to have a teacher and class format for motivation otherwise I just walk out of the gym after a few minutes of sitting on a machine and looking around. If I weren't going on a 2 week family wedding trip directly from the cruise where I have to be in formal wear, I would probably just skip the classes but I feel I need to maintain some small level of physical discipline with all of the overindulging I'm sure to do at the Bistro and beyond!  Also- my cruise is a 10 day so hopefully there will be at least 4 classes, making the pack a better value than purchasing individually. Assuming I actually manage to go to 4 classes....

Edited by MauiMagic

17 minutes ago, MauiMagic said:

Great point, thanks. I just finished reading your full review- thanks so much for that! Yes, the $49 offer is for unlimited classes in any one class type. After what you said about the barre classes ( I'm a serious barre addict so beginner yoga masquerading as barre isn't going to do it for me!) I was thinking it may be better for me to get the HIIT class pack. I'm hoping that even though the classes sound a bit watered down, maybe the HIIT will offer the most strenuous work out, or at least the best chance to push myself. I'm not great at doing workouts on my own, really prefer to have a teacher and class format for motivation otherwise I just walk out of the gym after a few minutes of sitting on a machine and looking around. If I weren't going on a 2 week family wedding trip directly from the cruise where I have to be in formal wear, I would probably just skip the classes but I feel I need to maintain some small level of physical discipline with all of the overindulging I'm sure to do at the Bistro and beyond!  Also- my cruise is a 10 day so hopefully there will be at least 4 classes, making the pack a better value than purchasing individually. Assuming I actually manage to go to 4 classes....

Yeah . . . if you have barre experience you would be both confused and disappointed by the ship's barre classes. The boxing class I took was definitely strenuous so it seems reasonable to think the HIIT classes would be too. I also need the peer pressure of the class environment not to walk out of the gym promptly so I feel you!

Depending on where you're going there's also the option of planning some hiking days in port or planning to climb the church towers with 500 steps or what have you. 

1 hour ago, MauiMagic said:

They have at least 2 bike types. A regular exercise bike in the gym portion, and the bikes in the spin class room. If you go in during a slow time when there isn't a spin class in session, I think someone could probably show you the equipment and let you "try out" the bikes in the spin room. Good luck! 

Fab thanks for that.  The gym kit is now in the case.  Hopefully, I will get at least one of the bikes to work for me.  Spin looks great fun and that Peloton ad also amazing, but hand on heart I know that's out so spin goal will do .....for now lol

12 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Fab thanks for that.  The gym kit is now in the case.  Hopefully, I will get at least one of the bikes to work for me.  Spin looks great fun and that Peloton ad also amazing, but hand on heart I know that's out so spin goal will do .....for now lol

Looking through the photos of the fitness center, it looks like there are two types of bikes in the free/public area. I'm not an expert but one looks like a low-sitting model where your legs are at approx a 90 degree angle with your body while peddling, and the second type is the traditional higher seat style more closely resembling a bicycle. Hopefully one or both of those will meet your needs :) Happy cruising! 

40 minutes ago, BeeMinor said:

Yeah . . . if you have barre experience you would be both confused and disappointed by the ship's barre classes. The boxing class I took was definitely strenuous so it seems reasonable to think the HIIT classes would be too. I also need the peer pressure of the class environment not to walk out of the gym promptly so I feel you!

Depending on where you're going there's also the option of planning some hiking days in port or planning to climb the church towers with 500 steps or what have you. 

What a great idea! You are so helpful. This didn't even cross my mind, I can plan to get some exercise while out and about! I even have some of the things you mentioned on my list.... and it did not occur to me these activities would "count" as working out 😆I guess that's the downside of being addicted to barre classes.

I'll be in the Eastern Med late this September so hopefully the weather is nice for a hike up Mt. Vesuvius in addition to some tower climbs and walking around port cities. This may be the time to finally get a fit bit or something like that to count my steps.

Anyone else on the Sept 20th EDGE sailing want a fitness buddy? 

Edited by MauiMagic

29 minutes ago, MauiMagic said:

What a great idea! You are so helpful. This didn't even cross my mind, I can plan to get some exercise while out and about! I even have some of the things you mentioned on my list.... and it did not occur to me these activities would "count" as working out 😆I guess that's the downside of being addicted to barre classes.

I'll be in the Eastern Med late this September so hopefully the weather is nice for a hike up Mt. Vesuvius in addition to some tower climbs and walking around port cities. This may be the time to finally get a fit bit or something like that to count my steps.

Anyone else on the Sept 20th EDGE sailing want a fitness buddy? 

My pleasure! My husband and I have a Western Med sailing booked for next summer and I have already been Googling "Italian Riviera hikes." I find it way more fun to just commit to being active while sightseeing than trying to do a normal workout--in the Caribbean it seems harder but in Europe there's all kinds of stuff to do. Your phone can probably log your steps with reasonable accuracy. And all those barre classes mean your quads are strong enough to tackle the duomos. 😉 

BTW, if you are stopping in Athens, a good sightseeing/workout hybrid is to enter the Parthenon from the back entrance by the Acropolis museum. The lines are shorter at that gate and you have to climb alllll the way up the hill to the temple.

Have a great trip!!!