Familiarity breeds contempt? 3rd time on the Anthem

gepgelmik

Cape Liberty is the best cruise port for me for a variety of reasons, and Anthem the best ship option for me for a variety of reasons. So all three cruises I've been on have been on the Anthem. I won't review it to death because...it's been reviewed to death, but here are some thoughts, some of which might be review-like. Oh- I should probably let you know that I was on the Nov 3rd Boston and Bermuda sailing.

1. I still prefer going solo.

I've been on one cruise with family, and the Nov 3rd  sailing was my second solo. This sailing confirmed my previous thoughts that I much prefer going solo. You get to do whatever you want, whenever you want, and just relax. My previous sailing/first solo I did feel awkward sometimes, like at dinner with strangers, etc. This time, I felt totally at ease and ate alone at a two-top at the MDR every single night. And it was awesome!!  I was nervous about My Time dining versus Traditional since I had different wait staff/table each night, but this turned out to be a non-issue.  I also had lunch in Chops and Jamie's, and had great solo dining experiences in both venues.

2. I chatted with people.

I met absolutely no one my first two cruises, but had great conversations with multiple folks this time around. I'm an introvert and happy with my own company, but I don't mind meeting new interesting people in moderation.  I'm thinking maybe I should make efforts to meet people because I found the conversations I had this time enhanced the experience.

3. I have one important piece of advice.

I suffer from serious overpacking disorder. My previous cruise I barely took anything because of my gall bladder saga (there's a thread about this) and it was great. This time I took too much stuff and regretted it GREATLY during disembarkation. My advice is take half or less of the stuff you think you need. Seriously.

4. YOLO!

I initially booked an interior studio to see what the experience was like and to save money, and as the cruise approached, I was annoyed to find myself feeling dread instead of excitement. I read over previous comments I made about how important a balcony was to me, and I went ahead and switched to a regular balcony. I'm glad I booked the room I knew I really would enjoy. As we pulled out of Boston, I sat on my balcony in my coat and hat and bundled in a blanket, and I was so happy to experience the sight of us sliding past the Silverwind and the end of the airport runway, and the sparkling lights of the city skyline. Pure magic.

5. YOLO side effects...

The only balconies available when I changed rooms were adjoining. Never again. People yell at their kids so much. And kids yell at their parents so, so much. This room was so, so noisy. I know part of it was because it was adjoining, but my suspicions are that the thumping I heard all day except between 11 pm and 7 am was due to the fact that there were so many kids on board. 

I also kinda wished I had booked a room on the other side of the ship, the one that faces NY as you leave port.

6. I liked everything better this time. Seriously.

Some cruisers probably think it's odd and boring to go on the same ship over and over again, but I've found that every time I go on Anthem I feel more comfortable, and therefore have more fun.  

So that's one reason I enjoyed things more this time. In addition, I found the activities to be greatly improved...really liked the addition of historical lectures, new shows, etc. Previously,  I wasn't overly impressed by the pace of the MDR experience and the temperature of the food, but this time my food came out quickly and it was hot. Maybe because I sat alone instead of with other folks? 

7. The future of cruising...

So all in all, I had a great experience on the Anthem. For me, familiarity has bred affection instead of contempt, and I'm kinda sad the ship is being relocated.

Okay, I'm not that sad yet. 

I'm booked on her twice more, March 2019 and March 2020, before she goes to the UK. Unfortunately neither of those are solos, but I guess I can't have everything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for taking us along on your cruise.  Bummer about your rude and inconsiderate neighbors. We don't have any issues cruising the same ship (s) multiple times. We always avoid connecting cabins or hotel rooms. We've never had one but never will. Yes I said never! :classic_wink:

Edited by davekathy

With regard to connecting rooms -- on other ships I have ended up in them and if there's noise coming through, go to guest services and report it. They'll have someone tape up the doors (on both sides I think, but I only ever saw my side of the door). This actually makes a huge difference.

Now, there was one time my cabin neighbors made so much yelling and screaming noise I was truly ready to call ship security and report it and still had expected by the time the cruise was over there'd be a dead body found in there. No connecting cabin; this was through the wall, and it was on Anthem. But I gave them a couple hours, thinking several times it was over, only for it to start up again, then banged on the wall for about 2 minutes non-stop. Never heard them again the entire cruise.

I really don't like the dining room layout on Anthem. If you want a new appreciation for Anthem, though, just go on an Oasis class ship. 

Sailed Anthem 3 times, all solo.  Agree with your thoughts on solo, which is why I cruise solo often. 

Generally speaking MTD is very quick and efficient when I'm solo, any ship.  I've been in and out in under 45 minutes before.  

Solo also means I only have to pay for one drink package, one dining package, one shore excursion, one whatever.  I can go on helicopter excursion, and do stuff I couldn't do in a group. 

Double C&A points doesn't hurt either.