Jan 3, '19 Transatlantic - boarding where in NY?

Underwatr

Our e-tickets for the 22 December Caribbean Celebration on QM2 say the return terminal is "to be confirmed." The cruise schedule on the website for Cruise New York has yet to be updated past December.

Can someone who is boarding in New York on 3 January confirm that their tickets say they'll be boarding at Red Hook?

1 hour ago, Underwatr said:

Our e-tickets for the 22 December Caribbean Celebration on QM2 say the return terminal is "to be confirmed." The cruise schedule on the website for Cruise New York has yet to be updated past December.

Can someone who is boarding in New York on 3 January confirm that their tickets say they'll be boarding at Red Hook?

Things can change. Can you wait two weeks?

According to the Port of NY schedule, it should be in Red Hook.
Unless there is one of the largest Princess ships in port, that's where she anchors - and the only other ship on the schedule for July 3 is a NCL ship - in Manhattan, as usual.

Because of her length, it's highly unusual for her to dock in Manhattan unless absolutely necessary so overwhelming evidence points to Red Hook.

That information isn't in any official website that I've found. The NYCruise schedule only goes through December. The Port Authority schedule doesn't have anything in the first few days of January (possibly it doesn't include passenger ships). I'd consider those to be the official sources.

I agree that QM2 will be in Red Hook unless there are extenuating circumstances, which is why it's odd that Cunard isn't confident enough to tell that to disembarking passengers, and why I'm interested in seeing what they're telling passengers who are boarding on the 3rd.

On 12/1/2018 at 7:49 AM, Underwatr said:

That information isn't in any official website that I've found. The NYCruise schedule only goes through December. The Port Authority schedule doesn't have anything in the first few days of January (possibly it doesn't include passenger ships). I'd consider those to be the official sources.

You are correct. I went by an independent site used by crew members.
..Although last year, there was a QM2 call that was incorrectly listed as Manhattan on the Port Authority website (simple typo) but was correct on their pdf.

And we all agree that it'll be Red Hook.
Happy Holidays!

The schedule on nycruise.com has now been updated to include 2019. All of QM2's calls for 2019 including January 3, 2019 are showing "Brooklyn" for the terminal as expected. No idea why your Cunard e-tickets state "to be confirmed" as the terminal for your return on January 3.

Thanks for pointing that out. I have no idea either, but thought it odd that after years of them recognizing on the e-ticket that the ship was returning to Brooklyn they hedged on it this year.

The schedule shows that my two crossings in June will be departing from/returning to Brooklyn as well, so I won't have to wonder about that in a few months. :classic_huh:

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

The schedule on nycruise.com has now been updated to include 2019. All of QM2's calls for 2019 including January 3, 2019 are showing "Brooklyn" for the terminal as expected. No idea why your Cunard e-tickets state "to be confirmed" as the terminal for your return on January 3.

John,

Thank you.

Do you have an opinion on the entry:

7/24/19 Brooklyn Queen Elizabeth 2

Do you feel this is incorrect?

Obviously the "Queen Elizabeth 2" should be "Queen Elizabeth"

There are no other ships listed for that date, so the Manhattan terminal is not full.  Wouldn't the QEL normally berth there.

Thank you 

Vince (formerly AutomobileEnthusiast)

7 minutes ago, Dranuc2016 said:

John,

Thank you.

Do you have an opinion on the entry:

7/24/19 Brooklyn Queen Elizabeth 2

Do you feel this is incorrect?

Obviously the "Queen Elizabeth 2" should be "Queen Elizabeth"

There are no other ships listed for that date, so the Manhattan terminal is not full.  Wouldn't the QEL normally berth there.

Thank you 

Vince (formerly AutomobileEnthusiast)

Yeah, it looks like there are at least a couple problems with the nycruise.com schedule for 2019 as currently posted.

First, there's this entry where "Queen Elizabeth 2" should be "Queen Mary 2" on June 30, 2019. "Brooklyn" would almost certainly be correct for this listing since it is supposed to be for "Queen Mary 2".

6/30/19 Brooklyn Queen Elizabeth 2 Transatlantic

Then there's this entry you found where "Queen Elizabeth 2" should be "Queen Elizabeth" on July 24, 2019. I would be a bit suspect of "Brooklyn" for this entry, since Queen Elizabeth typically does dock in Manhattan. I'll see if I can find anything further about this.

7/24/19 Brooklyn Queen Elizabeth 2 Transatlantic

I have used the "Contact Brooklyn Cruise Terminal" link on the nycruise.com site to point out the incorrect references to "Queen Elizabeth 2" and to ask if Queen Elizabeth will actually be docking in Brooklyn on July 24, 2019.

In the meantime, the web site "brooklyncruiseguide.com" shows a "Calendar of Brooklyn Cruises" with these entries for July 2019.

July 2019

July 7: 21-day cruise to the UK, Iceland & Canada on the Queen Mary 2.
July 21: 38-day cruise to Australia on Princess Cruises.
July 24: 15-day one-way cruise to Canada, Iceland, Scotland & Ireland on Cunard Line.
July 28: 7-day one-way cruise to England on the Queen Mary 2.

This provides another hint that QE's July 24 date in New York could indeed be at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. But note the July 24 entry just says "Cunard Line" rather than naming the ship as "Queen Elizabeth". I think there is still some room for doubt at this point as to where QE will be on July 24, 2019.

The schedule on the nycruise.com site has been updated today to fix the references to "Queen Elizabeth 2". The schedule now correctly lists "Queen Mary 2" for June 30, 2019 and "Queen Elizabeth" for July 24, 2019.

The schedule still shows "Brooklyn" as the terminal for QE on July 24, so until we hear otherwise, I suppose we should figure that's where QE will be next year. But then the July 7, 2019 QM2 crossing that I will be on incorrectly lists "Panama" for its itinerary.

• 2 months later...

I'm reviving this thread because I think we have a pattern going on here. Just as Underwatr's e-ticket originally indicated QM2's previous arrival in New York on January 3rd was to be at "Terminal to be confirmed", so does the e-ticket I just received a few hours ago for QM2's next departure from New York on April 21st. My e-ticket states "Terminal to be confirmed" for embarkation in New York prior to QM2's April 21st eastbound crossing. Let's see if my e-ticket is also eventually revised sometime later to indicate the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

I cant' believe that Cunard hasn't fixed this issue.  

We received a runaround from the U.S. Cunard Customer Service when we were sailing from New York on the QE in January 2018.  They gave us different embarkation locations each time we called & initially were insisting that Cunard "never sails" from Manhattan.   Ultimately, we were able to ascertain that in fact the QE was sailing from the piers in Manhattan.

In January 2019, when we were sailing on the Crossing from New York,  the e-ticket (which we didn't receive until we called them to ask where it was) said that the QM2 was sailing from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and that's what happened.

It has been our understanding that unless there is some conflict with a Princess cruise ship leaving on the same date, the QM2 always sails from Brooklyn (probably because it is so long that it juts out to far into the Hudson River).

Barbara Neale

Some years ago my Cunard ticket for a 14 round trip to Hawaii on Queen Victoria showed the message for Lahaina said "tenders may be required at this port". Anyone who has ever been to Lahaina knows that the 60 foot long 'loading' dock at Lahaina is not going to be able to accommodate the QV, but apparently Cunard didn't. Over the years I have found a number of obvious errors in their printed documents, so it is a quirk that I expect.