Deboarding/Reboarding in departure port

vedettes1

In most ports, you can come and go from the ship as you please.  But what about at the beginning of a cruise? If I check in and board (in my case Hong Kong), can I then leave the ship and return for sailing?  Or will they require me to stay on board?

I think normally but it may depend on the port.  For example, I would be a bit wary of Vancouver since you clear US Immigration before boarding the ship.  There may also be other ports where you process your departure from the home country as you board the ship.  I think I remember that in Athens.

Roy

Okay, I guess some local laws prevent it. I remembered another instance when we overnighted in Venice and there were no restrictions on how many times we got off/on. I think that's normally the case.

Edited by catl331

6 hours ago, catl331 said:

Okay, I guess some local laws prevent it. I remembered another instance when we overnighted in Venice and there were no restrictions on how many times we got off/on. I think that's normally the case.

I know in Sydney it is allowed when overnighting but not when embarking.

We are departing from Boston on the July 30 Voyage of the Vikings.   Our departure time is listed at 11:00 PM.  We want to drop our luggage at about noon, get our room keys, not board the ship and then go back into Boston for the afternoon and evening.  Since our next port stop is in the US (Bar Harbor) there should be no immigration and customs issues.  Any problems with this plan?

Edited by WisRiver

3 hours ago, WisRiver said:

We are departing from Boston on the July 30 Voyage of the Vikings.   Our departure time is listed at 11:00 PM.  We want to drop our luggage at about noon, get our room keys, not board the ship and then go back into Boston for the afternoon and evening.  Since our next port stop is in the US (Bar Harbor) there should be no immigration and customs issues.  Any problems with this plan?

That plan probably not.

its only if you actually board some ports prohibit you eating off again.

4 hours ago, SeaBands said:

On B2B cruises we never get off. It just makes us get a head start on our drink card by going to our favorite bar if it is open or to whatever one is.

Again it varies by port, some ports getting off between b2bs is compulsory, others it’s not.