New to Royal Caribbean - misc questions

My husband and I booked the GRANDUER  out of Baltimore. Loving the idea of a quick drive to port without worrying about flights. My first time on Royal Caribbean,  previous cruises on Regent and Viking Ocean. I have been reading the boards and have some questions I haven't seen discussed.

1. Can I bring my own beach umbrella to Cocoa Cay? We plan to be active so I don't want to pay for a bed but would like to get out of the sun at times.

2. we are a couple, what are the chances of us getting seated at tables for 2 at meals? 

3. Are there mini fridges in the rooms? We are in a balcony room if that makes a difference.

4. We will drive to Baltimore, when we return to the port approximately what time will we disembark?

5. Are all of the cabins ready at the same time, or is the time set by cabin type like on Regent and Viking?

8 minutes ago, cruznwithmom said:

My husband and I booked the GRANDUER  out of Baltimore. Loving the idea of a quick drive to port without worrying about flights. My first time on Royal Caribbean,  previous cruises on Regent and Viking Ocean. I have been reading the boards and have some questions I haven't seen discussed.

1. Can I bring my own beach umbrella to Cocoa Cay? We plan to be active so I don't want to pay for a bed but would like to get out of the sun at times.

2. we are a couple, what are the chances of us getting seated at tables for 2 at meals? 

3. Are there mini fridges in the rooms? We are in a balcony room if that makes a difference.

4. We will drive to Baltimore, when we return to the port approximately what time will we disembark?

5. Are all of the cabins ready at the same time, or is the time set by cabin type like on Regent and Viking?

2. Go to the MDR when you board and tell them your table preference, shouldn't be a problem.

3. There are mini coolers in the rooms. They don't chill like a fridge would..

5. Rooms are usually opened up at 1:00pm for all cruisers. 

9 minutes ago, cruznwithmom said:

Haven't been to Coco Cay but on Labadee, there were loungers under fixed thatch shade areas so you don't need to bring your own umbrella.

I've only done My Time but I do know that if you email the dinining team in advance or go to the dining room on embarkation day you'll most likely be able to get a table for two. It'll most likely be inches away from the next table of two though.

Yes but don't expect them to be very cold.

On most ships you disembark between 6.30am and 8.30am

The only guarantee is that they'll be ready after 1.30pm  - most of the time it's earlier though 🙂

Thanks for the info on when cabins are ready! Viking and Regent cabins open by cabin type - the less you pay the later you get your cabin.

One more generic Royal Caribbean question - I see that I can bring some water in my carryon. If I can't access the room for a few hours after I board, can I leave it in the hall outside my room with a label on it with my room number?

2 hours ago, cruznwithmom said:

Thanks for the info on when cabins are ready! Viking and Regent cabins open by cabin type - the less you pay the later you get your cabin.

One more generic Royal Caribbean question - I see that I can bring some water in my carryon. If I can't access the room for a few hours after I board, can I leave it in the hall outside my room with a label on it with my room number?

That's a good question. I wouldn't leave it in a hallway because the hallway doors may not be open. You might ask a bar/restaurant to hold it for you.

If all the bottles are in the original packaging, you might put it in a cheap duffel and put a luggage tag on it and send it thru with the rest of your luggage.

My only concern with that is getting called to the "naughty room" to have it opened. Others who have done this might post, I never have.... 

Edited by Johnamac123

6 hours ago, cruznwithmom said:

You cannot access the hall to your stateroom before all staterooms are ready because the fire doors are closed.

However, you are fortunate to be on Grandeur because that ship will take your carry-ons and check them in the aft lounge (South Pacific Lounge) on deck 6.

According to some recent posters, there is no longer a carryon holding area.

Do you want a table for two?  Or bigger?  Traditional dining or anytime?  If traditional, you (or your TA) can request what you want on your booking.  If anytime, you can request what you want when you arrive for a meal.

When you do your online checkin, you can request the arrival and departure times you want.  If you want an early departure, just fill in that time.

Do you need bottles of water?  The onboard water is fine to drink.  Many just take a bottle or two, to fill onboard.

You have chosen a good port and good ship!  We love our Grandeur cruises.

To answer your Cococay question, packing a beach umbrella could get a little bulky. You can rent an umbrella on the island for $18. They will have a ton of lounge chairs set up, just pick yours when you get there and go rent the umbrella. 

We sail from Baltimore frequently. The ship usually gets in at 7AM and they usually have everyone off by 9:30 depending on the customs situation. Likewise you can usually board at 10:30. 

I agree that a traditional beach umbrella would be a bit bulky to take on the cruise, but if you want a small umbrella for some emergency shade, I recommend the "Sport-Brella Versa-Brella".  It came in handy for me on our last cruise and could probably fit in a large piece of luggage (my suitcase was too small but it is not a standard size; I carried the umbrella on); includes a clamp to attach to a chair; multi-positional; etc.  Check it out on Amazon!

We requested a table for two last year on the Grandeur by emailing RCLDining@rccl.com about 3 weeks before the sail date.  Include your reservation number, ship name, sail date, and dining time.  They gave us a wonderful table for 4 (but only assigned the 2 of us to it) that was not too close to others.  They will give you a reply email with your assigned table once the request is processed.

Yes, on Grandeur the balcony rooms and higher have the mini fridges (not interior or oceanview).

A tip about the water that I just learned on our most recent sailing on the Grandeur:  You can grab a plastic cup at Cafe Latte-tudes on Deck 6 and fill it with cold water at the Coke Freestyle machine right next to the cafe.  That water tasted more refreshing than the water at the Windjammer/Park Cafe, and the Freestyle machine is very fast... filling at the Park Cafe is slow and not very cold.

Edited by maysill88
Added water tip

On 11/29/2018 at 11:32 PM, cruznwithmom said:

1.  No need, they have them for rent, or there is plenty of shade.

2.  Depends on which dining.  We always have My Time and get seated at a table for 2.

3.  Yes.  They cool better if prop the cabinet door open.

4.  It depends.  If you get up early and self disembark, you can be off about 8 - 8:30.

5.  Yes.  They will make an announcement.  Normally around 1PM.

Grandeur is our favorite.   Holding on until 4/6/19 for the next cruise on her.

On 11/30/2018 at 2:38 AM, Johnamac123 said:

That's a good question. I wouldn't leave it in a hallway because the hallway doors may not be open. You might ask a bar/restaurant to hold it for you.

If all the bottles are in the original packaging, you might put it in a cheap duffel and put a luggage tag on it and send it thru with the rest of your luggage.

My only concern with that is getting called to the "naughty room" to have it opened. Others who have done this might post, I never have.... 

RCI changed the rules.

All beverages need to be carried on now.  You can officially take 12 containers, up to 500 ml each per cabin.  Water or softdrinks.

On 11/30/2018 at 10:29 AM, maysill88 said:

I agree that a traditional beach umbrella would be a bit bulky to take on the cruise, but if you want a small umbrella for some emergency shade, I recommend the "Sport-Brella Versa-Brella".  It came in handy for me on our last cruise and could probably fit in a large piece of luggage (my suitcase was too small but it is not a standard size; I carried the umbrella on); includes a clamp to attach to a chair; multi-positional; etc.  Check it out on Amazon!

We requested a table for two last year on the Grandeur by emailing RCLDining@rccl.com about 3 weeks before the sail date.  Include your reservation number, ship name, sail date, and dining time.  They gave us a wonderful table for 4 (but only assigned the 2 of us to it) that was not too close to others.  They will give you a reply email with your assigned table once the request is processed.

Yes, on Grandeur the balcony rooms and higher have the mini fridges (not interior or oceanview).

A tip about the water that I just learned on our most recent sailing on the Grandeur:  You can grab a plastic cup at Cafe Latte-tudes on Deck 6 and fill it with cold water at the Coke Freestyle machine right next to the cafe.  That water tasted more refreshing than the water at the Windjammer/Park Cafe, and the Freestyle machine is very fast... filling at the Park Cafe is slow and not very cold.

THANK YOU for the info on the water! 

8 minutes ago, cruznwithmom said:

One more question - Do you have time to do more than one thing at Cocoa Cay - like the zipline and the jetskis?  

We will know more about the zipline process after the zipline at Coco Cay is completed and we have feedback from guests.

On 11/30/2018 at 7:13 AM, Host Clarea said:

You cannot access the hall to your stateroom before all staterooms are ready because the fire doors are closed.

However, you are fortunate to be on Grandeur because that ship will take your carry-ons and check them in the aft lounge (South Pacific Lounge) on deck 6.

Any other ships do that?  Adventure?

14 minutes ago, mmsoko said:

Any other ships do that?  Adventure?

Not that I have seen.

Also, I believe someone corrected me on that earlier post and said that Grandeur does not do that anymore.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well our mini fridge cooled on our Grandeur cruise a few weeks ago, in the past  we have had fridges that hadn't cooled much more than room temp, but this time we lucked out. 

Edited by Chipmoose
typo