Aurora TV channels

AndyMichelle

We are very excited to be boarding Aurora for the first time on the 10th December.

Although we do not plan to spend all the cruise watching telly, we do enjoy relaxing on the odd sea day watching a film or something in our cabin.

On our last cruise on Britannia, we always found a film or something to watch.

Can anybody advise on what we can expect on Aurora, not that it really matters as we will find plenty to do, just wondering really.

Thank you in advance.

Andy

It's been a year now so I can't remember the channels etc but I can remember the small tv that had a bad picture and the fact that the bracket was bent and screen at an angle. A year previous we were on Britannia where the tv was excellent. I did mention it to reception and their answer was we will get it sorted sir...........but they didn't. Other than that Aurora is a lovely ship and we loved the cruise. I'm sure you will enjoy it

Hols4

Aurora is a lovely ship and our favourite but the Small tv's let it down,you can hardly read any small print on the screens! Let's hope they change them on it's refit next year but dowt it.

Remember Aurora also has a dedicated cinema and when we were on for the 65 night trip last January we found we went to the cinema more than we'd been in the past year.  They happened to be showing films we'd missed and really wanted to see.  The cinema is a proper one on Aurora, not just a room put aside for showing films.

Lovely ship, but awful televisions, unless they have updated them since last year. You would be better off going to the cinema as the last poster mentioned.

I'm guessing they may install more advanced TV screens when the ship is refurbished next year, and becomes an adult only ship.

We love Aurora, she's certainly my favourite ship, but sadly the TV and channels bear no comparison to Britannia. On Britannia in 2015 there were lots of relatively new films/films I had wanted to see but hadn't been able to, recent TV series, etc. etc. After a busy day in port or when I'd had enough soon, chilling out with a cold drink, watching a film, was a nice way to relax before getting ready for dinner. The choice on Aurora is very poor, as I recall old (and I mean old) TV series, documentaries and films. If we wanted to watch a film on Aurora we went to the cinema, which showed a good selection of fairly recent films.

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Does anyone know what the wheelchair facilities are like in the Aurora cinema, do they have a designated area, and can the carer sit alongside the wheelchair?

Quite poor, unfortunately. As with the theatre, only one of the seats reserved for disabled  guests is level with a space where a wheelchair can go. With the others, the adjacent seats are up steps, so you cannot sit alongside a companion who has to remain in their wheelchair or scooter. Sadly, those with less challenging disabilities (walk with a stick etc) tend to sit in these seats first, even though they might be able to walk up a step or two quite easily. We tend to find that in order to stand any chance of being able to sit alongside one another we have to turn up around half an hour early, which is irritating. 

There are spaces at the very back in the centre, but it’s quite a slope up to it and a self propelled wheelchair user might struggle to get up there. There are also bars between this area and the closest seats. We love the Playhouse on Aurora but fellow guests tend to wander in and out through performances and in doing so leave the door open, so you are constantly distracted by comings and goings and noise from the corridor outside. Sadly, the one decent wheelchair space is very close to the entrance which makes this particularly noticeable. 

And to address the original question, the TV’s on Aurora are absolutely rubbish. Too small, poor picture quality and no interactivity whatsoever. The ones on Britannia are superb. We can live in hope that Aurora May get them in next years refit, but I think it’s unlikely. Great shame as, for the reasons mentioned in my last post, we don’t watch films in the theatre or cinema, but love to watch them on demand in our cabin when we are on Britannia. 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, just back and can confirm the TVs on Aurora are rubbish. Poor picture, too far away and pointless channels. The cinema was very good, but only one film a day shown at various times, so not always to our taste, we watched 2 films in 9 days.

Lets hope the TVs get upgraded in the refurb, but rumours on board are they are only adding cabins and updating some public areas, so I doubt it.