Men's sportscoat or short sleeved dressy shirts

Marie50

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:42 AM, Charles4515 said:

Out of season in the east. I suggest LLBean online. If they have a store in your area they might have some in stock at the store. Check the clearence rack.  Last winter their stock at the store here was minimal. 

Any Macy's type store should have Ralph Lauren(or similar) at good mark down prices.

14 minutes ago, keithm said:

Any Macy's type store should have Ralph Lauren(or similar) at good mark down prices.

Macy's around here have very seasonal stock in the store. Same with the Lord and Taylor which is in my neighborhood. Checking the markdowns and clearence racks is a good idea. 

On 12/20/2018 at 11:48 PM, bob brown said:

I have lots of collared polo shirts, and of course long sleeve button down dress shirts.   I am having a difficult time finding short sleeve button down dress shirts, in almost every store I have looked....any suggestion's?

Try landsend.com for short sleeve dress shirts.

Dave

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:48 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you're flying in for a long cruise, lugging snorkel gear et al., the most useless bit of wasted luggage weight is adding a blazer.

Never had any issue bringing along a sport coat even with the snorkeling equip. You just need to know how to pack.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:12 PM, pinotlover said:

Oceania has a very basic easy to abide by dress code. If some find that dress code uncomfortable then they need to find another line. For some, only grunge is comfortable. What makes people “ comfortable “ is not an acceptable dress code on an upscale line.

Totally agree. We really liked the Country Club casual(as they call it)style on Oceania. I simply state how would you dress at McDonalds? How would you dress at a "nice" rest.? We wore nice shirts & slacks at night. No ties(way too warm we noticed)along with sport coats when in Jacques or Le Reserve.

3 hours ago, keithm said:

Never had any issue bringing along a sport coat even with the snorkeling equip. You just need to know how to pack.

3 hours ago, keithm said:

Totally agree. We really liked the Country Club casual(as they call it)style on Oceania. I simply state how would you dress at McDonalds? How would you dress at a "nice" rest.? We wore nice shirts & slacks at night. No ties(way too warm we noticed)along with sport coats when in Jacques or Le Reserve.

I always have weight/room available for a blazer. But I see zero reason to have one when fine slacks/shirt will do and I'd rather have available luggage space for that special piece of native art I absolutely must have.

5 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I always have weight/room available for a blazer. But I see zero reason to have one when fine slacks/shirt will do and I'd rather have available luggage space for that special piece of native art I absolutely must have.

Same here. Another reason I won't take one when slacks/shirt will do is that if I pack it there is some chance I would have to send it out to be pressed. One time on Celebrity they overpressed my jacket. 

Never been an issue. My jacket folds easily and takes up very little space. 

I do very little in life to the lowest acceptable standards, and personally believe that the Specialties warrant a bit more that the lowest common denominator. I understand where some have different philosophies on both. To each his own. 

Slacks and a button down shirt is like Outback Steak House. I suppose if that is where one views the food, service, and ambiance of the Specialties are at, then whatever one feels appropriate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Same here. Another reason I won't take one when slacks/shirt will do is that if I pack it there is some chance I would have to send it out to be pressed. One time on Celebrity they overpressed my jacket. 

I'm curious -- how do you overpress a jacket? Is it like too much starch????

DH's few jackets don't want pressing so it never occurred to me that "over" pressing could be a problem.

:classic_unsure:

Mura

21 minutes ago, Mura said:

DH's few jackets don't want pressing so it never occurred to me that "over" pressing could be a problem.

Mura

22 minutes ago, Mura said:

Mura

If the jacket is made of something cheap like a polyester blend, it would be very easy to apply too much heat and end up with a shiny finish that is pretty much unfixable.

32 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Never been an issue. My jacket folds easily and takes up very little space. 

I do very little in life to the lowest acceptable standards, and personally believe that the Specialties warrant a bit more that the lowest common denominator. I understand where some have different philosophies on both. To each his own. 

Slacks and a button down shirt is like Outback Steak House. I suppose if that is where one views the food, service, and ambiance of the Specialties are at, then whatever one feels appropriate.

Since your screen name says "pinot lover", I have to assume that your likes extend to fine dining as well.

That said, I trust that you recognize that many Michelin starred restaurants throughout the world do not require (nor expect) many of their traveling patrons to lug a jacket around in an homage to decades past expectations.

We dine out regularly in some well respected SF Bay Area eateries. Sure, some patrons do wear a jacket to dinner. But, it really is becoming the exception rather than the rule. Better slacks/dress shirts here are more the norm amongst locals.

Of course, there is also that pesky "casual creep" at the lower end of "acceptable." But I think it is safe to assume that well worn jeans and tee shirts with baseball caps are still frowned on wherever decorum still rules.

13 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If the jacket is made of something cheap like a polyester blend, it would be very easy to apply too much heat and end up with a shiny finish that is pretty much unfixable.

It was a Brooks Brothers wool blazer.  Not a polyester blend. It was not shiny, it was limp, but I don’t know exactly what they did to the fabric so I used the term over press. I assume they over heated it. 

Edited by Charles4515

12 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

It was a Brooks Brothers wool blazer.  Not a polyester blend. It was not shiny, it was limp, but I don’t know exactly what they did to the fabric so I used the term over press. I assume they over heated it. 

Likely overheated. Wool doesn't do well with a lot of heat. I avoid cruise ship laundry services at all costs. If you read the cruise line "contract", you pretty much get nothing if they ruin any of your clothing.